Learning Guitar

johnnytymejohnnytyme Posts: 3
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Could I have some insight on learning how to play guitar? I've been picking things up on my own fairly quickly but I'm worried about developping bad technique that will stay with me for life. Obviously, Mike McCready, Stone Gossard and Eddie Vedder all really inspire me. How did they learn how to play guitar? Did they get lessons? If I could have some tips, and maybe some information as to whether or not lessons are really necessary.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Lessons never hurt anyone. I've been playing for just about 10 years now, and I just started taking formal lessons about a month and a half ago. $20 a week never went so far.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I'm actually taking a class in college (that believe it or not, helps towards a Nursing degree) that teaches guitar. I'm hoping it helps...as it stands now, I need all the help I can get.
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
    I'm actually taking a class in college (that believe it or not, helps towards a Nursing degree) that teaches guitar. I'm hoping it helps...as it stands now, I need all the help I can get.

I took a jazz theory class in college, but it was a bit beyond me at the time. I look at the lessons I am taking now as the first real 'lessons' I have had. I mean, I learned a little in the theory class, and the teacher knew we weren't all John MacLaughlin, but I didn't have enough of a foundation at the time to really understand everything.

In the past couple of weeks there have been lightbubls going off in my head constantly. It's been just amazing.
  • There are lots of 'interactive' lessons online as well, which, in my opinion, are great for beginners...who wants to play chords repetitively with me while I sort out my fingering? Exactly, so why not play with my computer! (plus they're free)
    There are lots of 'interactive' lessons online as well, which, in my opinion, are great for beginners...who wants to play chords repetitively with me while I sort out my fingering? Exactly, so why not play with my computer! (plus they're free)

I agree. Get your basic chord and scales and beginner theory online.
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    Ahhhh...the eternal question....lessons or no lessons? I think you need a combination of things to learn guitar and be a good guitarist.

1. An ear for music. The most important thing is having an ear for music...this can be developed. You need to be able to hear the changes and progressions of the chords so you can better play and improvise.

2. Basic technique. If you develop bad technique early on, it will cause problems later. Thus, lessons, or guitar method books help you develp good technique early on.

3. Learn the patterns up and down the neck. This is the key to guitar, and all music....learning patterns. The patterns repeat themselves. A good book helps with this.

4. Playing with other musicians. Find a guitarist better than yourself and play with him/her.

5. Play with CD's. Once you know the basic chords and patterns, you can begin to play along with CD's. Mess around. Don't try to sound exactely like the song. Play what sounds good using the chords and patterns you learned for other people, lessons or books. Also, don't limit yourself to one type of music...learn to play other styles that you normally don't listen to. Sometimes you find elements to incorporate to create a sound you like.

6. The most important.....PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. The more you play, the more you practice, the more your read about the guitar, the more you will improve. At times it is fun, at times it is frustrating. But, it takes YEARS to learn an instrument. I've been playing for about 15 years, and still have much room for improvement.

An instrument is a lifetime pursuit. If you dedicate yourself to it, work hard, and have fun, you will become a better musician. One day you will wake up and be playing things you never dreamed possible. So, lessons are not essential, but if you don't take lessons, buy some method books. You have to have some theory to become a great guitarist.