tips on improving singing voice

Pat HPat H Posts: 101
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I love to sing, the problem is that my voice is terrible and cringeworthy, it's gotten better than it was a few years ago, but it is still terrible. Does anyone have any advice on making my voice sound better?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I second this thread. If anyone ahs any tips....
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    know your range. people with limited ranges can still be great singers.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    DON'T IMITATE EDDIE VEDDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its been done to death, and all the singers who do it are horrendous

i also want to know how to sing better, but that is my one rule so far
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    know your range. people with limited ranges can still be great singers.

yeah, I guess that would help. Even though sometimes when singers go out of their range it can be beautiful.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Practice is the best thing.

A few voice lessons aren't a bad idea. They can teach you better breathing techniques and help you figure out your range. No need to go for American Idol lessons, just a few to get you started in the right direction. Joining a church or community choir serves a similar purpose.

Singing along in the car, while looking stupid, is still better than nothing. At least, that's what I tell myself... ;)
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Focus on staying in Key! I don't care how good of voice someone could have, as soon as they stray off key, it gets just horrible.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    hire a singer.
  • try sing while playing guitar/piano such that u stay in tune with the guitar, its helped me a bunch, also sing along with ppl who can sing, it helps u to find the right key quicker and helps with hitting the right notes.

i guess in summary find a reference point to sing with, itll help u find the right key/notes when u are singing and u should hear an improvement, with a bit of practice.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I am currently taking vocal lessons via video from steven tylers vocal coach...check out the site http://www.voicelesson.com/home.htm

As I singer I can tell you a few things that are a necessity. Practice and repetition is key, simplicity is best and having excercises to fail at are a GOOD thing. Falsetto is a key part of your voice, and breathing and relaxation is of utmost importance.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Monkey ManMonkey Man Posts: 20
    Buy CSN's debut.
  • FlizankFlizank Posts: 59
    Don't attempt to immitate vocalists, but definately study them. Among being in key and breathing properly, a very important part of singing is how you pronounce your vowels and consonants. It also has a great deal of influence on how you sound as a singer, more than anything else; its why David Bowie throughout his career has been able to have so many different singing voices.

Study different vocalists, see how they pronounce their vowels, sing along with them, and eventually you will create your own style... if you study a range of vocalists. If you just study Eddie Vedder, you'll end up sounding like him.

I've used Ian Curtis, Jim Morrison and Julian Casablancas as references, and my voice sounds unique merging these styles with my own.
    PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
    Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
    Don't get behind I can't fall back.
    Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
    They don't want no change. We already have.