PA/Mics and Junk

The Tremor ChristThe Tremor Christ Posts: 17
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
For all the singers out there, where can I find a quality
PA system, nothing big, just enough that I can sing over electric guitars.

Cause' in the garage, i'm not much use if I have to yell over the guitars.

Something like 300-500 or lower...I just dont know what to look for qyality or brand wise.

Thanks.
What the fuck is this world,
running to you didn't,
leave a message at least I,
Coulda' heard your voice one last time...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Honestly I think the most over looked company is Carvin. They have many combos for P.A.s that have descent quality equipment for a not so expensive price. As for a mic this is the area where I'd go to another company other than Carvin, look into shure or something like that. http://www.carvin.com
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    i second Carvin.

Also check out the SoundCraft GigRac it's built by Allen and Heath so it's quality inside and out. At 359 it's an excellent rig for what you want to do.

at this point you want to spend the majority of your budget on the PA and worry about speakers later, so spend the 350 on that and get some budget PA speakers like Nady or Kustom. 10's or 12's will be just fine. You can upgrade the speakers when you have more money.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Scour around and look for things.

I found my PA head (Crate PX 700) used for $250. It does well with my band up to and including large bar volume. (read 100-150 people).

I wouldn't overlook the speakers though. Just like with guitar amps... a 412 makes an amp sound louder than a 112. The more air you move, the more volume you have --> the more you will be heard.

I found a pair of 1115s Sunns. They have a 15 inch main and a 1 inch horn. I have directly compared these speakers to 12 inch monitors and the 15s blew the 12s away.

The best part, I found the 15s for $100.

So, for the budget you mentioned... I have my setup. I spent about $400 including the cables. Then I have acquired microphones over time. I started with a Shure SM57, it is versatile as you can mic instruments and vocals well with it. Now, I use that mic as a backup or let another band member use it.

I have an Audix OM-2 now. Great Mic. Best mic in the $100 range. Very clear response, rugged construction.

So, my suggestion: Don't overlook the speakers for being heard in the band. Find a used PA head (at least 350 watts) and some used speakers... you will be set.
    There's No Code.
    Get speakers with the widest horn tweeter you can afford. 4x10 is pretty good. Piezo's have no place in a PA speaker. I'm not saying completely overlook the speakers but you want to build around the PA and get as much power as you can afford. The more power you have the more clarity you will get in any speaker the louder you turn up the volume. The speakers are a big part of what makes Carvin PA's a good value.

Horn's add thier own color to the sound but they also give you a nice wide throw. Unless you have 50 grand to spend on a Rat Sound system horns are the way to go. I'm not sold on that Bose sound stick yet.

I agree going used is a good bet. If you can find some used EV's in your price range go for it. OM-2 is a great mic as is the Sennheiser 835, but the SM-58 and 57 are the benchmark that everybody goes from. The OM-2 sounds a little better I think but then you'd only have 400 or so to spend on the system.

I'd take a hard look at that 4 or 6 channel Carvin system.

Yamaha also has some great stuff in that price range.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Community also makes descent speakers, that don't cost alot.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    i second Carvin.

Also check out the SoundCraft GigRac it's built by Allen and Heath so it's quality inside and out. At 359 it's an excellent rig for what you want to do.

at this point you want to spend the majority of your budget on the PA and worry about speakers later, so spend the 350 on that and get some budget PA speakers like Nady or Kustom. 10's or 12's will be just fine. You can upgrade the speakers when you have more money.

umm it definately aint built by allen and heath i can assure you of that! cause i have worked for allen and heath for the last five years. The only thing we have to do with soundcraft is that they are our major competition. We have just recently released a series called the CP (constant power) which is a very good portable mini powered desk. Id recommend it. Also if you can find one (as we just discontinued them) a DP or DL icon series digital mixer is a very nice funky piece of kit.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    Originally posted by kigcat
    umm it definately aint built by allen and heath i can assure you of that! cause i have worked for allen and heath for the last five years. The only thing we have to do with soundcraft is that they are our major competition. We have just recently released a series called the CP (constant power) which is a very good portable mini powered desk. Id recommend it. Also if you can find one (as we just discontinued them) a DP or DL icon series digital mixer is a very nice funky piece of kit.

ah, never mind then sorry I thought soundcraft was the A&H budget brand. Allen and Heath is fantastic. You definately do a great job. It's just that most of us can't spend $1000 just on the mixer.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I thought soundcraft was the A&H budget brand

Paco... you have so much to learn...

Soundcraft knocks the socks off Allen & Heath in the big game. The Soundcraft Series 5 is a premier console, probably the most-used touring console out there. The only thing better is a Midas Heritage or Legend. I heard something about PJ using a brand-new Soundcraft on the next tour, though, and scrapping their Midas boards. I know they use a Yamaha PM4000 monitor board because Eddie likes the sound.

Not to knock Allen & Heath... I use a GL4+ and I love it to death. The Mix Wizard is a great board, and the Icon digi-mixers are wonderful toys (I use one of those a lot, too).

Now, to the original question... you want good sound, reliability, and clarity? Go with Peavey, best bang for the buck in small PA gear. Get a Shure Beta 57 or Beta 58, it's the best mic for the money... if you can't afford a Beta ($150) then get a Shure SM57. Very present sound, very versatile mic. You'll always own it. Shure reps will shoot a nailgun into a mic and plug it in, start talking through it... they're bulletproof.

For speakers... I highly recommend 12" midrange speakers. 15" midranges are able to push more air, so they sound louder, but they're less clear and intelligable. 15" mids with a tweeter... just too boxy. 10" midranges are great, and from the right company they can push some serious air... but they tend to be weak in the consumer market. Get 12's. Now, piezo vs. compression driver... sure, a horn-loaded compression driver is very nice... ribbons are nicer... but a good piezo is not bad, either. I have a Peavey PA with piezos in my mains and a comp. driver in my monitor, and the monitor sounds better, but cost a lot more.

If you don't have anyplace to shop for used gear, the cheap Kustom packages will treat you alright... get a good mic to sing through, that's the biggest battle. Search Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com) or some of the other catalogs to get prices.

While the Soundcraft Gigrac is a great little toy, I'd be afraid it would bust your budget.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Paco... you have so much to learn...

Soundcraft knocks the socks off Allen & Heath in the big game. The Soundcraft Series 5 is a premier console, probably the most-used touring console out there. The only thing better is a Midas Heritage or Legend. I heard something about PJ using a brand-new Soundcraft on the next tour, though, and scrapping their Midas boards. I know they use a Yamaha PM4000 monitor board because Eddie likes the sound.

Not to knock Allen & Heath... I use a GL4+ and I love it to death. The Mix Wizard is a great board, and the Icon digi-mixers are wonderful toys (I use one of those a lot, too).

Now, to the original question... you want good sound, reliability, and clarity? Go with Peavey, best bang for the buck in small PA gear. Get a Shure Beta 57 or Beta 58, it's the best mic for the money... if you can't afford a Beta ($150) then get a Shure SM57. Very present sound, very versatile mic. You'll always own it. Shure reps will shoot a nailgun into a mic and plug it in, start talking through it... they're bulletproof.

For speakers... I highly recommend 12" midrange speakers. 15" midranges are able to push more air, so they sound louder, but they're less clear and intelligable. 15" mids with a tweeter... just too boxy. 10" midranges are great, and from the right company they can push some serious air... but they tend to be weak in the consumer market. Get 12's. Now, piezo vs. compression driver... sure, a horn-loaded compression driver is very nice... ribbons are nicer... but a good piezo is not bad, either. I have a Peavey PA with piezos in my mains and a comp. driver in my monitor, and the monitor sounds better, but cost a lot more.

If you don't have anyplace to shop for used gear, the cheap Kustom packages will treat you alright... get a good mic to sing through, that's the biggest battle. Search Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com) or some of the other catalogs to get prices.

While the Soundcraft Gigrac is a great little toy, I'd be afraid it would bust your budget.

I humbly bow to your greatness.

You don't see a whole lot of ribbon tweets in PA gear. A bit to fragile for me although very nice.

I'm not much of a Klipsch man in the home market too much color, but for rock, hell the color of the compression driver sound is almost expected. You can get by with piezo's fine it's just not my first choice.

That little Custom Profile One has some nice features for the money about 300 (400 with a 57 or 8 and maybe the speakers are a little small (8's) but yamaha has a cool package right at 499.

The carvin systems start out at 529 I think 2 well built 10's piezo tweets and a 4 channel powered mixer at 100 watts. good system for the money. If you can get them to dump the mics and still give you the same price you can probably get 1 SM 58 or 57 depending on your preference for vocals.