New/Old sounds question

MadHatterMadHatter Posts: 15
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all.

First post, though I've been lurking around reading for a month or so. Anyways, I had a couple questions and thought I would finally register and post.

1) Though I've been playing guitar for a couple years, it has mostly been on my accoustic. I've recently (Year and a half ago) bought myself an electric (Fender American Strat), and amp (Crate VFX 5112 (Thought this would be a cheaper way to try out different effects without spending alot on pedals I might not like))
Anyways, my first question is...There is a lot made about the year the guitar is made. I understand that the guitars have different equipment installed and used different pickups etc. Is there a real difference to the sounds of these? Meaning, would I notice the difference if I plugged my new Strat into my amp and played a song, then plugged a 69 Strat into my amp and played, would I be able to haer a difference, or would you have to really know what to look for to hear it? What are the differences? Why are the older Fenders considered better than the newer ones? And for that matter, how do the re-issues compare?

2) My second question is about Tune-ups. I've had the guitar for over a year, and I've heard that it is a good idea to get it "tuned up" every now and then. I was wondering what was involved in this. I am starting to get some string buzz, and thought I would at least get that looked at. How much does a tune up usually cost? Basically, I just didn't want to walk into Guitar Center looking for a "tune up" and not have any idea what I'm talking about, and looking like an idiot.

Thanks all.

MH
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    welcome, the answers are as complex as the questions here and much of it is subjective.

#2, just walk into guitar center and ask for a "set-up" they'll walk you through the rest.

#1. It depends on your ears and your senses. If you ask me, there is a hell of a difference between older Fender's and newer one's the biggests factor being the quality of the materials and construction methods. The older guitars have a warm humanlike feel to them, newer guitars are colder more machinelike. There is an odd aura or mystique around the older guitars also they have cured for ages the wood is old and resonant. The resonance of an older guitar with new strings just kills the newer guitars. Now, this is not necessiarily true with custom shop guitars or the botique builders that use the exact same methods and the best wood.

Basically, corporations (CBS) have taken the heart out of Fenders and made them more cost effective than they originally were. This is especially true of Fender Amplifiers which were made over after the corporate buyout 1967ish not over cosmetically (blackface, to silverface) but also internally with cheaper parts that made the amps lose the bouncy breakup that the mid 60's amps had but gain a glassier clean that jazz guys love. The guitars changed too with bigger wider headstocks and improved neck designs as well as different pickups. The 80's changed both Fender and Gibson because for once they had competition. They began to build cheaper models and make more cost effective ones but essentially, the American Standard Fender Stratocaster is and has always been a mark of quality. It's a good quality guitar from no matter what era it's from.

Older guitars can be plagued with deteriorating magnets, which to some people is desireable and others it's not so pickup manufacturers like Lindy Fralin have begun building period accurate pickups exactly like Leo used to so they can have the sound they remember or hear again.

So I guess to answer your question, will it sound different. Categorically yes. Will it sound completely different, no. But the feel of a good vintage guitar is just different even different than custom shop jobs, they just feel smell and play perfectly.

In a clean amp like your's I would be willing to bet the two guitars eqipped with the same gauge and brand of strings the vintage guitar would sustain a little longer and sound a little sweeter than the newer ones but again it's subjective. For me a little mystique goes to the classics they feel as if they have a soul.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    Hi!

Which year, color etc. is your Strat? I got an American Series Strat, year 2000. Black with white pickguard and PUs and a maple neck. I love, love it, love it!
    I did modify it a bit though. I changed connections for the middle and brige PU, so I can select the Neck+Brige combo using the 5-way selector. Maybe I'll do the popular "blender mod" when I'm more experienced with wiring and soldering.

Oh..your questions:
    Take a look at this page:
    http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/store/pickup_samples_strat.asp
    It has samples of several PUs, different Strat models and PU positions. Judge for yourself!

PS:
    Does anyone know where to get pickguards in some different colors? I like the way my Strat looks, but there's always some room for a change now and then...
    Originally posted by stefanwa
    Hi!

Which year, color etc. is your Strat? I got an American Series Strat, year 2000. Black with white pickguard and PUs and a maple neck. I love, love it, love it!
    I did modify it a bit though. I changed connections for the middle and brige PU, so I can select the Neck+Brige combo using the 5-way selector. Maybe I'll do the popular "blender mod" when I'm more experienced with wiring and soldering.

Oh..your questions:
    Take a look at this page:
    http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/store/pickup_samples_strat.asp
    It has samples of several PUs, different Strat models and PU positions. Judge for yourself!

PS:
    Does anyone know where to get pickguards in some different colors? I like the way my Strat looks, but there's always some room for a change now and then...

http://www.pickguards.com is a good place to start.

Another would be http://www.stewmac.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Honestly that "warm" feel or "vintage" feel is just that, it's a mental feel. The older ones are considered better mainly for the crafstmanship that went into them. They were better constructed.

But the same sound can come out of a guitar produced today as one produced in 1960. The keys for tone are the pickups and the wood used for the body of the guitar. If the pickups are the same, and the wood is the same, and the pots are the same, then it should sound very close. The pickups are the obvious main factor in tone.
    Originally posted by HYLA
    Honestly that "warm" feel or "vintage" feel is just that, it's a mental feel. The older ones are considered better mainly for the crafstmanship that went into them. They were better constructed.

But the same sound can come out of a guitar produced today as one produced in 1960. The keys for tone are the pickups and the wood used for the body of the guitar. If the pickups are the same, and the wood is the same, and the pots are the same, then it should sound very close. The pickups are the obvious main factor in tone.

exactly. I think the wood is almost as important as the pickups though. The better qualilty the wood and the quality of the neck joint the more resonant the entire unit will be. Modern day custom shops, and Botique guitars sound just as good.
  • MadHatterMadHatter Posts: 15
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Not as easy question as I thought.

Mine is a 2002 if I remember correctly. Kind of a baby blue/greenish (don't know the actual color name) with a rosewood neck. I like it. Kinda Beach Boys-ey or something. Haven't seen another like it yet. White PU and pickguard.

I just didn't find the Les Pauls or SG's comfortable. I like the feel and shape of the Strat.

I didn't like it at first. I played accoustic for so long it was uncomfortable, and it took me along time to figure out how I like my "knobs" set for my guitar and amp. I've only recently come to find a "tone" I enjoy. Now I'm loving it. Even though there are little things I don't like. I wish I had a little more bottom to it.

Those web-pages are really interesting. I didn't realize how much of a diference the pick ups would make. How do I know which ones are on mine? Which are the standard pick ups?

Another interesting web page along those lines is "www.toneprofessor.com".
  • MadHatterMadHatter Posts: 15
    Listening to the Acme page you posted...I really like the sound of the Fender CS '54. Course, I've always liked the "vintage" sound anyways...
  • stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    http://www.pickguards.com is a good place to start.

Another would be http://www.stewmac.com

Thanks! Maybe I'll get one of those tortoise style pickguards, but I'm not sure if it looks good with white knobs and PU...
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    The lack of a bottom end is due to the fact the PUs are single coils. That being said, you can still get plenty of crunch with a Strat, just listen to the Smashing Pumpkins. Corgan records basically all his guitar stuff on a Strat.