50's telecaster w/Bigsby

StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
has anyone ever played one of these?

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0256702534

I'm thinking about getting one for christmas. The 1500 jazzmaster didn't go over well with the 'rents, and this one looks pretty damn sweet for 949$.

I think it's japanese. I've got a mexican Tele Deluxe and i love it. If I bought a regular tele, I'd wind up putting a Bigsby on it anyways so really its like killing two birds with one stone. :D

and wow that blonde finish looks beautiful

just wondering what the general consensus here was on japanese teles and etc etc.
"What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    my only beef with MIJ/CIJ instruments is the quality of the pots/switches/jacks. pretty cheap.
  • I prefer the 60s, but thats pretty sweet!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhausted wrote:
    my only beef with MIJ/CIJ instruments is the quality of the pots/switches/jacks. pretty cheap.

That irritates me, too. I can live with a lot, but when I'm looking at someone's $900 dollar guitar, and they saved a couple of bucks at corporate headquarters on the pots and scratchy switches ,, I ,,, I,,, well, I don't know what I do!. haha, throw some switches in like a lemming I guess. :D
    Someday maybe Telecasters will finally have a jack plate system that doesn't loosen up every hour or so, too.
    Otherwise they are well made guitars. The fit and finish is good on them.

That looks like a great guitar. I love playing a Tele with a Bigsby. They just seem to go together. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

That looks like a great guitar. I love playing a Tele with a Bigsby. They just seem to go together. :)

I can't imagine playing a guitar without a Bigsby anymore.

i've been corrupted.

thank you uncle Neil.

http://folk.uio.no/hanakrem/music/jpgs/neil_young_bw1.jpg
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Good wood...iffy electronics and hardware. Not bad instruments at all...but you will likely want to upgrade the electronics as time goes by. Tuners could stand an upgrade too.

I do prefer te MIM's personally..as there's little if any difference between them and the USA stuff.
  • My problem with it is adjusting the saddles. They should of mounted the screws the opposite way like they do on the Relic version. It can be fixed but it's a pain in the butt.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • that guitar looks beautiful, doesn't stone use one of those? he uses a 60's one tho? rite?he one he swaped mike for another guitar...

oh well...

looks awesome...i bought a fender standard (mexican made) tele at the end of last summer, in red...sounds very good although the jack input thingy is always loose :¬/

without noticing its a 60th anniversary edition thingy or something, has a little stud on the back of the head that has the diamond and ses 60 dunno bout that tho lol

thing is on the standard tele, atleast mine, the jack input thingy is like an indentation in the guitar so to tighten it its quite hard to get to it...get what im saying?? its like a small pot and on the inside is the jack input thingy and the tightening thingy...
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    enharmonic wrote:
    Good wood...iffy electronics and hardware. Not bad instruments at all...but you will likely want to upgrade the electronics as time goes by. Tuners could stand an upgrade too.

I do prefer te MIM's personally..as there's little if any difference between them and the USA stuff.

I've had my MiM Tele Custom for over 3 years now and I have not had any problems with it at all *knocks on wood*. I had a luthier friend of mine give it a proper set-up when I got it, so the neck tension is what it's supposed to be for the guage of string I use, intonation, stuff like that. I love it. I've been tempted by a tele with a bigsby too, but I'm tempted by this one...

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0256800509

mmm...
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    has anyone ever played one of these?

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0256702534

I'm thinking about getting one for christmas. The 1500 jazzmaster didn't go over well with the 'rents, and this one looks pretty damn sweet for 949$.

I think it's japanese. I've got a mexican Tele Deluxe and i love it. If I bought a regular tele, I'd wind up putting a Bigsby on it anyways so really its like killing two birds with one stone. :D

and wow that blonde finish looks beautiful

just wondering what the general consensus here was on japanese teles and etc etc.

i've played one. they had one in at one of my local shops. it was extremely nice. i seriously considered trading my tele in on it.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    thanks for all the replies guys....:)

I'm gonna go to my local Fender store and see if they have it. If so, I'll let you all know what I think.
    well I went and played it at the store and fell in love.

it sounded really great for a japenese guitar too. I was pleasantly surprised. the finish is beautiful and the bigsby is sweet.

got it for $900

parents say I can't play it til Monday though :(

I'm dying here.
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    FUCKING GREAT guitar. Get the white one. Looks 10 000 times better. Japanese dudes rock.
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
    jbd wrote:
    FUCKING GREAT guitar. Get the white one. Looks 10 000 times better. Japanese dudes rock.

heh too late....I went with the blonde one

it really is a beautiful guitar.
  • I prefer the red myself, but congrats!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    StoneG82 wrote:
    heh too late....I went with the blonde one

it really is a beautiful guitar.

White, blonde, same thing ;-) It's actually "White Blonde" to be exact. You made the right choice !
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm