My new baby

Pat HPat H Posts: 101
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
My grandpa handed his guitar down to me.

It's an old Gibson acoustic guitar. My grandpa bought it in the early 1940's for $90. I dont know the make, but it's my favorite guitar that I've ever played on. It's got a nice thick neck, which fits my hands perfectly. I would have never thought in a million years that it would be mine. If I figure out how to work my sister's digital camera, I'll hopefully post pictures.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• :eek: you lucky sob - pardon my french. An original Gibson from the 1940's? Dude, that's A-W-E-S-O-M-E! That's gotta be worth a small fortune by now - not that it should matter. Anyway, don't be afraid to play it and yes post some pictures!
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    pearlwax wrote:
    :eek: you lucky sob - pardon my french. An original Gibson from the 1940's? Dude, that's A-W-E-S-O-M-E! That's gotta be worth a small fortune by now - not that it should matter. Anyway, don't be afraid to play it and yes post some pictures!

the guitar is priceless to the family, and it's going to stay in the family. I'm going to pass it down to my grandson who is going to be able to cherish it most, and so on.

and no, I'm not afraid to play it. In fact, that is the reason he gave it to me. He told me it needed to be played, and he's only picked it up for a few minutes every couple of years for the longest time, but when he was younger he played it all the time and he even played it on the radio and television.

hell, I dont even consider it to be my guitar, it's my grandpa's guitar and it will always be his. I'm just taking care of it.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    that's awesome.

i can't wait until i can pass gear down to my son.
  • great attitude. You're still a lucky sob, though.
    pearlwax wrote:
    great attitude. You're still a lucky sob, though.

yes i am :D
  • OrestesOrestes Posts: 217
    Congratulations!!! But where are the pics!!!
  • Orestes wrote:
    yeah, I wanna see this thing. Congrats.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
    Orestes wrote:

let me figure out my sister's digital camer/have some time to post them, and I'll get you some pics. It's beautiful.

right now I'm more concerned about giving it the exercise that it hasnt had in a really long time
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Fantastic, those sound amazing. Do one thing for me, go get you a very good humidifier for the guitar to keep the insides at the proper humidity even if they haven't been kept that way ever. I want the glue joints to hold up in there. I can't imagine ever selling something like that either. I'd pretend I was Robert Johnson all day.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Fantastic, those sound amazing. Do one thing for me, go get you a very good humidifier for the guitar to keep the insides at the proper humidity even if they haven't been kept that way ever. I want the glue joints to hold up in there. I can't imagine ever selling something like that either. I'd pretend I was Robert Johnson all day.

yeah, I've been thinking about that. I've never worried about keeping guitars at "proper" humidity, because my house does have decent humidity control, but this guitar is different, I baby this guitar like nothing else. The only people who are allowed to touch it besides me are my grandpa if he wants to play it, my uncle, and my dad, if it is anyone else, they have to really know what they are doing, and I have to build up a really strong sense of trust with them.
    Pat H wrote:
    yeah, I've been thinking about that. I've never worried about keeping guitars at "proper" humidity, because my house does have decent humidity control, but this guitar is different, I baby this guitar like nothing else. The only people who are allowed to touch it besides me are my grandpa if he wants to play it, my uncle, and my dad, if it is anyone else, they have to really know what they are doing, and I have to build up a really strong sense of trust with them.

yeah I definately understand that. I've seen several awesome J60's and earlier with cracks in the top and it breaks my heart. You could just spend a little bit and get a case with a good humidifier and just keep that in it when you put it up kind of like a humidor for a cigar. just so the humidity is consistant as well as the temperture. Some people say that's a lot of crap babying a guitar but it is really good to wipe it down after you play and just have a general reverance for the way the wood has aged. keeping the glue joints from cracking will save on repairs for warping and stuff too, you aren't just holding an awesome guitar you're holding history. It should be your baby you know? I think so anyway.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • What are the rules for keeping an electric guitar. I know acoustic can be really touchy. Do you need to do the same things to them, as an acoustic(humidifier, constant temp). I know their necks can be fragile to warping and what not, but I was just wondering the preferred method of keepin a guitar new for as long as possible.
  • What are the rules for keeping an electric guitar. I know acoustic can be really touchy. Do you need to do the same things to them, as an acoustic(humidifier, constant temp). I know their necks can be fragile to warping and what not, but I was just wondering the preferred method of keepin a guitar new for as long as possible.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah I definately understand that. I've seen several awesome J60's and earlier with cracks in the top and it breaks my heart. You could just spend a little bit and get a case with a good humidifier and just keep that in it when you put it up kind of like a humidor for a cigar. just so the humidity is consistant as well as the temperture. Some people say that's a lot of crap babying a guitar but it is really good to wipe it down after you play and just have a general reverance for the way the wood has aged. keeping the glue joints from cracking will save on repairs for warping and stuff too, you aren't just holding an awesome guitar you're holding history. It should be your baby you know? I think so anyway.

exactly.

don't worry about that, I'm going to keep it to perfection.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    What are the rules for keeping an electric guitar. I know acoustic can be really touchy. Do you need to do the same things to them, as an acoustic(humidifier, constant temp). I know their necks can be fragile to warping and what not, but I was just wondering the preferred method of keepin a guitar new for as long as possible.

most electrics are less picky, you don't need a humidifier. Temperture effects pitch, and it can cause joints and woods to expand and contract, the truss rod in your neck (if you have one) resists these movements, otherwise it's a good idea to take the guitar in maybe semi annually depending on a variety of factors, or to set the guitar up your self fairly often to ensure proper intonation. Basically, wipe it down, and don't change string gauge without setup, keep it in a case when you don't play and it will stay very nice for a long time.