MBox ProTools Questions

nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just ordered an MBox off of ebay. I am very excited about it and excited about getting material down. It comes obviously with ProTools LE, but also includes Ableton Live, Amplitube, and a number of other software programs.

I've got two questions.

First, Amplitube is a virtual guitar effects processor. It has wah wah and other effects. I think it will serve my needs nicely. However, I've only got an accoustic guitar. It has a pickup and a mic installed. If I set it to pickup and plug it in, and run Amplitube, can I get some nice effects?? Anyone ever tried this? I don't know if it will work, but if anyone has tried it, could you let me know how to get good results using Amplitube with an accoustic guitar?

Second, Ableton Live. It is a loop program from what I read. It deals a lot with electronic muisic, but is it a good tool for guitarists? Ex/ can I set down a loop of a chord prograsion and then play over it?

I'm excited about exploring all of the possibilities, but am new at this. IF any of you have used these before, any advice is welcome!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i had very little luck with amplitube as a real time effect due to latency issues. you can't hear the effected guitar signal whilst recording without a slap delay on it. you can however, hear the uneffected guitar signal without latency. this is the same issue you'd have with any plug-in though so it's not a slag on amplitube.

i use it once it a while as a plug-in to "re-amp" certain tracks like my shitty toy keyboard etc.

i haven't delved into ableton yet as i have fruityloops which i was able to get comfortable with really fast.
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    greg, which version and plugins did you get of fruityloops? i think i might get it along with a mbox/protools since i want to start recording songs that i can do entirely on my own. do you have any new material that you've posted using it? what your site address again? by the way, i had downloaded all my mp3s from my PC to my ipod. i was listening to it this morning set to random play, and your song "if i said" came on. i dig that tune. good work.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    i have fruityloops 4 and 5. bought 4. free upgrade to 5. i have the $100 version, the middle one, i forget what it's called. it has a lot of softsynths and drumsynths in it but i don't have a midi controller hooked up so i'm a bit impaired.

http://minorlith.net/audio/air.mp3
    the "drums" are simple but i did a lot of weird manipulations to them in FL. also, the screwed up acoustic samples are sequenced in FL. and that weird, swirling synth is FL.

http://minorlith.net/audio/GMT+3.mp3
    simple clicks and pops in FL. i need to roll the high end off the brushes.

http://minorlith.net/audio/good%20(inst).mp3
    drums, again.

i have another song that i did a bunch of cool synth stuff in FL but it's not up on my site right now.

so i haven't really used FL to it's full potential but it does the job. i don't know how to play drums so i don't make great loops.
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    Another question. I play guitar but want to incorporate drums and other backing intruments in my recordings.

Do I now need a MIDI keyboard, or are there programs that have prerecorded drum loops I can insert in?

I will eventually get a MIDI keyboard, but am spent out right now...I'll have to save a while longer before buying one.
    you don't need a MIDI keyboard to program drums in fruityloops and i'm sure it's the same in ableton. i think the MIDI keyboards are essential for software synthesizers but not so much for drum programs.

i don't build my loops within protools. i do them in FL and then import them to protools as wav files. maybe not the most graceful way but it works.
    Thanks for the advice. I've got alot to learn. It should be a lot of fun experimenting with my new toys!
    believe me, it's awesome. time melts away.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:
    i had very little luck with amplitube as a real time effect due to latency issues. you can't hear the effected guitar signal whilst recording without a slap delay on it. you can however, hear the uneffected guitar signal without latency. this is the same issue you'd have with any plug-in though so it's not a slag on amplitube.

What is your playback engine's sample rate set at?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    UPS is delivering it to my house tomorrow!!!!!!! I can't wait to hook it up and play around with it!!!!!!!