DAVE KRUSEN'S drum-style (?)

AmandaAmanda Posts: 3
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
To all drummers there outside:

I need your help...
For me Dave Krusen's drumming seems to be irregular.I mean it always sounds like he's limping afterwards with his cymbals.Is it intentional?Maybe even an accepted drumstyle??If-how do you call it?
However-Dave's style is individual amazing.Very...emotional.I love him.

Thanks ahead!Bye
I will hold the candle,till it burns up my arm...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AtwoodAtwood Posts: 3
    I completely agree, though it seems to me that most PJ fans, even drummers, don't think of him being all that special. of course i'm relatively new to Pj and this board, so that statement might be b.s. either way, his playing on Ten is amazing.

he's somewhere in between mitch mitchell and dave grohl for me (yea, I know those are two opposite ends of the spectrum). i think he was better for the band than was Abbruzzese, who overplayed somewhat in my opinion.

to answer your question, I don't think his style is some sort of taboo in the drum world. it's definitely different. I was playing along to Ten earlier today, and had to adapt my style to accomodate his crash placements (wasn't easy). he's one of those drummers who makes it sound so much easier than it actually is.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Dave K is the man. I am one of the few who thinks he was the best PJ drummer.
    His style is different which is why I am such a huge fan.

Dave A would come 2nd, followed by Irons. I think Matt is a good drummer, but he is suffereing from Bad Religonitis, every freaking song sounds the same, unless of course he playing a Dave A or K song :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • artin90artin90 Posts: 66
    dave krusen didnt have any special fills nor did he play in avery irregular hard time. the truth is i can get on the kit and play and of the songs from ten. i cant say that much for matt cameron or some of jack iron's stuff. but i think the thing that made krusen special is his placement. he knew exactly where to fill and it was exactly what was needed. i think dave k made great decisions for the style of playing that ten was. i really liked "alive", "jeremy", and "release". i dont know if anyone can do it more perfectly
    “ ahh…. Yaa…. If you trust me at all… if you wanna listen to me at all… which you certainly don’t have to. Speaking from experience I can tell you that things change. You could believe me, you don’t have to. They probably won’t change, unless you make them. The best way to change something around you, something you don’t like, is.. to change yourself. I don’t think you want other people changing you.. I think.. I think.. the only person you want changing you… is yourself. So if you ain’t happy…. If you’re reading magazines about generation x’s and thinking ‘ya im one of them’ well fuck that…. Don’t let anybody tell you who you are. No… No…. No one can tell me who I am. I can tell you who I am but that would be a long story… I can tell you who I am and it wouldn’t fit in a Rolling Stone…. It wouldn’t fit in a video… it wouldn’t… its my life…. Its your life. Youre the only one that knows who you are. I hope you know who you are. If you don’t know who you are, figure it out. Cause you are some body. And Im probably stating the obvious. But I just thought I would do it anyway. So if you fell like you got a piece of duct tape on your mouth, if you feel like you cant speak. Take it off, Speak up. Speak your Mind. Shout it Out. Let ‘em Hear Ya. Shout it out…… YAAA YAAAAA yAAAAAAAAAAA.” Eddie Vedder (Porch ’96 Randle Island 2)

10/22/03
    Ten, No Code, Vs., Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Binaural

• Originally posted by artin90
    dave krusen didnt have any special fills nor did he play in avery irregular hard time. the truth is i can get on the kit and play and of the songs from ten. i cant say that much for matt cameron or some of jack iron's stuff. but i think the thing that made krusen special is his placement. he knew exactly where to fill and it was exactly what was needed. i think dave k made great decisions for the style of playing that ten was. i really liked "alive", "jeremy", and "release". i dont know if anyone can do it more perfectly

Oceans, man!! I love Oceans!!
    I want to show you something, like joy inside my head. Seems I've been living in the Temple of the Dog, where would I live if I were a man of golden words?