would you recommend a guitarist start playing bass as well?

Pat HPat H Posts: 101
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for almost five years, and just recently I've been thinking about getting a bass. I'm not sure if it would be the "best" idea. I know there are alot of people that do both, but most of them that I know mainly play bass. I still want to mainly stick with guitar. For some reason I think it will help my rhythym playing, and posibly writing.

what do you guys think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    anyone time you expanded the number of instruments you play, it's a good thing. if you want to do it, do it. bass is fun.

i used to have a bass but sold it when i wanted some other equipment i can't remember off hand because i only used it when i was recording.

i always regretted it. now i have to fake basss with an octave pedal and a guitar.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I'd recommend that you compliment your guitar skills with a keyboard. As mainly a bass player, I do play guitar also, not as proficient as I do the bass, but the transition was not hard. So if you really want the experience I don't think you'd have a problem.

My biggest adjustments were the weight of the strings and the length of the guitar fret boards which still gives me problems because I'm so used to the longer bass fret board. Yet, I'll always regret that I didn't get started playing a keyboard earlier. I find that to be more rewarding in song writing and rhythm building skills.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    emphasis on the songwriting. you end up with this brand new environment and you don't have you're favourite chord progressions to fall back on and whatnot. you find new things. it's great.

i never thought i'd be able to write on a keyboard and i'm doing it. it takes me about a week to learn what i've written well enough to play it but it's so rewarding.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by exhausted
    emphasis on the songwriting. you end up with this brand new environment and you don't have you're favourite chord progressions to fall back on and whatnot. you find new things. it's great.

i never thought i'd be able to write on a keyboard and i'm doing it. it takes me about a week to learn what i've written well enough to play it but it's so rewarding.

Totally agree. Its rewarding.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd look out for a used Fender P-Bass, made in Mexico, that you could fool around with. They're amazing instruments, worth every nickel, and even if you never become a bass-player, you'll at least be a guy who can play bass.

Any instrument you fool around with will add to your ability to write, play, and improvise. Sure, concentrate on guitar, if that's your primary drive... but don't box yourself in. Broaden your horizons...

Keyboard/piano/organ would be a good idea... translates notes from frets to keys, makes you focus on the music, not the fretboard pattern.

If you ever wanted to fool around with something LIKE a guitar, but with some different ideas, a baritone is always a fun toy.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I was thinking about trying out the keys...
    just have to find myself a decent fender rhodes. ;)
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    all right, every response was a yes, for the reasons I put for getting one, so I'm gonna save. I already got probably 80 dollars. so maybe another 100 to go for the instrument and probably another 3 for an amp
  • 2italy2italy Posts: 39
    I think it would be fun if nothing else. I play bass and guitar.

It might help you explore different rythyms and styles...