which guitarist has influenced your sound the most?

Pat HPat H Posts: 101
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I think I'd have to say Neil Young. I just love his style. It's simple, yet highly effective, and that works perfectly for me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mike McCready and David Gilmour
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • chicago23xchicago23x Posts: 53
    Stone!
    I wish I could play leads like Mike! (one day, oh... one day)
    Hell; a paticular realm of the after life where they never play Pearl Jam
  • EbeneEbene Posts: 4
    Stevie Ray Vaughan!
  • Monkey ManMonkey Man Posts: 20
    I am definitely primarily influenced by Neil Young.

Then Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Robby Krieger, Chuck Berry, Townshend, Tom Verliane, Mick Taylor, BB King, and Stephen Stills.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Neil Young and Mike McCready.....and that Gossard chap
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • On electric? Syd, and Jimi. On acoustic, John Martyn.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend.

Edit: Both sloppy at times but their playing is unique and identifiable. Either could play a waltz and it couldn't help but be anything other than a rock n' roll waltz.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Mike McCready, Johnny Greenwood, Tom Morello, Jerry Cantrell, Jimi Hendrix, and Omar Rodriguez Lopez are my primary influences in terms of ability, sound, and passion.

Edit: Oh, and of course Jimmy Page...and Adam Jones too.
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    i would have to say a tie bewteen Daron Malakian and Tom Morello.
    most likely because i practice on SOAD and RATM songs more than any.
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • Billy F Gibbons
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Brian Robertson-Thin lizzy,Gary Moore,Joe Satriani,Dave Mustaine,Jimmy Page,Slash,Zakk Wylde
    Cornell pwns u
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I probably sound like the bastard child of Mike McCready, Alex Lifeson, David Gilmour and Larry LaLonde
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    Depends what I'm playing. I've been shooting for the Pearl Jam sound from their last few tours. I play pretty similiar to Stone.

Eric Clapton (especially during his Cream and Bluesbreaker days) had a large effect, the Ramones, Ace Frehley, old Metallica, Maiden also were big influences. Always wanted to play like Dave Mustaine and Alex Skolnick (testament), but gave that up after a year or so.

The Beatles and the Smiths had a big effect on my acoustic playing which effected my electric picking.

Therapy? became a big influence during college, as well as Pennywise.

My style has change a ton over the years, and I have to say it's still evolving.

Punk, Blues and Alternative have had the most lasting and noticable effect on me though.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    My style of playing is influenced by Neil Young, quite a bit of Stone, a fair amount of Angus Young, and then a buncha folks after that.

But my tone is really aiming for Ed's tone from the Riot Act tour.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    My tone rambled around. It depends who I was playing with at the time,,, but I started with the Keith Richards tone, then when Frank Zappa came out,, I was influenced by that style of quirky tone. I also LOVE Buddy Guy's tone for blues! One of the best! I just saw him in Philly the other night, and he STILL is amazing. Strat and Fender Bassmans,, Or Bassmen? :D
    I always like to keep it simple on stage, and back then, fortunately there wasn't all the boutique stuff to choose from. Mostly a Strat, Tele, Les Paul, SG,,, and some sort of overdrive, chorus, wah, and a Marshall or Fender Deluxe turned up to 7 1/2. Onstage, the boutique stuff doesn't matter as much,,, because I got most of the tone I wanted out of the amp, guitar and fingers. The pedals just added a little depth and color.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Mhh, still haven't really found "my sound", but I'd say Peter Buck from R.E.M. has influenced me the most.
  • Stone Gossard, Neil Young, Mark Knopfler
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Page, Hendrix, SRV, Bloomfield, McCready, Albert King, Freddie King, Corgan, Frusciante, Harrison, the list goes on and on.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Monkey ManMonkey Man Posts: 20
    I forgot to mention Johnny Ramone...he's the primary influence on my chording.
  • good question,

Stone Gossard, Mr.Mikey Mc.c, Jack White, Nick Drake, Tom Morello and EUROBOY

my tone is like PJ on the ten album...mixed with YES on THE YES ALBUM

love you all xxxxx

ps. I'm seeting up an EQ website so send settings you think are good ect ect
  • Yeah, I'm still learning to play, so I don't have my own style yet, but I do play a lot of pearl jam music, the occasional smells like teen spirit, and a lot of Neil Young and Bob Dylan, and The Beatles, oh and Angus Young's stuff from AC/DC, when I write lyrics though, I've recently been more influence by Eddie Vedder's style, putting more emotion and personal experience into the lyrics, which when me and a friend write guitar parts together, the guitar stuff does come out sounding more emotional like a cross between AC/DC and Alive, and Green Day, very interesting to do a song you write yourself and hear all the bands you listen to in it...
    He's not a leader he's a Texas leaguer...

"Our president said, 'There will be no draft, we have an all-volunteer army, and we will keep an all-volunteer army' Now here's my question, who the fuck is going to volunteer to go to that hellhole we've made over there?" Eddie at the Key Arena 10/19/04
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I would have to say a mixture of Adam Jones and Jimmy Page.