playing a bass through a guitar amp

Pat HPat H Posts: 101
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am getting a bass in the next week or two, but I wont be able to get an amp until later.

I know it's not the best idea in the world to play through a guitar amp, but would it hurt for a few weeks to play through one of my guitar amps at not high volumes?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nope

"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    I do it all the time. Depending on your amp, you might be surprised how good it will sound.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The important thing is to keep the volume down, and don't try to pump the bass on your amp. The first thing you would damage is your speaker, and it's fairly easy to do if you push it. Older tube amps are a lot more forgiving than newer amps. I've seen a few guitar amps fried after being used as bass amps, but those were at gigs where the volume was up pretty loud, and they were crappy solid-state amps as well. Then again, I play bass thru my little Pignose amp once in a while, and it does just fine. So watch the volume!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    I was at this Guitar Center and one of the workers got pissed off when I played a bass through a guitar amp. So I wouldnt play on the guitar amp too much.