volume pedals (question)

giventojamgiventojam Posts: 3
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm looking to buy a volume pedal and i was wondering what's the difference between active and passive, or better yet can somebody recommend a model that they like.
good night, good bye
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Active means (powered)

Passive means (no power)

Active pedals can be louder and quieter but they also require power and that can be a pain plus there are plenty of great passive volume pedals.

Passive volume pedals, are traditionally a pot (potentiometer) attached to a treadle (think wah pedal) The pot is essentially the same thing as the one on your guitar, it's just moved to your feet so your hands are free.

There are plenty of great models.

Morley makes a good active version endorsed by Steve Vai called the little alligator.

The passive (pretty much industry standard) volume pedal is the Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (Mono or Stereo depending on your need) It has a very smooth taper is built very strong and moves only when you want it too. But there are many pedals out there on the market.

One of the coolest I've ever seen now discontinued is the Visual Sound Volume Pedal. It had a strip of led's on the side of the treadle to show you exactly where the treadle was positioned on a dark stage. You might find one on ebay.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • gotcha.......thanks for you help.
    good night, good bye