Musicians may appreciate this...

Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, I go to hear an old band do their stuff. I don't mean "old" as in playing old rock music..These guys were old timers...playing waltzes, cah-cha's, fox trots, etc..
Anyway...the band leader tells me a story...
There was a job that was suppose to have an accordian player, sax/clarinet guy, and drummer...just 3 pieces..So, no one shows up but the drummer. Well, the show must go on, so only the drummer ends up playing...
After a few songs, someone comes up and requests the song Stardust...the drummer says...I just played that....
It is funny...think about it..
Save room for dessert!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    I don't get it......is it funny because without the other instruments, the drums could be playing anything?
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Squidge wrote:
    I don't get it......is it funny because without the other instruments, the drums could be playing anything?
    Exactly...
    I was with a bunch of musicians when I heard this. It was told to us as a true story...who knows...but it was right after a job and we went out to eat afterwards. The guy telling it had just heard it and evidently just GOT it...he was laughing so hard he could barely tell it...It is probably a true story, knowing these guys.
    But yeah....just drums at a show and a request....LMAO!!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    I used to crack up when James Brown, in some of his stuff with the JB's, used to tell the drummer to drop down to D or C and stuff like that.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
    Spook Fish wrote:
    I used to crack up when James Brown, in some of his stuff with the JB's, used to tell the drummer to drop down to D or C and stuff like that.
    Ahaha...poor drummers...they get so much heat...

My dad and bf are both drummers...well dad use to be...I did actually hear my bf do notes on the drums at a show...
    They were doing a Santana song...and he went through the whole octave...it was spectacular...I was shocked and proud.
    It is hard to explain how it went...but it went from high to low and sounded just like notes.

EDIT: I just remembered which song...it was "smooth"...he uses a latin beat and does a bit in it once or twice where he does this whole note sounding thing.
    Save room for dessert!
    Funnily enough, my band is looking for a drummer, they do get a bit of stick, but they are really are hard to find. (quality anyhow)

that whole octave techinque sounds awesome, i bet that blew you away. Santana is one my Fav Guitar players of all time. pure style man. i think most bands have covered Black Magic Women @ some point!!
    Spook Fish wrote:
    Funnily enough, my band is looking for a drummer, they do get a bit of stick, but they are really are hard to find. (quality anyhow)

that whole octave techinque sounds awesome, i bet that blew you away. Santana is one my Fav Guitar players of all time. pure style man. i think most bands have covered Black Magic Women @ some point!!
    Yeah...I wish the whole world could hear how he does that octave thing. When he came down for break..I said...when did you add that...He says I just never noticed.
    My bf has been playing professionally since age 15..and he is now 46. He use to teach drumming too. He is really good. Was properly trained. He has played with Iggy and has done some studio work for some well named groups, but isn't allowed to say who...when you do studio work, you give up your right to claim it as your work. He also has done some other old time things...like played behind the Golddiggers (They use to be part of Dean Martin's show)...and Henny Youngman..he was a comedian who had a band behind him. He also use to do the Detroit Fireworks from a barge in the river. Back then he did a lot of old people type stuff, but because he was so young then, he has been able to continue and while still young move along with rock as it happened. So, he is quite diversified.
    At a lot of the shows now...other drummers will just come to the shows to watch him. They try to watch what he is doing to get the sound he does. He uses techniques he learned way back then and they work great in today's music. People are always amazed..and want to learn from him.
    Save room for dessert!
    It must be very inspiring for a new drummer to see that level of musicianship, shit, i would come to see him play even though i'm not a drummer. thats very interesting stuff H, he's being pro for a long time and i dont doubt that he is probably respected in the industry by the young & old alike.

does he teach too?
    Spook Fish wrote:
    It must be very inspiring for a new drummer to see that level of musicianship, shit, i would come to see him play even though i'm not a drummer. thats very interesting stuff H, he's being pro for a long time and i dont doubt that he is probably respected in the industry by the young & old alike.

does he teach too?
    He doesn't teach anymore. I am not sure why.
    Save room for dessert!