Just Starting Out...

The Tremor ChristThe Tremor Christ Posts: 17
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought an acoustic guitar, and don't know what to do. I will be getting lessons, and can play part of Nothing Else Matters, but I just need advice...Like, what I should be doing/reading/etc.

What advice can you give a beginner?
What the fuck is this world,
running to you didn't,
leave a message at least I,
Coulda' heard your voice one last time...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Become acquainted with the strings, what notes they are, and start learning the notes on the fretboard... it all stems from that
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    The thing I found most helpful when I was starting out....was learning chords....try learning all the major and minor chords....that will give you a pretty good basis....there are lots of websites that tell you how to play those....learning the notes on the strings will also give you a pretty good understanding of the guitar and how it works....

Good luck and keep at it!!!!:D
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    play.....a lot...
    it helps if you play along with the radio or CD's you know... jus tstart wit hsimple songs... and after time you will get to know the sounds and where they are on the neck... if that makes any sense.
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • Originally posted by onejourney
    The thing I found most helpful when I was starting out....was learning chords....try learning all the major and minor chords....that will give you a pretty good basis....there are lots of websites that tell you how to play those....learning the notes on the strings will also give you a pretty good understanding of the guitar and how it works....

Good luck and keep at it!!!!:D

Wanna supply me with some good chord sites?
    running to you didn't,
    Originally posted by The Tremor Christ
    Wanna supply me with some good chord sites?

http://www.crossroads-guitar.com/

http://www.chordfind.com/

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Try these out....hope they help!!!
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • Hmm...well let's try them out.

Hmm...well I don't know if it's working...anyone have any good starter songs?
    running to you didn't,
    Originally posted by The Tremor Christ
    Hmm...well let's try them out.

Hmm...well I don't know if it's working...anyone have any good starter songs?

If you cant figure those out...you may need to wait until your lessons start....those are about the easiest chord references Ive seen...

Some easy songs you could attemt...

Last Kiss
    Immortality
    Off He Goes
    Wishlist
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Most Nirvana and Beatles tunes are good for starters.
  • meraphixmeraphix Posts: 15
    Im still a beginner, in my opinion. I've only been playing for about 1 1/2 years, but I play so much everyday it's unbelieveable. I play a lot of Pearl Jam songs a lot and I find that learning tabs from songs with the CD helps a lot too. Using a Wha pedal and the guitar can alsoimprove yourplayability and it really makes you feel like you can play along to anything .

Good luck
    ÎÒ߀ÊÇ»îÖø¡±µÄ - ²»ÍüÓ›ÄÇ...There aint gonna be a middle no more...ÊÇÄãºÍ²»ÈκÎÈËÁíÍ⣬ÄãÊÇ¿¿×Ô¼ºµÄÁ¦Á¿µÄ¡£Äþ«ÈAºÍ²»·Åé_Ëü¡£
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    indeed.. play cords. it sounds nice and you will play more..
    black is easy.
    elderly woman too
    good luck
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    I bought a beginners handbook for like 7 bucks - I think it's called Alfred's Guide #1 or something to that effect. I think you want to go through the early parts like learning notes, frets, timing, reading bars, etc - in just a few weeks I learned simple melodies like Jingle Bells, Old MacDonald, Love Me Tender, Amazing Grace, Happy B-Day, When the Saints. It's good because you learn the right way and achieve little victories which are fun.

Then I started on PJ and Beatles - but be careful, when you start with songs that have too many chords (that's when you have to press on a few strings on the neck with your left hand and pluck at strings with your right hand at the same time), it can get tedious and frustrating.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03