Drummers: Cymbal Question

Sea and SandSea and Sand Posts: 6
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
This is kinda hard to explain, but I'm looking for a cymbal that you can crash on and keep a beat, like playing on your hi-hat. Umm...like on every downbeat. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions a cymbal to use for that. I'm Zildjian fan myself, and my crashes are 15" and 17" Zildjian K dark. I love these cymbals, but they tend to wash out pretty quick. Would a "fast crash" be good? And should I be looking for smaller cymbals like 14" or larger like 18" or 19". I hope everyone understnad what I'm looking for.

-Steve
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Looking for something kinda like an open hi-hat?

I have a cheap Sabian XS 16" crash that works great for that. It's bright, fast, and doesn't wash very easily. I'd recommend something like 14"-16" and fast, yes.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BaddayBadday Posts: 16
    15" - 16" A-customs would be my choice....
    How did it all got us talking
  • A cymbal to crash and ride on? Well then, you're looking for a ride cymbal, for sure.
    The Zildjian 21" Sweet ride is very, very crashable, but it does tend to get a bit washy, and lacks riding definition.
    I have a regular Zildjian 20" K ride, and I crash on it all the time, plus it has excellent ride definition.
    Those were just the two that I've had experience with. But what I suggest overall is just to get a light- to-medium-weight ride, 20" or more. You don't want to get too heavy of a ride, otherwise you won't be able to crash without it sounding like ass.
    I wouldn't suggest getting a crash to use as a ride, nor would I suggest getting any beginner cymbals - they're just not worth it, in the long run.

Good luck!
  • Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Its funny, I own a Zildjian K 20" ride and I' guess I've never tried chrashing it. Maybe I'll try that. With all these suggestions, It makes me want to buy a 14" or 15" fast crash and a 18" or 19" fast crash. Man, I hate gear addiction...ya keep wanting to buy more and more.

-Steve
    I need a new ride (looking at a Paiste Dark) and a new crash (probably Zildjian A- or K-custom 17"). Damn, good brass costs a lot. At least I have good drums, good heads, and good hardware...
  • Originally posted by Sea and Sand
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Its funny, I own a Zildjian K 20" ride and I' guess I've never tried chrashing it. Maybe I'll try that. With all these suggestions, It makes me want to buy a 14" or 15" fast crash and a 18" or 19" fast crash. Man, I hate gear addiction...ya keep wanting to buy more and more.

-Steve

Keep in mind that usually each cymbal (especially for Zildjian) sound different - even if they're the same model. Basically choose whatever sounds best to your ears. But let me just speak my mind again, and say that I don't think crash cymbals are good for riding (except on the very odd occasion for a more unique sound).

And, McCreadyIsGod, Paistes are expensive, aren't they? That's excatly why I've never tried them.
    Originally posted by Space Monkey
    And, McCreadyIsGod, Paistes are expensive, aren't they? That's excatly why I've never tried them.

I found a Paiste Alpha Dry Ride for $166. That's probably what I'll get... a dark ride would be in the $300 range. But I learned right away that you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get. I could probably get a comparable Zildjian for less, but I want to get the exactly right one. I bought my drums for recording purposes, so I need to have stuff that records well.
  • Well, I don't really want to use the crash as a ride, I want it to break up. I just want to use it for "rockin' parts of songs. Fast crashes would probably be the best for what I want because they have fast decay, and won't wash out the rest of the music. I guess what I'msaying is I want to be able to "keep a beat" if that makes sense.

I think I may just be confues on what I want, because I want to be able to do some Keith Moon stuff by having a light ride that breaks up easy. It made his playing sound even more full. Did anyone know for about two years around 1968 and 1969 he didn't even use a hi-hat? crazy...
    My lil' 16" works great for that...

Like for the 1 and 3 beats, just big powerful sections of songs...
  • artin90artin90 Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Badday
    15" - 16" A-customs would be my choice....

i know exactly what you need. listen K cymbals are very dark and dark cymbals have no definition they just have a loud muddy sound. bright cymbals have all the definition so its more exact. Try this: an A Custom Fast Crash its awesome! i have one and it works great try one at a store or something
    “ ahh…. Yaa…. If you trust me at all… if you wanna listen to me at all… which you certainly don’t have to. Speaking from experience I can tell you that things change. You could believe me, you don’t have to. They probably won’t change, unless you make them. The best way to change something around you, something you don’t like, is.. to change yourself. I don’t think you want other people changing you.. I think.. I think.. the only person you want changing you… is yourself. So if you ain’t happy…. If you’re reading magazines about generation x’s and thinking ‘ya im one of them’ well fuck that…. Don’t let anybody tell you who you are. No… No…. No one can tell me who I am. I can tell you who I am but that would be a long story… I can tell you who I am and it wouldn’t fit in a Rolling Stone…. It wouldn’t fit in a video… it wouldn’t… its my life…. Its your life. Youre the only one that knows who you are. I hope you know who you are. If you don’t know who you are, figure it out. Cause you are some body. And Im probably stating the obvious. But I just thought I would do it anyway. So if you fell like you got a piece of duct tape on your mouth, if you feel like you cant speak. Take it off, Speak up. Speak your Mind. Shout it Out. Let ‘em Hear Ya. Shout it out…… YAAA YAAAAA yAAAAAAAAAAA.” Eddie Vedder (Porch ’96 Randle Island 2)

10/22/03
    Ten, No Code, Vs., Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Binaural

• I would suggest a 20in K crash which should fit nicely ! Mine is just like a bad ride with more lathing takin out ! Just thin enough to be a crash & not a ride @ all ! If you have any more questions, please ask !
    Peace
    BOOM-DA-DA-DA-DA-BOOM-BOOM-DA-DA