Help. I want to be a drummer

yohnsonyohnson Posts: 5
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've wanted to start drumming for as long as I can remember, but never had the money to buy a kit. Where should I start? What's a good kit to buy, and should I take lessons or just try to teach myself. I'm not doing this to join a band or anything, at least for now I'm not. Just want to do this for fun. Thanks for the help.
To myself I ... surrender
To the one I'll never please ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If you wanna be a drummer, quit school and/or any good job you might have, get a job delivering pizzas 14 hours a week, and get a girlfriend whose parents will let you crash in their garage.

Okay, seriously...

I'd just be on the lookout for a decent used Pearl or Tama kit, or something like that. Something with a basic selection of cymbals already included, for like $300-500. You could pick up a decent beginner's kit for about $400-600 and then a beginner's cymbal package for another $200 brand-new. Drums get really expensive really fast. A good kit (not primo, just good) costs above $1,000 and the basic cymbals (hi-hats, ride, two crashes) would cost about $700. Adding on toys, getting good drum heads, upgrading hardware, and keeping around drumsticks can add on a lot of hidden costs. Get a decent kit that won't cost too much, but won't be worthless to you in a year if you really take off on the drums. The nice thing about drums is that you can upgrade pieces at a time, instead of the whole thing (like a whole new guitar or a whole new amp).

Now, if you're not a musician already, I'd start with some lessons. At least three or four sessions, I'd go as far as recommending a year or more. If you've already played an instrument and kinda know how a drumkit works, you could start just banging away and get comfortable. Lessons, for at least the rudiments, are always a great idea.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • yohnsonyohnson Posts: 5
    thanks, and like your name says, mcready is god. I particularly liked your first suggestion. I would love to quit my job and drum for a living. I can only dream. Speaking of drummers, I once interviewed Matt Cameron. Kind of gave me inspiration to pursue drumming.
    To myself I ... surrender
    To the one I'll never please ...
  • look for a good teacher and take private lessons. also, listen to a lot of differfent bands/styles to get different ideas. practice practice practice!!!
  • AC/DC is the best beginner drum music of all time ! Get Highway to Hell & go from there ! If this seems hard after a lot of practicing then change to a diferent instrument ! AC/DC will give you a basic concept for keeping time & spacing for fills ! Any other questions, feel free to ask !
    Peace
    BOOM-DA-DA-DA-DA-BOOM-BOOM-DA-DA