Would it do any harm...

sirjamstonsirjamston Posts: 38
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
To plug a microphone into a Bass amp? I know that you're not really supposed to plug a guitar into a bass amp or vice versa, but how about a microphone? And is there a special type of amp needed for a microphone? What do bands do at gigs with their mics?

Thanks for any help!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PA system. Not guitar/bass amps.
    To myself I surrender, to the one I'll never please.
  • Aye, unless u don't gig & have no use of a PA system. In that case, if u wanna have some fun and take the risk.....

(ps im not recommending it)
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    yea it wont do anything when then volume is down but mic pops and the like are gonna be hell of speakers if you are pushing a lot of voume through. plus guitar speakers are meant to react differently (eq curves and level of breakup) than pa speakers. that is unless you have an amp like a twin that is made to stay clean and get very loud.

still NOT RECOMENDED AT ALL but if you plug in and yell shit through at low volumes it shouldnt do anything.
  • well i don't have access to a PA system and aren't likely to in the near future so i don't know whether to risk it. the bass amp is 35w and we're only practicing in a little garage room. not gigging. but i don't want anything to blow up! Any more information would be appreciated! we're desperate to use a microphone though!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Many bands have actually done that before, the major problem is feedback, than and you get no highs.

It won't harm it at low volume but the speaker is simply not built for voice and they wide dynamics of the microphone so it won't sound too good. You will do damage to the speakers at higher volumes and from feedback, and it's really easy in a room full of drums and guitars etc to get feedback from a cardioid pattern omnidirectional mic. That being said I use an old guitar amp to do the same thing sometimes. Just keep it under control, run the EQ flat to begin with.

You'll need a lo-z to hi-z adaptor to plug the mic cable into the amp (if there is an active/passive (hi/lo) input use Active), it's not the recommended way of going about it.

There are cheap PA amps available that are adequate, you could trade the bass amp for it. I used to play bass through a PA setup.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.