Drummers

PamelaPamela Posts: 4
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm buying a new kit for live shows any suggestions, money's no matter.
I used to be Totaledhead :P
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    what style do you play?

I'd have to play everything before I made a decision.

Try different shells and different head combinations.

I really like DW. It just seems like it's well built to me. I hear Orange County percussion is nice as well.

Matt Cameron Plays Ayotte and Yamaha as far as I know. Also very well built stuff.

Make sure you get a nice equipment rack with room for expansion and build from there.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If money is no issue, Orange County Percussion and Ayotte are the fucking bomb.

If you want something great, but don't want to pay out the nose for it, Premier, DW and high-end Yamaha.

For great kits at moderate prices, entry-level Premier, Yamaha, Pearl, and Sonor.

For an econo kit that kicks ass, I like the Sonor and Pacific Drums stuff. Pacific is an entry-level DW kit (made by DW) so it's got a good name behind it.

I play a Sonor Force 2001 kit (# is model #, not date). It's got basswood shells, and with new heads, it sounds absolutely great. I recently picked up a piccolo snare for it, too, and that makes it really sweet. I'm waiting to get some good cymbals, but good brass costs some serious money. Right now, I need a nice Dry Ride and a good Dark Crash.

Keep the cymbals and new heads in mind as you price stuff out... cheap brass and factory heads will make a great drum kit sound cheap.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • silassilas Posts: 23
    If it's for places where the safety of the set could be questionable, I would go with a Pearl Export/Export Select or other brand equivalent (sorry but most of my experience is with Pearl). If not, then I would go with a Pearl Sessions series such as a BRX, SRX, or maybe even a MMX if you want to use something that nice.
  • DrummachineDrummachine Posts: 34
    i would recommend DW or Yamaha (doesn´t matter what wood type-it denpends on music you play and your personal preference...)
    Matt plays Yamaha Birch custom Absolute and also he uses DW (in soundgarden-black hole sun video and also during recording sessions of Riot Act- i have a few pics and he sits behind them.)

if you would like to buy also high-end cymbals, go for Pacific Drums And Percussions- they are much cheaper DWs made of quality wood and their price is only about 1,000 $...
    me: www.myspace.com/mariomarcinek

my band: www.myspace.com/mofokillerain

official site: www.stonerock.sk
  • artin90artin90 Posts: 66
    get a Maple Kit for live shows that really comes out.
    “ ahh…. Yaa…. If you trust me at all… if you wanna listen to me at all… which you certainly don’t have to. Speaking from experience I can tell you that things change. You could believe me, you don’t have to. They probably won’t change, unless you make them. The best way to change something around you, something you don’t like, is.. to change yourself. I don’t think you want other people changing you.. I think.. I think.. the only person you want changing you… is yourself. So if you ain’t happy…. If you’re reading magazines about generation x’s and thinking ‘ya im one of them’ well fuck that…. Don’t let anybody tell you who you are. No… No…. No one can tell me who I am. I can tell you who I am but that would be a long story… I can tell you who I am and it wouldn’t fit in a Rolling Stone…. It wouldn’t fit in a video… it wouldn’t… its my life…. Its your life. Youre the only one that knows who you are. I hope you know who you are. If you don’t know who you are, figure it out. Cause you are some body. And Im probably stating the obvious. But I just thought I would do it anyway. So if you fell like you got a piece of duct tape on your mouth, if you feel like you cant speak. Take it off, Speak up. Speak your Mind. Shout it Out. Let ‘em Hear Ya. Shout it out…… YAAA YAAAAA yAAAAAAAAAAA.” Eddie Vedder (Porch ’96 Randle Island 2)

10/22/03
    Ten, No Code, Vs., Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Binaural