recording question~help!

mike squiresmike squires Posts: 27
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just got my CR-4 track recorder today. I'm just getting myself used to everything and trying to get familiar with it. When recording or listening to what was recorded on the actual recorder it sounds good and it's pretty clear. However when I play it on my car or home stereo, I have to crank it up to be able to hear it. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice will be appreciated! I'm hoping I will not be dissapointed with my 215 dollar purchase.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you might have to mix it down, i think thats what its called. i havent used my recorder in along time. someone here will know for sure.
  • I think...

Ok, you need to find a way to mix your track. After you set all the individual track levels, add effects, pan.... blah blah blah, whatever... Then you need to set the overall master level of your recording.

That's a pretty basic explanation. Sorry.

See if there is a master knob.
  • there is a master knob and I'm pretty sure that is where my problem lies. The mixing. Once I lay out all the tracks what do I do...play it back and do what with the master switch???? I'm sorry if that sounds vauge. I look forward to hearing all of the tracks sounding like the one track!!! Thanks for your help.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    there should just be a master fader that you have to turn up on the stereo bus. try to get ur levels just before the red to maximize your sound.

Also, if you can, dont monitor your sounds using headphones, try monitoring them off of speakers when you mix.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • OK, I think I've got it. This time I recorded drums off of a drum machine and then acoutic guitar for my second track. Then I went back and used the faders to get the sounds right then taped it again. I'm about to go check it out on the stereo now. Man, I wish I had a mic so I could do some vocals! It's a learning process. I'm definately a beginner.
  • I just got my CR-4 track recorder today. I'm just getting myself used to everything and trying to get familiar with it. When recording or listening to what was recorded on the actual recorder it sounds good and it's pretty clear. However when I play it on my <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> or home stereo, I have to crank it up to be able to hear it. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice will be appreciated! I'm hoping I will not be dissapointed with my 215 dollar purchase.

AMPLIFY the levels 200% or 400%

how do you burn your cd, do you pass it from the 4 track to computer or burn from the cd straight from the 4 track?????
  • I don't burn on to CD. I'll only be able to mix on the CR-4. I"m still not doing something right. I"ll keep messing around and hopefully figure it out. Thanks for your patience guys.
  • Just keep fucking with it. It will come soon.