Digital recording

nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking to build a digital recording home studio. Anyone out there have any recomendations. Should I go computer based, or buy a workstation with a harddrive or ZIP drive?

I am new to all of this, but here is what I have gathered from my readings:

If I base it on a computer, I need an interface such as M Audio Omni, a good soundcard such as Delta 66, some good software such a Cakewalk, and a mic or two. Oh....and of course a computer that can handle what I need it to do.

If I get a digital workstation, I need the workstation and a mic or two.

If I get that, do I have a good basic setup? Anything elese I need? I do want to expand in the future and get a MIDI keyboard, etc. But, I think that is all I need for a good basic setup.

What are pros and cons of computer based v. standalone worstation?

Does anyone have a MOTU 2408 MKII interface? Are they good? I have seen some good deals on them on ebay. What about M Audio omni interface?

It is just me and my instruments right now, so I don't need anything fancy, but I want a decent setup to expand upon and something I won't have to completely replace in a couple years. Any recomendations would help.

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    How many tracks are you looking to record at a time? If only 1 or 2, I'd suggest getting the Tascam US-122. Its comes with its own software, and its only $200.

Check here to see it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US122/

And of course Sweetwater is good for all your other needs as well*

*I am not endorsed or sponsered by Sweetwater
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It all comes down to what you wanna do vs. how much you can spend. How many tracks at a time will you record? How many total tracks will you record for one song? What kinda sound quality you want (mp3 demo, CD, or super-hi-fi)?

My opinion is that a computer-based system is more modular and easier to upgrade over time, but a stand-alone workstation is easier to use and more portable. Depending on what you get, there are crappy options and really good options in both areas.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    Thanks for the advice. Here is more about what I want, since my question invoked more questions than answers.

Here is what I am looking for:

I look to record primarily in my home. I don't need it to be very portable.

I don't look to record more than three or four tracks at one time. Most of the time, I will record one at a time.

I want to be able to layer sounds. I want to be able to pull out a bass guitar and lay down a bass line. Then an accoustic guitar and lay out a rhythm track. Than lay down a solo either on guitar or vocals. Then perhaps use a drum machine to give it some rhythm. Finally, maybe use a MIDI keyboard to add some addtional noises. I also am planning on learning banjo and mandolin, so I want to incorporate those into my music also.

As far as layering sounds, I want to be able to record many tracks...either all on separate tracks, or bouncing them to one to open up more tracks. But, I will likely record only one at a time unless I have a friend help me out, in which case it may be two at a time.

As for quality, I want at least mp3 demo, if not CD quality sound.

If I record onto my computer, does the interface or software effect the quality, or what should I look for to get good quality sound?

I am working on a budges. I am looking for a basic setup for around $500, upon which I can build and improve upon in the future.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    the digidesign mbox.

i swear by it. only thing is you need a beefy computer and it doesnt include midi ports. but for 500 bucks, plus 50 for a usb midi device. you cant go wrong.

plus its usb powered and has good preamps.
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I've got an HP computer, with a Audigy soundcard (not sure which one, but its the one with the interface on the front so I can plug in easily). I use the Cakewalk Guitar Tracks program to record. It's basically like using a four track, but it has like 200 or 500 (enough) tracks. I tried using a do it all stand alone and to be honest, was just to impatient to figure out how to use it to its full potential. If you want something that you just plug up and play in, I would suggest a computer set up, plus they can get as complicated as you want, and are easy to upgrade. I don't record very often with MIDI, so I don't really know which setup would be best for it, but I know Cakewalk supports it and my soundcard has the inputs for it. I believe I paid around $300 for the card and to have it installed, but that was 2 years ago, so I might be completly off about the price.

Using that setup I have recorded two full CDs of my music, with me playing all the instruments and handling every aspect of the recording, from pressing the record button to final mixing, and I'm not a technical guy at all, so its pretty easy and straightforward. I know that it's probably not the best setup for everybody, but its perfect for me, and I would recommend it if you just want to plug and play.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)