Fretless Basses

r1versr1vers Posts: 244
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anybody out there own a fretless bass? Are you happy with it? What company is it, how much did it cost, etc.? I currently own a Fender P-Bass but I'm interested in trying out a fretless to see how they sound; I haven't even tried to playing one. Any info on it at all would be appreciative.
"Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I to have been looking into fretless basses. Don't own one yet, I'm just going with an American Standard Fender Jazz
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I have a fretless bass, I just got mine and took the frets out with some pliers and a screwdriver, it's cheaper than buying a new bass, and it allows me to be a little more like Jeff.

They sound damn niced when properly intonated and sliding up and down the neck is one of the greatest sounds ever, You're meant to use roundwounds strings so you don't damage the fingerboard, but I can't be bothered, whats the point in having an instrument if you're not gonna let it wear and tear?? I love my fretless bass, but I would still advise keeping a fretted bass for the times when you need them.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    So aren't there like "trenches" where the frets go into the board? Or is it smooth throughout? Anyone else who owns a fretless or who has any experience with one?
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    I had one before switching over to guitar 6 years ago, I had a fretted one defretted and they used a filler of some sort to replace the frets, which also acted as a virtual fret so u could stay in tune (didnt explain that too well eh?)

Then i had a blank necked one more difficult to play and keep in tune but fun nonetheless.

get one and a chorus pedal and pretend ure in an 80's band! Think Gary Numans Music For Chameleons.

Have Fun

thetriplestackedman
    More difficult to play as in not knowing where is what if you want to play the normal notes?

I'm assuming you mean it's harder to tune by ear, but it would still be doable w/ an electronic tuner, or is there something I don't know about tuning it?
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    Do exscuse my first explanation, when I meant playing in tune I meant thats its harder to get your fingers on the right spot on the neck, and no, its just the same to tune as a regular bass especially with the electronic tuner.

Im having a brain fart cant seem to type what Im thinking, does the above explanation help? hope so

thetriplestacked man

ps

if in doubt just slide into every note, it sounds lovely
    Thanks for the help...it's only a matter of time until I pick one up, but I'm still looking at prices and brands. Any suggestions in that area?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by r1vers
    Thanks for the help...it's only a matter of time until I pick one up, but I'm still looking at prices and brands. Any suggestions in that area?

Fender, Warwick, and Tobias.

If you could find a fretless Fender Jazz Bass made in Mexico, that would probably be the best price on a good instrument... the Tobias and Warwick stuff is pretty pricey.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    If you could find a fretless Fender Jazz Bass made in Mexico, that would probably be the best price on a good instrument... the Tobias and Warwick stuff is pretty pricey.

Thats actually what I was considering (Fender Mexican Fretless Jazz) because I have a Fender Mexican Precision and it has good sound. But I also enjoy the sound of the Jazz, and wanted to make my next bass a Jazz, and the Mexican has held up well and still sounds good enough to me. Any other opinions?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by r1vers
    Thats actually what I was considering (Fender Mexican Fretless Jazz) because I have a Fender Mexican Precision and it has good sound. But I also enjoy the sound of the Jazz, and wanted to make my next bass a Jazz, and the Mexican has held up well and still sounds good enough to me. Any other opinions?

My primary bass is a Fender P-Bass that's made in Mexico... I love it to death! It needs a different finish (it's a deep purple, which is only good for Smoke on the Water covers) and maybe I'll just strip it and put a couple layers of clear-coat on it. But the fit, feel, sound and playability are unbeatable. I got mine for like $150 used, and then a hardshell case from Musician's Friend for like $60, so I've got a great bass for a great price.

I tend to prefer Mexican Fender stuff to the USA Fender stuff, anyways... it's all instrument and no mark-up in the price...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I got mine new a couple years ago, it's sunburst and it still has held up well. I've never really played an American and then Mexican P-bass right after it to tell the difference, but I've always been under the assumption that the Americans just hold up better. I actually just got a hard case for mine shipped to me today from Musician's Friend...I decided to go with class all the way - a Coffin Case. I LOVE IT. But then I realize all it really is is a case so it's kind of hard to get that excited...
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    a friend of mine leaves his fretless fender at our house (jams w/ the roomie) this thing is beautiful !!! he's got the frets painted on to make it easier, man it sounds sweet
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06