Having trouble with my amp.. help?

BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know absolutely nothing about amps and was wondering if anyone could help me out on this...
I bought a Fender tube amp (http://www.activemusician.com/store/product.asp?sku=EM.021-3205-000&ref=wn-lesson-ln) about a year ago and I like the sound a lot but for the past couple months its been making a really weird craackling sound whenever I turn it on. It used to be every once in a while I'd hear a crrackle but now its almost nonstop and its so annoying to play.

The sound is almost like when someone is holding a mic and taps on the top of it.

Anyways, any advice on if/how this can be fixed?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It may be time for new tubes.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    damnit. how much does that cost?
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Turn it on, and tap the control knobs with your finger and see if any specific spots create a loud bang or crackle like you've described.

It just basically sounds like you've got some bum tubes, which happens. Tubes do need to be replaced after some use.

The whole thing shouldn't be too too much to fix up. You may just need to replace the power amp tubes.

This is a good site with some of the best prices you'll ever see:

http://thetubestore.com/12ax70ectyp.html

Those are the preamp tubes. Your amp takes 3 12ax7 tubes or their equivalency. The JJ/Tesla ones at 9.95 a piece are great tubes at about the middle of the road.

These are the power amp tubes. Your amp takes 2 EL84s:

http://thetubestore.com/el846bq5types.html

Once again, the JJ/Tesla ones near the bottom for $17.95 are pretty good tubes. I run them in my amp, and I like them quite a lot.

Someone will know better than I do, but I'm pretty sure you've got a bad tube or tubes somewhere.
    Thank you Dirty Frank!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah that sounds about right to me too DF.

The Preamp tubes last longer and might be ok if you don't want to spend the 30 -50 bucks on new preamp tubes.

Do not buy the EI's. I've heard from several sources including Lord Valve the factory has no heat and work is sporadic, and the quality is in the toilet.

JJ's or TAD's or EH's or Sovtek's will serve you well in that amp. The Blues Jrs are cathode biased so you should be able to swap the tubes out in a certain range, but if you can pay a little extra to get cooler running tubes do it just to be safe. Sovteks are stock. Make sure they are seated properly.

Infact with your own tubes, before you turn it on, just push them up a bit and ensure they are seated properly. Movement can get them lose sometimes.

EL84's will run you about 20 bucks a pair and you need a matched pair.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'm sure this question has been asked about 1000 times, so whats one more. How often do tubes need replacing? I know it depends on use and all that, but just generally.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    moster78 wrote:
    I'm sure this question has been asked about 1000 times, so whats one more. How often do tubes need replacing? I know it depends on use and all that, but just generally.

generally if you play for an hour or two daily most production tubes will last one year. But I think I got 2 out of my first set.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I tried tapping on the little silver springs that hold a couple of the tubes (again sorry for my lack of knowledge of the real names) and I heard a similar to what I have been hearing only louder. Is that a sign for new tubes?