I feel like such and idiot, but...another Q!

cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Sorry for all the questions lately guys...I feel as if I'm capable of winning the "Most Annoying" awardo n the board - :(

Alright, but...I'm going to be buying a Tele here soon...So I'll have my LP and a new Tele, with a Strat to come after I buy my new amp. You guys know my story.

Here's the question...I know there's MIA and MIM, but there's also Made In Japan?!...and, what is a Highway 1, what sets it apart from a Standard?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Highway 1's are MIA's with satin paint jobs. Not really worth the extra scratch from jap models, though they are about the same pricewise I think. I haven't been impressed by them like I have the slightly more than MIA standard (American Deluxes)

If you're in that market the Light Ash Teles from Mexico with the duncan alnico 2's are excellent.

Japan builds some fantastic guitars. Gretsches are built in japan, as are many high end Ibanez guitars. Super clean factories. Excellent guitars, finishes etc. You have to play them to decide really what you like and whether it's good enough for you no matter what level they are on.

Fender USA and Fender Mexico are about 20 miles apart physically. Corona Ca and Ensenada Mexico. The mexican factory was state of the art a few years ago, they are just lower end guitars, they build higher end stuff in Corona.

What you need to do is develop a price target. Then read up on the models an their stats (wood, features etc.) Then go play them head to head, and decide which is better for you, (resonance, tone, playablity looks, feel) etc.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MIJ - Fenders biggest secret:

Have you noticed in the last few years you have never seen a brand new Made in Japan Fender GUITAR in the music store? Its because alot of guitar enthusiasts by teh mid-90's figured out that the Japanese Fenders were built to the same quality as the american ones, but could sell at a cheaper price. So naurally people started buying more of the cheaper guitar, rather than busting out hundreds of dollars more for the same product. This was costing fender alot of money, so they no longer import new Japanese Made guitars. I assume they sat in Asia/Europe, but they commonly make thier way over here abotu a year after they go on retail. If you can find a nice MIJ i would get it, i have a 1991 hardtail and its almost as good as my 2004 American Deluxe, its downfall is the lack of a S-1 switch, and v neck. Anyways keep your eyes out for MIJ!

harrison

ps: im a fender stratocaster nut so if you have questions feel free to ask

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Those satin-finished Highway Ones look like they're covered in a fine layer of mould, that's the difference. That and they suck. As for the Jap Fenders, I don't know that the comparison between them and the American Standards is as fair as it once was. In the '80s, yes ... now I don't know. I've owned three Jap Teles in my time, only one of them a keeper ('85). I've owned two American Standards, one Tele ('98) and one Strat ('04), both of them will be staying with me until I (or they) die.