Accoustic guitar

nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am in the market for an accoustic guitar. I have played a Martin D-28, a Taylor 410, a Taylor 514, and a Talyor 714.

I liked the sound of the Taylor 410 best.

This weekend, I am going to play a Breedlove Focus Dreadnought. I've never played or heard one before, and I found one at a great price on the internet through a dealer.

Does anyone out there have experience with these guitars? Do you like them? How is the sound compared to Martins and Taylors?

I don't know if anyone out there reading this has answers to my question, but I thought I would ask.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Breedlove is a custom manufacturer, he's been building guitars for quite a while now and he's good at it.

The ones that I have heard and played are more similar to Taylors than Martins. Similar to Larrivee if you are familiar with them.

I like the Taylor 410 and 414 a lot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    Thanks. I am driving to a neighboring town to play one before buying the one from the guy over the internet to see if I like it.

I love the treble side of Taylors and the sustain. I like the bass response of the Martins. I am looking for something somewhere in between. If I don't like the Breedlove, I'm going with the Taylor 410, as I found one locally that is priced right. I don't like the Talyor 414's as much because the 410 do have more bass response, while keeping the treble. the 414's lose much bass, especially when strumming...a bit to bright sounding.

Anyway, if I like the way the Breedlove sounds and plays, I'm buying it, as I like the looks of it alot. I've been playing an beginner-mid level guitar now for 15 years, and I finally have the opportunity to buy a high end guitar. I am sooooo happy! :)
    nick1977 wrote:
    Thanks. I am driving to a neighboring town to play one before buying the one from the guy over the internet to see if I like it.

I love the treble side of Taylors and the sustain. I like the bass response of the Martins. I am looking for something somewhere in between. If I don't like the Breedlove, I'm going with the Taylor 410, as I found one locally that is priced right. I don't like the Talyor 414's as much because the 410 do have more bass response, while keeping the treble. the 414's lose much bass, especially when strumming...a bit to bright sounding.

Anyway, if I like the way the Breedlove sounds and plays, I'm buying it, as I like the looks of it alot. I've been playing an beginner-mid level guitar now for 15 years, and I finally have the opportunity to buy a high end guitar. I am sooooo happy! :)

Absolutely. I know how that feels. I'm happy for you. :)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    someday i'll get myself a 314 to match my 355. i love the small concert-body sound for a 6-string. my 355 is and sounds huge. my morgan is a concert body.
  • It's funny because about a month ago I saw those guitars and thought they looked amazing in a magazine. They are absolutely beatiful. I went to their website and looked at some dealers and soon found out they were far out my price range for any guitar.

But wow if I had the opportunity to play one.

Does the model your considering have those amazing dancing swan inlays?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    It's funny because about a month ago I saw those guitars and thought they looked amazing in a magazine. They are absolutely beatiful. I went to their website and looked at some dealers and soon found out they were far out my price range for any guitar.

But wow if I had the opportunity to play one.

Does the model your considering have those amazing dancing swan inlays?

Here is the model I am considering. Click on "Full View" to see the full image.

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/products/guitars/performance_packages/focus_dread/index.html

I found one owned by a collector. It is 2 years old, and has rarely been played. I can get it for less than 1/2 the list price! I think I am in heaven! Who ever said angels play harps....I think they play guitars.
    nick1977 wrote:
    Here is the model I am considering. Click on "Full View" to see the full image.

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/products/guitars/performance_packages/focus_dread/index.html

I found one owned by a collector. It is 2 years old, and has rarely been played. I can get it for less than 1/2 the list price! I think I am in heaven! Who ever said angels play harps....I think they play guitars.

That's going to sound very similar to a Taylor 810. Same indian rosewood, I think taylor uses sitka spruce for the 800 series and engleman spruce for the 900's and presentations.

It should sound bright and clear in the high end and bassy on the low end exactly what you are looking for. The 410 will probably be a little warmer with more mids.
  • I hate dreadnaughts, so don't ask me...

Once I have some money saved up, I'm getting a Webber OM-body:

http://www.guitaremporium.com/inventory/photos/179-f.JPG
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I hate dreadnaughts, so don't ask me...

Once I have some money saved up, I'm getting a Webber OM-body:

http://www.guitaremporium.com/inventory/photos/179-f.JPG

That is a beautiful guitar.

I love the body style as far as appearance much more than a dreadnaught. However, I must go with dreadnaught for its bass response.
  • Thats weird. I always thought dreadnoughts look way better than other body types. Maybe its just because they're what I've always seen my favorite musicians playing.
  • I always preferred the looks of jumbo guitars (Gibson J-200, et. al.) but I prefer the size and playability of OM-body or auditorium-body guitars. As far as tone, OM-body guitars have the best balance between full chords and fingerpicked strings, so I'm pretty set on those.

Never cared for dreadnaughts.
  • Went to the guitar shop in Bozeman, Montana today... same town as Gibson's acoustics are made in. They had an absolutely gorgeous L-200 (smaller Jumbo). I like those too...

Above is a picture of the guitar a bought. It is being shipped out tomorrow, so I should receive it by the end of the week! I am very excited! It is a 2002 model, but it is new!!! I can't wait to receive it.
    I just got my new guitar!!!! It is a Breedlove Focus Dreadnaught. I absolutely love it. It has a Solid Sitka Spruce top, and indian rosewood back and sides. The tone and sound of the guitar is unmatched by any guitar that I've played. I absolutely love it.

My old guitar now sounds like shit now that I own a solid wood instrument. Oh well. It sounded good until I received my new guitar. I was going to hang on to it for sentimental reasons, but I am thinking of giving it to a kid in town who wants to learn guitar but cannot afford a guitar.

Anyway, just thought I would share. To all you accoustic guitar players...if you ever have the opportunity to own a solid wood guitar...take it up, because your ears will be immensely pleased.
  • Congrads man. That sounds wicked. I'm glad you like it. Someday I will get a nicer acoustic, maybe as nice as yours :)
    Congrads man. That sounds wicked. I'm glad you like it. Someday I will get a nicer acoustic, maybe as nice as yours :)

Hang in there. You will get it eventually. I waited 15 years before I was able to. Put your mind to it, and it will happen!
  • nick1977 wrote:
    I was going to hang on to it for sentimental reasons, but I am thinking of giving it to a kid in town who wants to learn guitar but cannot afford a guitar.

That's a really cool thought. I'd do it, but instead of "gifting" it to him, I'd indefinitely loan it to him. You never know... guitars like that might call you back someday, and if he gets to a point where he upgrades, it would be nice to get it back. And if you decide after a year that you don't miss it at all, then just tell him to not worry about it.

But share the love... spread the goodwill.
    That's a really cool thought. I'd do it, but instead of "gifting" it to him, I'd indefinitely loan it to him. You never know... guitars like that might call you back someday, and if he gets to a point where he upgrades, it would be nice to get it back. And if you decide after a year that you don't miss it at all, then just tell him to not worry about it.

But share the love... spread the goodwill.

Yeah....my gift would be conditioned on him actually learning to play and taking good care of it. If he just let it sit around, I would take it back. But, if he learned and loved to play, it is all his.
  • Congratulations Nick.
    That's a beauteous guitar! Isn't it inspiring to play a nice guitar? You don't want to go back! It is always good to have a crappy one that you can play on the beach, or up to close to the campfire, though.
    Too bad there's no little guitar emoticon to insert here like the other board! (Where my name is ;) )

I've given a bunch of guitars to kids. I used to find cheapos and fix them and give them out. Still do when I can. Good move and nice thoughts, Nick. I usually ask that the parents give it back to me, or give it to someone they think can use it if the kid I gave it to loses interest. I've only gotten a couple back.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
    tylerpjtx wrote:
    congrats
    i'm not realy into dreadnaughts....i'm saving up for a taylor 412ce right now. uh!

Keep saving....you will get it eventually. Funny thing is, I wanted a Taylor 714-ce for many years. I just happened upon this dreadnaught, and absolutely loved it, and I could not beat the price. I actually played it and liked it more than the Taylor that I had wanted.

But, the key is to buy what pleases your ear the most. The better the guitar sounds to you, the more you will be inspired to play. So, you will get it eventually....I've waited 15 years to buy a premium guitar. I like the taylor 412's also. They too have a great sound.

and who's_pearljam?: yes, it is really is inspiring to play a nice guitar. I feel like my playing has improved just by playing the guitar itself. I'm sure that is not true...kind of like when I was a kid and thought a certain type of shoe would make me run faster. Haha.
  • nick1977 wrote:
    and who's_pearljam?: yes, it is really is inspiring to play a nice guitar. I feel like my playing has improved just by playing the guitar itself. I'm sure that is not true...kind of like when I was a kid and thought a certain type of shoe would make me run faster. Haha.

I like to think that a beautiful, finely-crafted instrument challenges you to play better. Like you have to earn the right to own and play it.

Unless you're one of those doctors or lawyers who collect $10,000 guitars.
  • nick1977 wrote:

I think the instrument CAN improve your playing. Like MIG said, it inspires you.

I've been playing all my life and I think there is a certain synergistic thing between an instrument and a musician. You may hear notes and overtones in a new guitar, or just the fact that you HAVE it and you bond with it can bring out the best in you and inspire you to take your playing to the next level.
    The same holds true with amps, even effects will coax music out of you that you never thought you had in ya!

Same with groupies!

Hey, man,,,,, a musician is always looking for inspiration from somewhere! :D
    Be kind, man
  • The thing is, the right guitar is the right guitar... and it's not always a hand-made top-of-the-line luthier guitar, either. There are cheap guitars out there that are "the one" for some players. I have a Cort Explorer that I've got $200 into, and it's one of my favorite instruments ever (and I've owned a few. Maybe not as many as Bob, though). My first guitar ever was a Kalamazoo F-hole archtop acoustic, and that was one of the best acoustics I've ever played (RIP).

But, when the guitar was built with a finer attention to detail, the chances are higher that it will have that great overall character that will truly come alive in your hands.
    The thing is, the right guitar is the right guitar... and it's not always a hand-made top-of-the-line luthier guitar, either. There are cheap guitars out there that are "the one" for some players. I have a Cort Explorer that I've got $200 into, and it's one of my favorite instruments ever (and I've owned a few. Maybe not as many as Bob, though). My first guitar ever was a Kalamazoo F-hole archtop acoustic, and that was one of the best acoustics I've ever played (RIP).

But, when the guitar was built with a finer attention to detail, the chances are higher that it will have that great overall character that will truly come alive in your hands.

I want a stella acoustic archtop :(
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I want a stella acoustic archtop :(

They don't have photos in there yet, but they promise photos will be added... but it sounds like this is what my first guitar was...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3772448894
  • MIG,, you're right.
    I didn't mean to imply that it has to be expensive to be good.

Last year ( A year goes fast! :eek: ) when we were in Timbuktu, we watched a kid playing while the whole village was dancing to him,, with a rectangular old gas can and a stick attached for a neck, with one string on it.
    It was like,,,,"THAT'S low tech!"

(By the way, MIG,, I always remember when you sent those pictures of the mountains at Glacier and messages of good will when we were trying to show the locals what the internet was.)
    Be kind, man

I remember that as well...

It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to share life with the rest of the world, these days.
  • santuzsantuz Posts: 1
    anybody does like the classic shape and sound of a D-28?
    it'll be my continuos daydreaming until i get one.
    hope soon...
  • The thing is, the right guitar is the right guitar... and it's not always a hand-made top-of-the-line luthier guitar, either. There are cheap guitars out there that are "the one" for some players. I have a Cort Explorer that I've got $200 into, and it's one of my favorite instruments ever (and I've owned a few. Maybe not as many as Bob, though). My first guitar ever was a Kalamazoo F-hole archtop acoustic, and that was one of the best acoustics I've ever played (RIP).

amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....