question about playing music

cashwocashwo Posts: 16
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Out of curiosity, does anyone else's local music scene have such mean spirited, jealous (and the list could go on) people, which it makes it so hard to play music that you question why or what's the point?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Who are you referring to

. customers that come to see you
    .people who own places your trying to get gigs at
    .Or are you trying to join or start a band.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • cashwocashwo Posts: 16
    oh, sorry, i was referring to other musicians. i'm actually in 2 bands but quite a few of the other local musicians are really taking the fun out of it.
    Unless they are sabotaging your equipment suck it up. Competition is a bitch, especially on a local level where everyone knows or have heard of each other. You just have to learn to deal with other bands showing up at your shows. Let your music speak for itself. If you really want to blow their mind, take one of the signature songs and learn to do it better and play it.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    competition is understandable.

what pisses me off is the cliques. it can get really bad. and people coming off as "oh i support the local scene"...yea you do, as logn as it benefits you , you jackasss...

everyone in the local scene just needs to get off their high horses, we are all local bands..obviously not one better than the other...nnothing wrong with competition and wanting to be better than the next band but...drop the attitudes about it...

those are my thoughts.
    that's exactly how i feel. someone went as far as to take one of our cd's and set it on fire and then put it on my car (i don't think it was on fire while on my car thank god) but anyway that's pretty bad. i had actually just move so only a few people knew where i lived and all 3 where local musicians that where supposed to be friends.
    Originally posted by 62strat
    competition is understandable.

what pisses me off is the cliques. it can get really bad. and people coming off as "oh i support the local scene"...yea you do, as logn as it benefits you , you jackasss...

everyone in the local scene just needs to get off their high horses, we are all local bands..obviously not one better than the other...nnothing wrong with competition and wanting to be better than the next band but...drop the attitudes about it...

those are my thoughts.

Attitude is the unseen member of a band for some its the driving force. But he has to learn to deal with it or it'll defeat him and his band. Its the nature of the beast at that level.

It shouldn't be a constant though, at some point the bands should start supporting each other, if for no other reason then to attract a broader listening and attending audience for the music scene as a whole.
    It shouldn't be a constant though, at some point the bands should start supporting each other, if for no other reason then to attract a broader listening and attending audience for the music scene as a whole. [/B]

exactly. it used to be that way it changed for the worse. i'm hoping that it changes back soon. it really makes me sad how people can act sometimes. i also agree that attitude can be a good thing.
    Originally posted by cashwo
    exactly. it used to be that way it changed for the worse. i'm hoping that it changes back soon. it really makes me sad how people can act sometimes. i also agree that attitude can be a good thing.

Hope it gets back to good.
  • GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    playing music is cool.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Unfortunately, sometimes you have to have skin as resistant as an armadillo's or as slippery as a duck's back .... :(
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Austin is truly the live music capital of the world... you find none of that here... there are just so many musicians trying to make it that we all support each other... no matter where you are, if it's around other guys you will see guys nodding to your music, and if they don't like it, they just don't listen to it...

I've played a lot of places and it truly is the best place to play a live show...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
    i'm from a very small town in wv. i guess that says enough.
    Originally posted by parchy
    Austin is truly the live music capital of the world... you find none of that here... there are just so many musicians trying to make it that we all support each other... no matter where you are, if it's around other guys you will see guys nodding to your music, and if they don't like it, they just don't listen to it...

I've played a lot of places and it truly is the best place to play a live show...

I'll have to agree with parchy on the support in Austin. You can find pickup gigs easily on amateur nights and most of the player's talent are not amateurs quality, only if you think on a superfical level of fame.
    that's awesome. it used to be like that hear for awhile and i think that's when the best shows are played (when there is a good vibe in the air). i guess since there isn't a good vibe in the air here now it just feels different.
  • luxlux Posts: 22
    you have to do whats right for you. if you love it evough, it shouldnt matter. some people have, and will continue to be bastards. remember- there is always and underlying reason why they try to make it so hard.