strings

BoomDaddyBoomDaddy Posts: 51
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i was wondering what kind of strings would be the best for my strat. well its actually a fender squire but ya.Right now i have ernie ball strings and i dont like them.Whats a good type of strings .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    Lesson #1 for this is find out what gauge strings your guitar is set up for. Squires are normally set up for .009s

Ok heres some good strings

GHS Boomers-what Mike and Stone use (Im not sure they still do, but i know they did for a long time)

DR Hi-Beam-really high quality strings in my opinion, what Billy Corgan uses, and he plays mostly strats (at least he used, pre-1995)

If your guitar is set up for .009's, you may want to consider getting them set up for 10's or 11's, which is kinda a bitch, but it will help you a lot and give you some more variety in string choices
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ernie ball strings are fucking horrid. I hate them with a passion and I feel your pain.

DR strings (tite-fit electric) are the best I've ever used by far. The best tone and longest life of any electric string I've used.

Ghs Boomers are fine as well, much better than ernie balls.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • BoomDaddyBoomDaddy Posts: 51
    how do you find out what gauge strings your guitar is set up for.yeah the ernie ball's suck.i hate them
    well im not 100% positive, but chances are since its a squire, its set up for 9s, as all the ones ive seen are.
    Originally posted by djyman15
    well im not 100% positive, but chances are since its a squire, its set up for 9s, as all the ones ive seen are.

thats cool.how do u change it to 10. and whats changing it to 10 or 11 do to the guitar.
    changing your setup to a thicker gauge involves adjusting the truss rod, raising the saddles, possibly messing with neck angle, etc...

If you get a pro to do it, itll be fine, but its kinda challenging if you dont know what your doing. Thicker gauge strings will give you a thicker sound for one (duh). more material vibrating=more sound, more stuff going on (bad description, i know but i dont know how to put it) Also thicker gauge strings last longer
    Originally posted by djyman15
    changing your setup to a thicker gauge involves adjusting the truss rod, raising the saddles, possibly messing with neck angle, etc...

If you get a pro to do it, itll be fine, but its kinda challenging if you dont know what your doing. Thicker gauge strings will give you a thicker sound for one (duh). more material vibrating=more sound, more stuff going on (bad description, i know but i dont know how to put it) Also thicker gauge strings last longer

thanks for all your help .
    just showing you my guitar if u wanna see what it looks like
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040615191326063185072154417520/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/511276/
    so i need to go with GHS Boomers and DR strings (tite fit or high beam)
  • Yeah I agree, Ernie Ball strings are crap. I tried Elixir strings last year and I'm friggin hooked on the coated string deal. I went away from them on my acoustic once earlier this year and got some uncoated brand. Big mistake for me. I will probably stay with coated strings forever. Long life and I like the feel of them.
    hate was just a legend
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I prefer Blue Steel's or Elixirs if you can afford them. The blue steels seem to break less....for me anyways
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    thanks for your guys advice. I went with the ghs boomers and they're awesome.I like them alot