Need Expert Advice: Home Recording for Dummy

saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi,

I'm hoping to figure out a way to record myself (guitar/vocals ect) on my computer. I use to have a Tascam recorder (8 tracks). It was great but it worked on cassets, which is ridiculously outdated. I'd prefer to record on my computer. I have XP.

What's the best recording hardware/software? (I have about $250-200 to spend and would like about 8 tracks).... What exactly do I need? Do I need both hardware and software? If so, is there anything that includes both?

Thanks so much for any help!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• saveuplife wrote:
    Hi,

I'm hoping to figure out a way to record myself (guitar/vocals ect) on my computer. I use to have a Tascam recorder (8 tracks). It was great but it worked on cassets, which is ridiculously outdated. I'd prefer to record on my computer. I have XP.

What's the best recording hardware/software? (I have about $250-200 to spend and would like about 8 tracks).... What exactly do I need? Do I need both hardware and software? If so, is there anything that includes both?

Thanks so much for any help!!!

6-track Behringer mixer: $150
    USB Audio interface: I have $30 Behringer U-CONTROL and it's been fine. I've heard other people bitch about it, so maybe drop a an extra $20 and get a better one.
    Software: Reaper ($50, but it has a full-featured trial version so you can try it out). Go for Audacity if you want it completely free, but Reaper is awesome and worth the money.

Plug in and rock.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, you're definitely going to need hardware, gotta get a mic signal converted into a digital signal and into your computer. And you're going to need software, gotta get those digital signals to work together so you can mix them onto a CD. Fortunately, most hardware interfaces come with software, so you can usually get both in one package.

At the price you're working with, you're pretty much limited to a USB interface, which limits you to two tracks of audio at a time. Most programs will allow you to do many more tracks, usually 32 or 48 total, but USB interfaces can only record two tracks at a time.

Here are a few options:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Lambda-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245506

-a good brand-name interface, coupled with the #2 software (Cubase).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505

-the big brother to above

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498

-above your stated price range, but it's the entry-level ProTools box. ProTools is the single most common recording software out there.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    I think I have a good system for cheap.
    All you need is....
    PC
    Software (Cool Edit Pro 2.0)
    Hardware. I use an external soundcard (Firebox, $300)
    Thats it

CEP is a little outdated but I know how to use it. Every software is different and very hard to learn if you dont have someone to teach you
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    I plug straight into my Mac with a 1/8 converter.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • JkingyJkingy Posts: 46
    Ballgame has the right idea, in my opinion.

I use a Shure PG58 (I think) Microphone plugged into my laptop, I generally place it against the front of my amp for guitar, instruments etc. and use it as you'd expect for vocals. You're probably better off getting a proper, decent condenser Mic though.

I run it all through Adobe Audition on Windows XP, excellent program in my opinion, easy to use, tons of tracks to record to and plenty of options like effects, EQs. It is unfortunately about $349, so a bit out your price range, but definately worth it if you're serious about recording.
  • PJim87PJim87 Posts: 18
    I been using sony acid music studio 7. Can get it for free for 30 days off their website. It seems awesome to me, Can record infinite tracks, you arm each one and can record multiple tracks at a time (i believe, havent tried to do more than one at a time yet). But its user friendly and works well enough to start with, and its only 60$.