cables you use improve your sound???

mike squiresmike squires Posts: 27
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I recently bought a pair of decent whirlwind guitar cables. They were 25 bucks a piece. I had whilrwind before but they seemed to be a bit on the cheaper side. Anyway, maybe it's just in my head but my amp, guitar sound, tone, everythings sounds better. Is it possible the cables you use can improve your sound that much???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yes, it will have an impact.
  • most definitely. i use monsters and my tone is much better with them than with cheeper cables. plus they have a lifetime warranty, they will give you a new one with no questions asked. i had a grounding problem and it went away when i switched to monsters.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Yes I have done comparisons and shelling out the extra money is deffinetly worth it. I have used whirlwind and my current favorite is monster. Both brands have lifetime warranties and the whirlwind warranty seems to be a bit more easy to work with.

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yes, better cables are better.
    I've only used these cables for the past 4-years click here: MOGAMI.
    These are great . . . they won't color your tone, they're medium priced and
    "most every recording you've ever listened to has passed through Mogami cable in the signal chain"
    This is true - almost all of the big studios use mogami.
    http://www.mogamicable.com/cab_assemblies/goldassambl_links/goldseries_assemblies.html
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • I use nothing but George L's cables.
    http://www.georgelsstore.com/home.html
    Higher grade cable and connectors do make a difference, and I think these are the best. You can use a 25ft cable w/o any loss of tone or signal which is impressive.
    You can buy the cables pre-made or in bulk, and you can get the solder less connectors in either straight or right angle.
    Good luck.
    May 05, 1992 -November 26, 1993 -
    November 27, 1993 - November 28, 1993 -
    July 08, 1995 -July 09, 1995 -
    July 11, 1995 - June 26, 1998 -
    June 27, 1998 - October 08, 2000 -
    August 05, 2007
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I use nothing but George L's cables.
    Higher grade cable and connectors do make a difference, and I think these are the best. You can use a 25ft cable w/o any loss of tone or signal which is impressive.
    You can buy the cables pre-made or in bulk, and you can get the solder less connectors in either straight or right angle.
    Good luck.
    Maybe their newer cables are better -- I hated their thin black cable from 3 years ago (that George L's cable sucked).
    I had 20 feet of the George L's cable with solderless ends, and ended up throwing it all away because of how
    thin it made my signal (Every time I tried to use the cables to make even a short pedal connection I'd get dropouts
    and major tone loss) -- Maybe if I actually soldered the solderless ends it would have improved. The other issue
    that concerned me was that such thin wire didn't have any shielding - plus it crackled when I moved it. I kept asking
    myself why people raved about the cable when I could hear a noticeable tone loss, crackle, and had consistently
    bad connections (I also began to wonder how such a thin wire could possible give me decent tone), yet because of
    the raves I tried to make it work for 3 months. Unfortunately I never never found the cable worth the $.

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • they dont make our singer sound like AXL Rose, though
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I use nothing but George L's cables.
    Good luck.

George L is my 3rd cousin. Every time I have bought cables that fact has completely slipped my mind. I may begin my change over to George L's.
  • they dont make our singer sound like AXL Rose, though
    Thank god for that.
    I use Planet Waves cables. They work well and if you somehow manage to break them, you get a replacement free of charge.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Previously I was just using California cables by fender, and always seemed to have noise issues.... just thought it was my amp! about 3 months ago, i found out a guy i work with is right into mixing and recording, and actually makes his own cables.... so he did me up a 16 foot and a 3 foot length cable, as well as a couple of little patch cables. the longer one has the noiseless plugs, where it cuts out as soon as you unplug it just a little. now have a noiseless setup, so was the fender cables causing the issue the whole time!!! only cost me $150 Aus, and lifetime warranty from the company that this guy purchases the materials from!!! :)