In the market for a bass guitar

nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have played guitar now for about 16 years. I know a group that needs a bass player, and I said I could fill in. I am now shopping for a decent bass.

I've never looked at bass guitars before. What do I look for? Any suggestions as to a good bass for a decent price? A guy tried to sell me an Ibanez last night for about $180. Can I get a decent bass for that? I know I'd have to spend more than that to get a good guitar.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Also, I'm interested in a fretless bass cause I know they sound great. Any comments about that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    nick1977 wrote:
    I have played guitar now for about 16 years. I know a group that needs a bass player, and I said I could fill in. I am now shopping for a decent bass.

I've never looked at bass guitars before. What do I look for? Any suggestions as to a good bass for a decent price? A guy tried to sell me an Ibanez last night for about $180. Can I get a decent bass for that? I know I'd have to spend more than that to get a good guitar.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Also, I'm interested in a fretless bass cause I know they sound great. Any comments about that?

You wanna spend more than $300 in my opinion for a good bass, $500+ for a great bass. But that $180 Ibanez will be a good starter I think if you have the money to upgrade later. I started with a cheapo Ibanez and learned techniques and shaped my skills, then upgraded to a better model. (Plus if you end up not liking it, better to throw away less than more).

Are you playing with a pick or your fingers?
    Looking for a 4/5/6/8/12 string bass?
    Style of music you play?
  • Bor HBor H Posts: 25
    I would agree with danny about the price. But make yourself a fovour and buy fretted, you will never sound as good as you could if you are going to start with fretles, it's quite hard. There's also a possibility to buy that ibanez for 180 and after few months buy another decent 500+ fretless bass. Just my litle opinion as a bass player.
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    Bor H wrote:
    I would agree with danny about the price. But make yourself a fovour and buy fretted, you will never sound as good as you could if you are going to start with fretles, it's quite hard. There's also a possibility to buy that ibanez for 180 and after few months buy another decent 500+ fretless bass. Just my litle opinion as a bass player.

Should I go ahead and spend $500? I am leaning toward it....even if I decide I don't like it, I could probably sell it for $350 on ebay, and not be out any more than if I bought the cheapo bass and kept it.

After all, in my guitar experience....a good sounding guitar encourages practice.

If I spend about $350 or $400, will I get a decent bass? If I look in that price range, what are some good ones to look at?

I'd be playing bass with my fingers.

Style? I'd be playing mostly jazz, perhaps some folk/bluegrass, and of course some Pearl Jam. I'd love an upright bass, but that is too damn expensive!

I'm looking at 4 string basses.
    nick1977 wrote:
    Should I go ahead and spend $500? I am leaning toward it....even if I decide I don't like it, I could probably sell it for $350 on ebay, and not be out any more than if I bought the cheapo bass and kept it.

After all, in my guitar experience....a good sounding guitar encourages practice.

If I spend about $350 or $400, will I get a decent bass? If I look in that price range, what are some good ones to look at?

Yeah that price range should get you a good bass. I prefer Ibanez and Fender personally, but if you're going for a metal-esque sound Warwick isn't a bad choice. Schecters and Rickenbackers are good too. Bass isn't hard to learn but it's different than guitar especially if you go for more than 4 strings. Play a bunch before you make a purchase, make sure it feels good (but you should know that already ;) ).
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    You cant go wrong with either a Fender Standard Jazz Bass (fretted or frettless, WITH fretlines), or a Godin Freeway Bass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    In this price range you could get used GL Tribute and they are one of the best in that rang.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    get a p bass.
    The Fender Standard Jazz Bass I've looked at looks great!

I can get one on ebay for around $300.

Question.....why is fretless so much harder to play? I don't understand. Especially if it has fret marks even though it does not have frets. I know I am showing my ignorance here, but I need to know if they are really that much harder to play and why. From what I've heard, fretless is the sound I'm looking for.
    nick1977 wrote:
    The Fender Standard Jazz Bass I've looked at looks great!

I can get one on ebay for around $300.

Question.....why is fretless so much harder to play? I don't understand. Especially if it has fret marks even though it does not have frets. I know I am showing my ignorance here, but I need to know if they are really that much harder to play and why. From what I've heard, fretless is the sound I'm looking for.

I've played one at a guitar shop before, and it's a whole new instrument, I'm serious. I can't believe how different it is, and I can't even explain why! I think you have to be more accurate when playing a fretless, and I think the notes actually lie where the actual fret would be, but don't quote me on it.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    5 string basses are where it's at.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    nick1977 wrote:

I was playing fretless the other day and is really like learning to play again. If you miss the right place the tone wil be like AWWWW. I know a bass player that doesn't play fretless with band becouse he hasn't masterd it yes. Ther's also another problem, if you let the pressure of the string just for a moment on fretless you are fucked. Precision is a must with fretless, belive me, you will be lost with those huge strings enough ;)
    OK.

I talked to the owner of the music store and played some basses last night.

Then he brought out an upright bass and played it for me. It sounds 100 times better than bass guitar could ever sound!!!! It is so rich and deep in tone. I asked him about those. I am taking a few upright bass lessons over the next month to see if I like it and want to buy one. If I like it, I'm getting an upright bass!
    nick1977 wrote:
    OK.

I talked to the owner of the music store and played some basses last night.

Then he brought out an upright bass and played it for me. It sounds 100 times better than bass guitar could ever sound!!!! It is so rich and deep in tone. I asked him about those. I am taking a few upright bass lessons over the next month to see if I like it and want to buy one. If I like it, I'm getting an upright bass!

Cool! Those are a completely different intstrument too. Pretty hard to play if you're used to guitar positionings. Good luck.
    danny72688 wrote:
    Cool! Those are a completely different intstrument too. Pretty hard to play if you're used to guitar positionings. Good luck.

Yes, I know!

But I'm very excited....I'm approaching it as a whole new instrument...putting all my guitar knowledge behind me! I'm calling to set up my first lesson today. I'll take three or four lessons and decide if it is for me or not.

I absolutely LOVE the sound. It is amazing. :)

I do have a decent knowledge of theory....so that will still apply, but learning technique will be all new. I'm quite excited!
    nick1977 wrote:
    Yes, I know!

But I'm very excited....I'm approaching it as a whole new instrument...putting all my guitar knowledge behind me! I'm calling to set up my first lesson today. I'll take three or four lessons and decide if it is for me or not.

I absolutely LOVE the sound. It is amazing. :)

I do have a decent knowledge of theory....so that will still apply, but learning technique will be all new. I'm quite excited!

Great, hope it works out. Take advantage of octaves and fills, that's how I keep my hard on, well, hard ;) Pulls you out from the background and makes you (as the listener) listen to the line more. And for me to have the most fun, I hardly ever mirror the guitar. Hope you love it :D

I remember playing For Whom the Bell Tolls once on a stand up. That sounded fantastic but it was so hard to play.