Guitar Tab for "Jeremy"

NothingbetterNothingbetter Posts: 570
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I'm learning the guitar now and I decided the opening to Jeremy should be easy enough to pick up. Something to give me a bit of confidence and break up the monotony of lessons. I just finished taking lessons for 6 weeks, and have been learning on my own for a few months as well.

Anyhoo, I can sort of hit this opening, but after hitting the A chord (5th string), it says to hit the 5th fret, 5th string, then 7th fret, 5th string....but it has a little rainbow symbol above the 5 to 7. What does this mean? I need to hit it quick? I need to slide it? Hammer it? What?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    yes that is a hammer on.....hit the five and with your index on the 5th and then whip your index on the 7th......check out giventowail.com for PJ tabs.....here are some easy riffs:

rearviewmirror
    wishlist
    alive
    do the evolution
    i am mine
    corduroy
    immortality

just to name a few
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    oops, i mean whip your RING finger onto the 7th
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • you're seeing harmonics. thats when you lay a finger down on the string but dont press down.. it creates a sound.. its hard to describe.. you just have to learn how.. find someone (a teacher perhaps) who knows how to and just learn from them.

by the way.. to second what that guy said..

http://www.giventowail.com

best pearl jam guitar tab site. period. equipment info and other things too :)

edit:

actually you're seeing hammers. i think that guy explained it.

but just for future reference.. 5* means harmonic on fifth fret. 7* means harmonic on seventh fret.. and so on.. the more you know right?.. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • NothingbetterNothingbetter Posts: 570
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I will check out the site.

I bought a book off of Ebay that has the sheetmusic and tabs for the Ten Album, so I was going off of that. I figured it was a hammer, but wasn't sure.

Again, thank you very much for the help!
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

• JasmineJasmine Posts: 22
    you're seeing harmonics. thats when you lay a finger down on the string but dont press down.. it creates a sound.. its hard to describe.. you just have to learn how.. find someone (a teacher perhaps) who knows how to and just learn from them.

The Harmonics for Jeremy are REALLY easy... after you play the first riff, lay your middle finger over all of the strings on the 12th fret. But REALLY REALLY lightly. Just enough to cause vibration between your finger and the string. While you are doing this pluck the 4th and then the 5th stings.
    Practice it until it sounds right. It should almost mimick the sound of playing the glasses (you know, when you fill a crystal glass with water, and trace your finger around the rim?) That really soft, vibrating almost harp like sound.
    Most of the time, harmonics are done on the 12th fret. Just practice, you'll get it! :)
    ONWARD!... but not upward... that would be weird.
  • NothingbetterNothingbetter Posts: 570
    Jasmine wrote:
    The Harmonics for Jeremy are REALLY easy... after you play the first riff, lay your middle finger over all of the strings on the 12th fret. But REALLY REALLY lightly. Just enough to cause vibration between your finger and the string. While you are doing this pluck the 4th and then the 5th stings.
    Practice it until it sounds right. It should almost mimick the sound of playing the glasses (you know, when you fill a crystal glass with water, and trace your finger around the rim?) That really soft, vibrating almost harp like sound.
    Most of the time, harmonics are done on the 12th fret. Just practice, you'll get it! :)

I'll try that. Thank you, Jasmine :)

• JasmineJasmine Posts: 22
    :) hey, no problem darlin.
    ONWARD!... but not upward... that would be weird.