stereo chorus...good investment?

mike squiresmike squires Posts: 27
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
It's been awhile since I've added a new pedal to my set up. I currently have a MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss BF-2 Flanger, DOD FX50-B (don't use that often) and Digitech RP 100. I am considering a stereo chrous. I've got about 100-120 to spend. SHould I add it to my collection? If so, any recomendations?

I'm kind of a folkier guy lately but I also like to crank it up. In the recent guitar world I saw a setting for the Mt-2 to g"Zak Wylde's" sound. ALso in there was a super chorus Bosss Ch-1. I've tried a few inclduing line 6 and like them.

I'll apprecite your feedback on anything. I guess ultimatly, I want to add to my sound, spice things up a bit. Is it worth it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Chorus I think is amazing. It adds a lot. I personally have two chorus pedals- the DOD ice Box which is awesome and my danelectro Milkshake(I use that replicate Mike McCready's univibe for solos). Anyway, I suggest the DOD Ice Box, inexpensive and plays just like the Boss or Digitechs. It is stereo chorus too so I think that it was you're looking for. I am looking into getting the small clone(only because I am a diehard Nirvana fan). Go with either the DOD or if you really want, the boss super chorus or chrous ensambe(whatever fits your fancy). Good luck!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I have a Boss CE-5, and it's brilliant.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Chorus is one of those effects that is either done really well, or makes a guitar sound like a cheap suit.

Use sparingly...a little goes a long way.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Chorus is one of those effects that is either done really well, or makes a guitar sound like a cheap suit.

Use sparingly...a little goes a long way.

I back that up 110%. 99.987469974% of the time chorus sucks
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I back that up 110%. 99.987469974% of the time chorus sucks

That's an amazing stastical number!
  • That's an amazing stastical number!

I'm an engineer, go figure!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I'm an engineer, go figure!

really? cool. me too.
  • cs-9 for life baby! (and MM4)

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like the boss CE-2 for pre-gain, mono chorus. the mxr stereo chorus for post-gain.
  • I'm an engineer, go figure!
    I was going to Western Michigan Universtiy majoring in Civil engineering...I changed my major after this past semester(my first) because the math was too intense!
  • I was going to Western Michigan Universtiy majoring in Civil engineering...I changed my major after this past semester(my first) because the math was too intense!

Calculus sucks bad. Thermodynamics sucks even worse. But you just have to sneak thru it.

• AutoCAD is hard as hell that also got me.
  • AutoCAD is hard as hell that also got me.

See acad is cake, problem is you had to learn it thru a rushed college course. My high school offered it, I took 4 years of it before college.

• I wish I would have taken it in high school. We had the same thing. Man, I was so confused. I got the '07 version on my laptop now and I have no use for it!
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    It's been awhile since I've added a new pedal to my set up. I currently have a MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss BF-2 Flanger, DOD FX50-B (don't use that often) and Digitech RP 100. I am considering a stereo chrous. I've got about 100-120 to spend. SHould I add it to my collection? If so, any recomendations?

I'm kind of a folkier guy lately but I also like to crank it up. In the recent guitar world I saw a setting for the Mt-2 to g"Zak Wylde's" sound. ALso in there was a super chorus Bosss Ch-1. I've tried a few inclduing line 6 and like them.

I'll apprecite your feedback on anything. I guess ultimatly, I want to add to my sound, spice things up a bit. Is it worth it?

yes.
  • I wish I would have taken it in high school. We had the same thing. Man, I was so confused. I got the '07 version on my laptop now and I have no use for it!

Draw lines (doesn't matter the length), one horizontal and one vertical, make sure they intersect. Then offset the actual distances you want those line lengths. Go back in and trim or extend etc. That's the basic way to get going, you learn the tricks as you go, seems like over kill but it's what I always taught people. Fortunately now I'm more into project management and running jobs and we have the young guys do the cadding for us. Of course now and then I still have to school them!

They should have a guide on how to use it in the software, helps out a lot.

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Draw lines (doesn't matter the length), one horizontal and one vertical, make sure they intersect. Then offset the actual distances you want those line lengths. Go back in and trim or extend etc. That's the basic way to get going, you learn the tricks as you go, seems like over kill but it's what I always taught people. Fortunately now I'm more into project management and running jobs and we have the young guys do the cadding for us. Of course now and then I still have to school them!

Write the guide. Get paid. Buy guitars :D
  • Draw lines (doesn't matter the length), one horizontal and one vertical, make sure they intersect. Then offset the actual distances you want those line lengths. Go back in and trim or extend etc. That's the basic way to get going, you learn the tricks as you go, seems like over kill but it's what I always taught people. Fortunately now I'm more into project management and running jobs and we have the young guys do the cadding for us. Of course now and then I still have to school them!

They gave me the basics book. That book probably had more pages than the bible. Hardest part was ortho drawings. That's as far as I got.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I'm an engineer too....I've been using AutoCAD everyday for the past 10 years.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Personally I think Chorus is as much a "Primary color" effect as distortion. A subtle amount can be useful just for changing the timbre of your guitar, and makes a great way of underscoring for the audience you are in a different section. Heavier settings can yield some amazingly trippy sounds. Stereo chorus can be brilliant, but yeah... don't crap out with a cheap chorus effect.

Here is a really good one:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/SCF