Beginner (Guitar)

NothingbetterNothingbetter Posts: 570
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I've been told that my first endeavor should be to learn the power chords, as you can supposedly play anything with those. Is this true? Any recommendations on how to go about self starting? I've already learned a few chords here and there, and am currently working the power chords. Just wondering if any of your pros have recommendations of what to do?
Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I will say learning power chords will make you able to write songs instantly, and not bad songs if you are a good writer. Power chords are a great help to song writers. They are also good to learn for playing alot of other peoples songs. Lukin for instance is entirely made up of power chords on 1 string I think, which makes it easy to play once you have power chords down.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Don't rush in. Learn finger exercises, basic chords and songs, scales. That's just my two cents, I've been playing for about a year.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Learning open chords is a bit harder, but also usefull. I'd also learn on an acoustic for about a year or so, that will strengthen up your hands so that when you make the switch to electric you'll have stronger fingers. Plus on acoustics you can hear your mistakes(not pressing hard enough on the strings, etc) much better so you can improve faster.
    Those are my two cents.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com