Technics Record Player...

r1versr1vers Posts: 244
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I've been scouting out ebay for a technics record player for awhile...but know pretty much nothing on the subject.

I'm looking at the SL-1200MK2 based on another thread I saw on the boards and just generally positive reviews. Can anyone give me an overview of what I'm going to be needing in addition to just the player itself (assuming it comes new & w/ a needle of course)?

I've got a nice quality panasonic stereo system w/ red & white plugs in the back - can i use this as the amp? Am I making any sense at all? All of these are questions i'd be very appreciative to hear some responses to...
"Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    r1vers wrote:
    So I've been scouting out ebay for a technics record player for awhile...but know pretty much nothing on the subject.

I'm looking at the SL-1200MK2 based on another thread I saw on the boards and just generally positive reviews. Can anyone give me an overview of what I'm going to be needing in addition to just the player itself (assuming it comes new & w/ a needle of course)?

I've got a nice quality panasonic stereo system w/ red & white plugs in the back - can i use this as the amp? Am I making any sense at all? All of these are questions i'd be very appreciative to hear some responses to...

The SL 1200's are outstanding turntables. I am almost completely certain it will not come with a cartridge or needle. The RCA jacks (red and white) should plug directly into the phono in RCA plugs on your panasonic if it has them. If it does not have a phono in you may have some connectivity issues dealing with signal level.

check out http://www.needledoctor.com for more on just about everything you could need.

I currently have a Shure cartridge used for about a year at my house and and a Rega cartridge my buddy used for about a week that's been sitting in it's case in my living room for a few months if you are interested.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    how much would you be willing to sell them for? any stylus experience..do i need to have a technics needle on a technics player? i guess what im asking is are there some specifically for the 1200 series b/c i cant tell on needledoctor
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    technics make quality decks. good purchase mate i use them to DJ dance music as well, you wont be dissapointed

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99