Advice for a little rocker

brandonsmombrandonsmom Posts: 19
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
My nine year old son recently went to his first "real" concert- Green Day-
He has become obsessed with learning to play the guitar. He listens to rock radio and Cd's -He is currently listening to lots of Foo Fighters, Green Day,
and other Guitar Driven Bands. We have promised him Guitar lessons if he keeps his grades up. Question: What type of guitar should he get? Does it matter if it's from Jc Penny? I want him to have the best chance of learning to play with something that sounds right. Price is not much of a concern- although I don't to sink a lot into what turns out to be a whim. He appears to be very interested-what do you suggest? Thanks 4 help- Brandonsmom
I am a bear of little brain and long words bother me. WTP
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• get him a cheap Fender Squier.u can normally get them with a small amp as part of a package.definitely get him lessons because after the first couple of weeks you'll know if he really wants to learn and it'll give him targets to learn
    Cornell pwns u
  • oh yes-lessons are an absolute. he has been a competitive gymnast all his life-so this is quite a switch, thanks for the help! -Mom
  • i'd always start with a acoustic, it's a bit harder to play and if you can play barrecords on an acoustic, electric is a piece of cake, of course i also understand that he's a nine year old and just wants to rock out lol. But for you as a parent support him all the way, because he is probably gonna be very frustrated if he can't play all Green Day songs after a week. So support is very important, and patience is even more important. tell him to be patient. If he keeps on practising steady everything will come eventually :)

for the acoustic try i'd recommend for a starter a Rogue Dreadnought, those things cost less than 60 bucks and play better than an average 200-400 one. the brand is relatively unknown, but i have yet to read or hear a bad review.

also because he is only 9, it might be best to get a 3/4 scale guitar, which is a bit smaller sized. i don't know how "big" your son is, but have him at least try it out in a store (both sizes i mean) so that he can chose which one is more comfortable for him.

hope that helps :)
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • Start with acoustic. He may complain about it now, but he'll thank you later. If you can play well on acoustic, you can play anything on any guitar.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I would say go for an acoustic as well. They are a bit tougher to learn on and a bit tougher for kids/small hands...but its the best way to start. They are, in general, much more unforgiving in terms of hiding mistakes...so theyre the best way to learn. There is also the conventional wisdom that if you give a nine year old an electric guitar and an amp, he's going to make a lot of noise and do very little actual learning. That may or may not be the case...but it is certainly true that you cant make much mindless racket with an acoustic...or at least its not as fun ;) Thus, its going to encourage actually *learning* to play.

I havent been in the market for a while, so I cant give any specifics...but an entry level short-scale (he might be able to play a full-size, depending on how big he is) acoustic shouldnt be more than $100-150. It would be a great way to test his seriousness about learning...make sure he knows that in the future (if he attains a certain goal...learning to play such-and-such a song or something of the sort), he can get his hands on the "real" electric.

One note though...I wouldnt buy anything from a department store or a place such as that. It would be fine Im sure, but it would be much better to get it from a reputable guitar or music shop, I think. The difference between learning and not learning could be a shitty, unplayable guitar...and though Ive never personally sampled Jc Penney's selection, I would bet they fall into that category ;)
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Go with a Strat. I have a black and white one that I would send to you on Monday. It is a standard Fender Stratocaster. I have been playing it for some time and it is in perfect condition. It's loud and the action makes it extremely easy to play. I took it in this week and had the intonation adjusted, new strings and a full $50 tuneup. It sounds better than my $799 Strat that I bought in April which really bums me out. I was going to eBay it but if you want it I'll send it to you postage FREE for $250.00. Don't waste your money on a Squire because he will want a real Strat in no time. This is a lifetime guitar. I swore I would never sell one but I have eight. This will be easier to play than an acoustic. A child is more likely to stick with an electric because there is more novelty and not every kid has one. Later on get an acoustic. I love both but this is a great deal on a Strat. Let me know. I'll email you a photo, guarantee the guitar and get it to you right away. I have excellent feedback on ebay if you would like to check. I would rather do this for someone on this forum than a stranger on ebay...

thanks

tyler
  • oh, my email is tttman@montanasky.net
  • Thanks Y'all -I think we may end up getting him one of each-he is "small" stature-(we are hopin' for 5'7..:)-I was concerned about a full size acoustic-

he is very excited-whenever he wants something we make him wait to see if
    it "sticks"-he keeps the word "guitar" written on the back of his hand at school-to remind him to keep it together. (he is a good student but has a hard time with the focus and sitting still thing-we do not believe in medication-having a lot of energy is not a sickness!).

You are giving solid advice-support is hugely important-My husband and I were very artistic people who grew up in unapproving households-we are realistic with him as far as how much work goes into anything you love-even children-but we don't say "that's stupid-become an accountant."

You guys are cool for taking the time to answer us....TEE
  • pacifierpacifier Posts: 1,009
    I think my brother started lessons when he was 7 on a full size electric guitar. I'm not musical, but I know a bit about kids. Unlike the others I wouldn't recommend getting him an acoustic to start off with if it is going to be more difficult for him, not at his age. Let him learn the easier stuff first so that he can be proud of himslef and find the fun in it. Then once he's mastered it he will probably want to learn on an acoustic. Good luck.
  • Well, you should probably get some sort of Strat model. Those are real cool, since you can buy him like, a pedal, and then he can get any sounds and stuff he wants. There's also like, cheap Epiphone Les Paul combos, or this SG at musiciansfriend.com. But a cheap strat would be best probably. And make sure, you get him those lessons. Lessons are really great. I used to play the saxophone (still do sort of), and took lessons. In like 8 lessons, I was better than everybody in band class. Lessons are that good. Good luck to your son, and you!
    7/10/06
  • Thanks Y'all -I think we may end up getting him one of each-he is "small" stature-(we are hopin' for 5'7..:)-I was concerned about a full size acoustic-

he is very excited-whenever he wants something we make him wait to see if
    it "sticks"-he keeps the word "guitar" written on the back of his hand at school-to remind him to keep it together. (he is a good student but has a hard time with the focus and sitting still thing-we do not believe in medication-having a lot of energy is not a sickness!).

You are giving solid advice-support is hugely important-My husband and I were very artistic people who grew up in unapproving households-we are realistic with him as far as how much work goes into anything you love-even children-but we don't say "that's stupid-become an accountant."

You guys are cool for taking the time to answer us....TEE

no problem :) keep us updated with the progress or lack there of lol
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~