Flying V

The Tremor ChristThe Tremor Christ Posts: 17
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Thinking about purchasing a Epiphone V, this will be my first electric guitar, (I have an Aria acoustic, and have been playing for a bit so I'm not terrible).

But would this be a good choice? And does anyone highly recomend it/not?
What the fuck is this world,
running to you didn't,
leave a message at least I,
Coulda' heard your voice one last time...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    im not gonna comment on the sound of them, because I dont really know that well, except that Epiphone is decent quality, and is a very good brand to buy from if your just starting in my opinion. This being said, one of the design downfalls with the flying V is that you cant play it sitting down! Or it would be very uncomfortable. I believe there may be a devise that allows you to do it more comfortably, but im not sure. Flying Vs are still very cool however, just may not be the best idea if your just learning, not gigging, unless you can find one of those devices ive heard about
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i believe some of them have a rubber tread along the bottom wing to keep it on your leg when sitting.

but, i don't like V's.
  • Ya i dont really like the V's to much. Mostly because of the shape, and the sitting down thing. I like Fender, but if you want an epiphone i suggest an SG or a les paul. My brother just started guitar and picked out an epiphone sg for him, it sounds pretty good.
    Leave your girlfriend on a cement floor...
    Toronto 09/19/05
    Toronto 05/09/06
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    If you sit down to play, the "V" will wear a hole in your leg! There is a rubber strip to keep it from slipping, but it seems like it does so by etching a permanent groove in your thigh:eek:
    A Flying V is more of a show off/ stage guitar. They're fun to play but don't sound much different than an SG.
    SG and Strats are my favorite couch guitars because the cords come out the fronts of them too. They're balanced well, too so that they don't slide off my lap when I fall asleep!:)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    An SG or Explorer would probably be a tad more practical... but if you really want a Flying V, there's no reason to ignore it. I personally LOVE Explorers, but it's mostly an appearance thing. There is little difference between a Flying V, an SG, an Explorer, or a flat-top Les Paul in sound. Plug one in at a guitar shop sometime, play on it... see how it feels... if it's what you really want, go for it!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,104
    I have an 1993 epiphone v which i used as a stage backup guitar for 2 years. i bought it used on an online auction. i had to do a little work on it to get it to my liking though, such as dimarzio distortion pickups, grover tuners, and a better toggle switch, which i wore out. i have played several Vs, such as jacksons, deans, and even gibsons and i will say that they tend to be somewhat headstock heavy, meaning that if you take your left hand off of the neck, it will tend to tilt toward the ground, which makes them somewhat cumbersome to play b/c not only are you playing, but you are holding the guitar neck up as well. Actually mine is maple and is very well balanced, it has never tilted on me. i love to play it b/c there is total access to all frets, meaning no cutaway or part of the body gets in the way. it does take a little getting used to playing it. since the body is angled away from the neck instead of toward it like most other guitars, it makes the guitar longer so i had problems with hitting my headstock or the bottom leg of the v on things such as amps or other members of my band. Sadly, I don't play mine out anymore. the v got relegated to "3rd fiddle" status several months ago when i got a gibson les paul to use as my primary and my then primary epiphone LP is now my backup. bottom line is the epiphone v is a good guitar and i love the way they look and sound.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."