getting a new acoustic tomorrow

Pat HPat H Posts: 101
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
My price range is 400-600 dollars. Something nice that I also dont have to worry too much about. It's pretty much just going to be a second guitar (my current second guitar is fucked and it would cost more to repair it than I paid for it). My old Gibson acoustic is my main one, but I dont feel safe taking anywhere because it has a lot of sentimental value (it was my Grandpa's) and it was purchased in 1942 and is in really good condition for being that old.

The martin I played feels great and I really like the sound, but I am weary of a martin in that price range. I also played a taylor that sounded just as good and felt just as good as the martin, and it was 150 dollars cheaper and came with a case. I'm not completely sure if I want to get a low end guitar from a company whose guitars are normally around 1500 or a mid end guitar from a company whose guitars are normally less expensive.

I like a good portion of the guitars in the price range that I played. I was decided on the Martin, but now I'm debating it. I'd rather wait to get a martin until I can afford a high end one. Same goes with Taylor.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Why the rush?

What about Takamines, Seagulls, Normans, etc?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    there's no hard rush. I might have a solo gig in July and I don't want to take the Gibson and my current second guitar is shot. I've been looking for a while now. Played many guitars. I am thinking of a takamine too. I've played a few and I like what I played. I guess I'm just too anxious to get a new guitar. I hate to be limited to my house with the Gibson because I dont let that thing out of my house, and everywhere I go people tell me that I should have brought the guitar.

I guess I'm mostly just trying to second guess myself. A guitar is a pretty big purchase. It's between the martin and the taylor. I liked those best. I like both for completely different reasons. I'm definitely going to look into other guitars though. I am preparing myself to get one tomorrow, but you never know.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I kinda know what you mean.
    My next purchase will be a Taylor 714ce. It's an expensive guitar and it will never leave home and if it does I may hire some armed security....:p j/k

The Martins and Taylors in the 500-600 range are good guitars but I think you could do better for the money at that range. Even low end Martins and Taylors are going to include the "name price".

Taks at that price are really nice!
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I just purchased a Taylor 814-ce a month ago, and it sounds really good when played through an amplifier. I also have a Martin HD-28V that sounds amazing when played by itself. The cost of both these guitars were about $2400 each. What I have found is that if you are going to get either a Martin or a Taylor, then you should be spending atleast $1500 because it seems that they do not put as much love in their lower end guitars. I also have a cheaper Yamaha acoustic that sounds a lot better than the lower end Martins and Taylors.
    Also keep in mind that no two guitars sound exactly the same. Make sure you play it before you buy it, unless they have a good return policy. I went through 3 Martins before I got one that sounded like I wanted it to... the first three all had a noticible buzz when strummed hard. For a guitar with a list price of $2899 I wanted to make sure I got one that sounded perfect. Luckily Guitar Center is good like that (they'll keep ordering you new guitars until you like it). Although I'm not sure they will do that with the lower end guitars.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • frenchsfrenchs Posts: 34
    The only Martins that go for 400-600 new are the X series. These typically have a solid top, but the back and sides are a HPL laminate. They sound pretty good (I have a 000X1), but are not anything spectacular. AFAIK, these guitars don't come with a case and that would be extra cost.

If you know what your doing, the Martin 15 series (D15, OM15, 00015) guitars can be had for 750-ish. These are GREAT solid mahogany guitars, don't let the price fool you, they are considered by many Martin lovers to be the best value in the entire line. They should also come with a case for that price.

General tip when buying Martins... 60% of the manufacturers price is "a good deal", and usually you can work a dealer down to that.

Edit: And your right not to take that 1942 Gibson out. I bet it sounds spectacular!
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Martins Taylors & Seagulls are probably the best ones id recommend.

Takamines, Ibanez's and Washburns are good too generally.

Sorry, i didnt really narrow anything down there. :D
  • Pat H wrote:
    My price range is 400-600 dollars. Something nice that I also dont have to worry too much about. It's pretty much just going to be a second guitar (my current second guitar is fucked and it would cost more to repair it than I paid for it). My old Gibson acoustic is my main one, but I dont feel safe taking anywhere because it has a lot of sentimental value (it was my Grandpa's) and it was purchased in 1942 and is in really good condition for being that old.
    *whistles*

I'd side with Takamine, but if I were you I'd just take an hour or two and go down to a shop, play every brand you see.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"