Microphone Suggestions

r1versr1vers Posts: 244
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello there - looking into buying a mic (condenser being the best option from the very limited knowledge i have) for around $100, definitely not over $200. primarily for acoustic/some electric guitar, bass, and vox. being able to really pick up my bass is my primary concern. i really don't know what to be looking for and what would give me the best value for that price range. i know i'd need an interface as well - any suggestions there too would be great. enlighten me with your experiences
"Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I know that Shure SM57's are very widely used for everything and they're at a great price.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    There's a post floating around here somewhere about the SM57's. Someone was saying that Tom Petty is a big fan of them. Whoever did the post had lots of information in there, ill see if i can find it because it was really in depth and would be a great help to anyone else who might have questions as well. I think it was 'mccready is god'.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I also posted some information on the Shure SM57 about a week ago.
    Here's the thread: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=270705
    The other thread dealing with the SM57 and Tom Petty was in Oct-Dec 07 called "Vocal mic help" - posted by JonnyPistachio

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I have a Rode NT1A that I got for around $200 that works really nicely on my guitars, bass, and vocals.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • i use a rode NT1a for vocals and acoustic and the SM57 for electric guitar/bass

both are excellent mics and not expensive
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    The SM57 is really *the* place to start. If you can afford the Rode, buy two 57s. Seriously... the option to do stereo recordings or mic your acoustic and voice seperately with a 57 will be worth more than the price of the single Rode. If you have two 57s, you'll use them for life... drum overheads... background singers... you'll never not need them.
  • I've said it many times before, and I'll keep on saying it over and over...

If you are going to get only one mic to record with, it should be a Shure SM57.

Add a pop filter if you're going to record vocals, and that will improve your results dramatically. For $20-40, a good pop filter is a great tool to have.

I've also recommended the MXL large-diaphram condensers, which can be had for under $100. A condenser will sound much better on acoustic guitar (although I've had some luck recording acoustics with 57's) and will be a different (not necessarily BETTER) vocal sound.

I'd recommend getting an SM57, an MXL V63, and a pop filter.

Now, for interfaces, I assume you intend on using a computer-based system?

Here's a cheaper interface: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Lambda-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245506

It's got two simultaneous inputs with preamps and phantom power (which you would need for condenser mics), as well as Cubase software, which is a pretty good program.

For a few more bucks: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=240479

Made by DigiDesign, this is the entry-level ProTools interface. Again, two inputs. Right now, it sells with two MXL condenser mics included... that might make it worth your while.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    The other thread dealing with the SM57 and Tom Petty was in Oct-Dec 07 called "Vocal mic help" - posted by JonnyPistachio
    - Ian
    thanks for tracking that down. i thought it was 'mccready is god' that mentioned petty and the SM57'S and it was. i might give myself a pat on the back for that ;)
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Newbie alert:

What is a pop filter?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    As always, an amazing response by you mccreadyisgod. Thanks.

How would you compare the recording of bass guitars between the two (if you have any experience)?

And a pop filter is something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-Pop-Filter?sku=421139

..it prevents well, popping, and hissing etc.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • r1vers wrote:
    As always, an amazing response by you mccreadyisgod. Thanks.

How would you compare the recording of bass guitars between the two (if you have any experience)?

And a pop filter is something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-Pop-Filter?sku=421139

..it prevents well, popping, and hissing etc.

It's ALWAYS great to see MIG around and he knows his sound!

The pop filter was invented for people who sing like me! It helps take the "P" and SHHHH and SSSSS out if you sing like that. Mainly to help from overdriving and clipping the amp.

I just went to using a Shure 57 and a pop filter for my vocals. I have a deep voice and the 57 works pretty well for that. You don't have to have your lips so close to the mike like a 58. The 58 and 57 are about the same thing, just a round windscreen over the head of the 58 and you have to be right on that for consistent vocals.
    I'm playing guitar and singing at the same time, so I have a hard time staying on the mike when I'm playing and I can be 5 or 6 inches away from the 57 with the pop filter on it.

The 57 works great for low frequencies on bass, too and is just a great all around mike.

Man, years ago, I think McCready is God and I recommended that everyone who buys an electric guitar should be issued a Shure 57! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Threw it in my bass drum, snare drums, hats...loved it. one of these days I will get some drums mics.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of mics that are better at certain things than a 57, but there aren't any that do a little of everything like a 57. In fact, the second-most versatile mic I know of is the AKG 414, which is ten times the price, and much more fragile.

For recording bass, you would want to put the 57 right up next to the speaker, about 2" away from the speaker cone. I like to put it pointing straight into the speaker, about half-way between the center of the cone and the outside of the cone. For a large-diaphram condenser, you would want to back off just a bit, maybe 1 foot away from the cabinet, pointed straight in. The 57 will have more presence and clarity, whereas the condenser will be much more boomy, more low-end but more muddiness.

The Shure 57 is still used on live stages and recording studios for multi-platinum bands. It's a favorite mic for snare drums, timbales, many percussion toys, guitar cabinets, and so on. They even use SM57's for the President when he gives a speech from a podium, it's usually two or three of them together, and they've used that system for decades. It's not only a good, clear, even sound, it's also reliable. Has anyone here ever heard of a Shure 57 that no longer worked? The old joke goes, "You can use a 57 to hammer nails into the stage, and turn around and use it for the gig."
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    so...i ended up buying an m-audio fast track pro. my friend actually had recently bought an audix i5 so i didn't get the shure as recommended. however, this set up isn't sounding as great as i would really like it to. i've been using cubase/audacity but ultimately things are just sounding distant and more noisy than one would like. what are the most general tips for recording out there? have tried bringing the input & signal down to hardly anything and cranking up the amps...this seems to yield the best results i think...but still there is a lot of hiss and just not as clean as we'd like. i dunno. definitely isn't a bottom of the line interface or mic and i'm pretty disappointed with the results as of now. the clean guitars are debatably not even sounding better than just a cheap $20 computer mic. must be doing something wrong. help! (please!)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    r1vers wrote:
    so...i ended up buying an m-audio fast track pro. my friend actually had recently bought an audix i5 so i didn't get the shure as recommended. however, this set up isn't sounding as great as i would really like it to. i've been using cubase/audacity but ultimately things are just sounding distant and more noisy than one would like. what are the most general tips for recording out there? have tried bringing the input & signal down to hardly anything and cranking up the amps...this seems to yield the best results i think...but still there is a lot of hiss and just not as clean as we'd like. i dunno. definitely isn't a bottom of the line interface or mic and i'm pretty disappointed with the results as of now. the clean guitars are debatably not even sounding better than just a cheap $20 computer mic. must be doing something wrong. help! (please!)

Start looking at nice mic pre amps.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • VMGACgVMGACg Posts: 135
    Shure SM57 is the way to go its around 100 bucks and i have no complaints
    I am questioning my education
  • GushfestGushfest Posts: 56
    SM57 for sure or the Audix alternative
    Stage College 03, Philly 05, Camden 06, Los Angeles 06, Los Angeles 07 (Ed solo w/ Flea and Jack Irons), MSG I & II 08, Beacon 08, Ed NYC II
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I only use the SM57s for recording as well.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.