Options

Eddie Vedder Writes Foreword For New Pete Townshend Biography

jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
edited October 2008 in The Porch
Posted on 10C:

http://tenclub.net/news/index.php?what=News#281

Eddie Vedder has written the foreword to "Who Are You: The Life of Pete Townshend", an exhaustive, critically acclaimed study of the life and career of the legendary guitarist and composer. Author Mark Wilkerson spent ten years researching and writing the 642-page book, and conducted exclusive interviews with Pete Townshend and several others, including Townshend's friends, family, and other associates. Wilkerson's book explores Townshend's West London roots, reminds us of the excitement he generated with The Who in those early days and brings his story right up to date with many fascinating stops along the way. The book, published by Omnibus Press, includes dozens of photographs and was edited by noted Who scholar and author Andy Neill.

Author Mark Wilkerson is commemorating the U.S. launch of the book this month with a book tour which also coincides with The Who's upcoming U.S. mini-tour. The book tour will begin in Mark's adopted hometown of Louisville, KY before heading to cities which also appear on The Who's upcoming concert itinerary. Mark will talk about Pete Townshend and the book and will sign copies at the following Barnes & Noble Booksellers locations:

Sunday, October 19 - Louisville, KY, noon
Saturday, October 25 - Philadelphia, PA, 7pm
Sunday, October 26 - Boston, MA, 2pm
Sunday, November 2 - Washington, DC, 7pm
Saturday, November 8 - Los Angeles - time and exact location TBD

"Who Are You: The Life of Pete Townshend", published in paperback, lists for $29.95 in the U.S. It is in stock and ready to order at The Who's official online store and is already available in Europe and Asia, and released in the U.S. this month, the book is also available at all major web outlets and bookstores.

For more information about Mark's book, and for updates regarding the book tour, visit his website: http://www.townshendbio.com
So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
You're batman!- George
Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 788
    Sweet! Love the PT!
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Cool...can never read enough Pete Townshend books!

Funny though, this was in Q mag in the summer and I mentioned it here...oh well! Glad it's got attention now!

Yay!!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    Thanks all...this will be a definate addition to my must read pile....
  • Options
    pj622pj622 Posts: 110
    Awesome! Will definitly read it! :)
  • Options
    Yay!! Gonna buy it.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    read behind blue eyes by geoffrey giuliano 4 years ago. thats enough pete townsend for me. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I'm definitely going to buy the book and plan on hitting Mark Wilkerson's Philly appearance.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    I'd like to read it.....:)
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    oh, i gotta read this!! what could be better? my favorite artist writing about another one of my favorite artist!
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    when the book gets published and is on the shelves, is there anyway someone can post the Foreword?
    bookstores aren't really my thing haha
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    Here's hoping nobody posts the foreword here. Go read it in the book!
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    Nice, it'll be a nice bday gift for myself
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Eddie loves him some PT!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,781
    when the book gets published and is on the shelves, is there anyway someone can post the Foreword?
    bookstores aren't really my thing haha

No, I'm sorry but to respect the author's copyright, do not post the foreward here. You can see it in the book. Thanks!

Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    This book was released earlier this year in the UK...I have it in hardback. The foreward is pure Ed!

The book itself is really good. Very detailed. I did lose interest from the end of the 70's/early 80's onwards. Worth buying though.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I will be doing a book discussion/signing at the Barnes & Noble in Georgetown (Washington DC) on Sunday, 11/2 at 7pm. This is the evening prior to The WHo's DC show.

Also on Sunday Nov 9 I'll be doing a book discussion/signing in L.A. (Barnes & Noble, The Grove) at 4pm, just a few hours before The Who play Nokia Theatre a few miles away.

Hope to see you there.

Mark Wilkerson
    http://www.townshendbio.com