American vs. new pickups?

BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for 3 years now and I'm looking to get an upgrade of some kind. I don't have too much money to spend. Probably about $1,000 at the most but I'd like to spend less if I can. Right now I have a Mexican Strat and I want to updgrade to an American. I don't know too much about guitars or gear, but I've been told that just getting new pickups could do the job and be cheaper. Just wondering if anyone has advice on whether I should get an American or just new pickups? And if I get new pickups, what would you recommend?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    American Strat.

There are other types of guitars too if you're looking for something different. The Schecter C-1 series guitars are in the $450 to $700 range and sound fantastic. Or you could try a Studio Les Paul ($1000 on Musician's Friend).

But! If you've got your heart on a Strat, being a Strat owner myself, who am I to say no? :)

Definitely don't by anything until you have a chance to try out lots of models, and A/B them with your amp (bring it with you!).

Edit: Here's a recent thread on pickups.
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=221075
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I've been playing guitar for 3 years now and I'm looking to get an upgrade of some kind. I don't have too much money to spend. Probably about $1,000 at the most but I'd like to spend less if I can. Right now I have a Mexican Strat and I want to updgrade to an American. I don't know too much about guitars or gear, but I've been told that just getting new pickups could do the job and be cheaper. Just wondering if anyone has advice on whether I should get an American or just new pickups? And if I get new pickups, what would you recommend?
    What sort of sound are you going for?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you could upgrade the hardware (check out callaham guitars they have a kit for mexicans.

Then you can upgrade the pickups and electronics rather easily, and then you could actually have a custom neck built if you want to get saucy and you really know what shape you want.

No real need to go to a different American unless you just want one.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    There are a heap of upgrade options for you. you can buy the pieces to make an deluxe strat individually for about $800 US in total, including case candy.
    A fully loaded pickguard will set you back from $150-$359 depending on the pups and the source guitar.. Honestly, pups have the most effect on tone, with fretboard and other timber differences being a long way down. Individual pups cost as littel as $30. I bought a red lace sensor recently for $32 US.
    You can buy the different bits that suit you and really customise your git

If you are intersted I can direct you to some sites, but if you search e-bay for loaded pickguards you will get onto some shop sites that have everything you can imagine to upgrade your strat !
    There seems to be a premium on "Made in the USA" which far outstrips it's objective value. There is a definite value in owning really nice stuff though.
    Or you could keep the Mexican the way it is, and just buy a new guitar !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Face it, you're gonna want the american eventually. Buy it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • There are so many possibilities. I wouldn't recommend going for american just because it's american. decide what features you want. mexicans are fine.

what exact strat sound do you want? Mike mccready, SRV, Hendrix.. humbucking sound? combination?
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?