Guitar buzzing

niallniall Posts: 244
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Howdy

My friend has a cheapish guitar and when the volume is turned up it starts to buzz and hizz. It stops when you touch the metal volume and tone controls.

I heard that if you take the plate off and put foil around the inside of the pickups it helps to stop the buzzing... Im having tried it myself as i dont have this problem

I would like some advice before i give this advice and she fucks up her guitar cause of me....

thanks amigos
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    niall wrote:
    Howdy

My friend has a cheapish guitar and when the volume is turned up it starts to buzz and hizz. It stops when you touch the metal volume and tone controls.

I heard that if you take the plate off and put foil around the inside of the pickups it helps to stop the buzzing... Im having tried it myself as i dont have this problem

I would like some advice before i give this advice and she fucks up her guitar cause of me....

thanks amigos

It's called 60 cycle buzz or a ground loop.

Sheilding will help though if she goes that route I suggest a sheilding plate if there is one available for that guitar, foil is easily torn, the inexperienced could take it to a guitar tech and have it done. You'll still have some buzz but it will cut it out considerably. Isolating the power supply and turning off high EMI devices (flourescent lighting) will help.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    play well fuckin loud and you won't care a rats ass! Pacs right, get a plate or some sheilding.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
    get a tech to over haul that part though:-)
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    you are grounding the circuit when you touch it, more then likely you have a wire some where that has a break in the protective cover. Or the ground wire came loose. Either way it is a simple fix.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    i have the same buzzing problem with my recently purchased tele...what exactly is sheilding, and how exactly can I eliminate or surpress this annoying buzz?
  • WES wrote:
    i have the same buzzing problem with my recently purchased tele...what exactly is sheilding, and how exactly can I eliminate or surpress this annoying buzz?

tele's are noisy sometimes...sheilding (although ive never done it) is taking foil and putting it on ur pickup inside the guitar...thats the best way to explain it i guess...eddie put a p-90 on his american tele, imagine how much noise that much make!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    ...eddie put a p-90 on his american tele, imagine how much noise that much make!

I noticed that when watching them perform masters of war on letterman....i was thinking of making that same modification on my tele nashville...a lack of funds and need for a new amp has since surpassed the importance of the P90 install experiment...

for now the buzzing is bareable.. i was just hoping for a quick and easy fix
    WES wrote:

Copper Foil or Adhesive Copper Paint to eliminate noise & Hum. basicaly turn the inside of your axe into an impenatrable metal box. keep your tele in the middle position so the 2 pups are humbucking, cuts it down a bit. IMO a bit of noise dont hurt.