PA Systems/Mics

The Tremor ChristThe Tremor Christ Posts: 17
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm a singer in a, well I wouldn't call it a band, missing a drummer and a lead. But, besides that, I'm the singer/guitarist and I need some PA.

I don't know anything about it, where I can get it, etc, so can anyone help me out?

How much would a PA system cost? My plan was to just steal a mic from the video room at my school.

Where can I get it?
What the fuck is this world,
running to you didn't,
leave a message at least I,
Coulda' heard your voice one last time...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Are you looking to buy new or used...or does it matter?
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Doesn't matter. I'm just in dire need.

Very hard on the vocal chords to try and sing over guitar, and drums once we get them.
    What the fuck is this world,
    running to you didn't,
    leave a message at least I,
    Coulda' heard your voice one last time...
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, a price range would probably help a little.

Used will probably be your best bet. I like to look in pawn shops for stuff like this, but unless you check your prices, you can get burned.

Here are a couple new systems to compare to:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040525220103069144041212859434/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/632200/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040525220103069144041212859434/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/631362/

I would stick with something like that... a powered PA head with 4 or more channels, two PA speakers, some mics, mic cable, speaker cable, mic stand(s), and that's that. You'd probably want to upgrade the mic(s) later, but that can wait.

Anything from Yamaha is pretty good, and any Peavey gear with XLR connectors will be pretty good, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Mig have you seen the new soundcraft Gigrac's? I want one I think. I dig soundcraft stuff anyway, 300 watts for $359 (A&H quality) I'm just looking for cost effective smaller speakers that sound good now.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I would check with your local "Bargain Finder" if you have one there. The problem with buying from music shops is that they always jack up the price so that they can make profit....if you can buy a used "full PA" privately thats probably your best bet.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Mig have you seen the new soundcraft Gigrac's? I want one I think. I dig soundcraft stuff anyway, 300 watts for $359 (A&H quality) I'm just looking for cost effective smaller speakers that sound good now.

Those things sound great on paper... I'd love to hear them. The Soundcraft preamps are damn good, and their EQ (not well-featured on the Gigrac, with only 2 bands) is usually amazing.

Your speakers:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040526211627069144041212436337/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/630541/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.