Need some help buying a guitar

dreadheaddreadhead Posts: 64
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
just wondering of anyone can help me out in buying one of these two guitars:
NOTE: I wish that i could afford better models but this is all that i can afford on my budget.

1. Monterey MSG-1 Traditional style Electric with 3 single coil pickups, traditional style tremelo system, white/ chromed accessories, 3 layered pickguard, one piece hand Maple Neck with Maple fretboard, solid alder body, 6 individually enclosed machineheads. *Colours available: BK- Black, SB- Sunburst, TWR- Transparent Wine Red, TBL- Transparent Blue, YL- Yellow.

2. Monterey MSG-3 Traditional style Electric with 1 Humbucker, 2 single coil pickups and unique individual style perloid pickguard. Other features are same as above MST-2. *Colours available: BK-Black, SB- Sunburst, DMR- Dark Metallic Red, DMB- Dark Metallic Blue, GD- Metallic Gi

i have no idea on guitar lingo and wat is good and wat is not so any suggesstions or help you could give would be great
"I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i'm not familiar with these but if you go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com there are customer reviews on guitars. also http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/
    has reviews.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • cheers for the advice mate :)
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Play them both and decide whhich sounds better for your style. No-one can tell you what guitar to buy,
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I just looked up Monterey.
    That's a pretty decent deal.
    For a guitar in that price range, I would probably get the MGS 5.

The other one (MGS 1) has three single coil pickups. You'll be able to switch between them, Bridge, bridge mixed with middle, middle, middle mixed with neck, and just neck.
    Usually on a guitar like that, the neck, and neck mixed with the middle pickup are the main usable sounds. The bridge pickup can be pretty harsh an high sounding, unless you upgrade it.

What the humbucker in the bridge will get you is a more powerful sound for lead, so it adds a little versatility to the guitar. I've been seeing a LOT of guitars lately as I've been setting them up in my friends music shop, and there are some damn nice guitars for 200 bucks. The pickups can be hit or miss, though, but usually the Strat-like guitars sound better with a humbucker in the bridge, so I think that you have a better chance of good usable sounds from that arrangement.
    Once you get a handle on what you like, you can always upgrade or change the pickups later. The other thing that can suffer a bit on those are the tuners. They can be upgraded if needed later, too.

The important thing is to get in the game, and to play and have fun!
    Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart