playing guitar and singin at the same time=nigtmare

dreadheaddreadhead Posts: 64
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
ive been playin guitar 4 a while but still cant seem to get the knack of playin and singing at the same time. does anyone have any hints or advice it is welcomed. peace
"I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Get someone else to sing or someone else to play guitar?
    kthxbai
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    practice... you will get it eventually...

I had the same problem, but after a while your brain learns to do the two things at once...

pick out a song that is pretty easy on guitar, and learn it down cold... then add the singing.

the first song I learned was Long Road... dead simple guitar and the singing isn't too complicated...

practice.
    There's No Code.
  • I used to have the same problem. I eventually learned to get over it. I would jsut learn the guitar part so well that I wouldn't actually have to think about what I was playing, my fingers would just do it, then I was able to sing along with it. I still have problems if I'm just learning a guitar part and trying to sing along with it.
  • It's like your in high school and have had the same combination lock for 3 years...You just learn how to do it so well that you can talk, hold books, and eat while doing it.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • its easy peasy once you get it

i can sing and play pretty much anything at the same time now.

hard as poop to start it, but once i got it, i got it goooood :D

just practice easy stuff at first: betterman, thumbing my way, love boat captain, elderly women...., about a girl by nirvana, etc etc etc then move up :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Play easier parts and sing easier songs. I'm not trying to denounce your skill here, but it does take a while to get the hang of it. Start out easy and gradually work up. No one can begin with Jimi Hendrix's version of "The Star-Spangled Banner".
    I've noticed that our senators
    have very funny names.
    Like Lincoln, Zell, and Saxby.
    What's wrong with things like "James"?
    I think that this is crazy.
    I think that it should stop.
    I think this is the reason
    They confirmed John Ashcroft.
  • House has got it, start easy and get it cold. Then u'll be able to nail hard shit but u just have to have it down cold.... like, nothing like Eric Clepton on White Room with a solo going while u song but u can get it.... just practise
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • thanx for the advice guys much appreciated :)
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • yeah eventually you'll be able to carry a conversation while playing.

I always feel cool doing that. :)
    PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
    Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
    Don't get behind I can't fall back.
    Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
    They don't want no change. We already have.
  • Learn the song on guitar... learn it by heart so that you don't even have to see the fretboard.

Then add humming the melody of the lyrics while playing, pay close attention to the parts where you lose either the continuity of music or lyrical melody. Practice those parts separately.

Finally, try singing and playing, you should have it down with a day's practice, if it's an easy song.
    Hi, my name is Denis and I endorse this post.
  • I agree. Just play your best song over and over and keep trying. It hits you like magic one day. For me it was rockin in the free world and man was it sweet. The one day thing I don't agre with...at all. I think it takes most decent guitar players a while to learn this skill.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I used to have the same problem, and I'm still not a very good singer. LOL Practice will make it easier, I noticed that the more I did it the better I got. Now I don't even realize I'm playing guitar. So keep practicing!!
    The Dollars
    www.thedollars.net

facebook.com/greendaytribute

GO GO WHITE SOX!! 2005 CHAMPS!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage
  • Yeah, I have that problem too.
    I could sing (but I don't do it cause I can't) to chord stuff, for example black, crazy mary, betterman, oceans, elderly, if I play simply the chords,
    BUT if I wanna sing to Alive, Around the bend or betterman(if you play the stuff), or fatal, I can't do it, but I could do light years

I think that's because it's the lead part, and if you wanna sing you need the rythm guitar part.

But please correct me if I am wrong.
    BANZÄÄÄ

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him
    By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs
    So this is what it's like to be an adult?
    If he only knew now what he knew then