Strat or Tele

cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
As many of you probably know, I'm revamping my rig and getting serious about music...I currently have an Epi LP-100 that I just loathe and I wanna go with a more clean, blues sound...i was suggested a Strat, but I have always wanted a Tele. So my question is, should I go Fender MIM Strat or Tele? Also, does anyone know wabout the new 60th Anniversary Standard Strat Fender has out?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    why not get both?
  • cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
    'cause money is always an issue. Eventually I will have both...but not now.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Well Stratocasters, because of having 3 pups and a vibrato arm, are more versatile. However you can't get a Tele sound with a Strat and vice versa, so what's more important than versatility is you personal preference for the basic sound. I'd suggest visiting a guitar shop (shops that do not carry Mex Teles and Strats are kinda rare) and try out both, preferably on the kind of amp you're planning on buying.

That said, both will get you a clean blues sound, but in a different way. Good luck. :)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • I saw an awesome American Strat today for only $699 :) (CDN)

I love both types of guitars so it really is a tough call.

What kinds were you thinking for both, (model,colour) I really think the colour would influence my decision big time.

For example, If you were going for a Teal Tele vs. a Burst Strat, I'd say Strat....

Give us some details ;);)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Give us some details ;);)

Some tone reference could help us help you, indeed. ;)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I saw an awesome American Strat today for only $699 :) (CDN)

new highway 1 or a used american standard?
  • I love them both. Sometimes Teles are the best and sometimes strats. My dream collection includes both.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm a sucker for Tele's, cause I just love their basic look and basic sound. they sound raw and almost primitive, which I kinda appreciate in a blues guitar. Sure the Strat is more versatile, but the sound is a tad bit too clean for me. Tele's have a more grittier edge to them (especially mine, which has a 4 way switch).

But that's my opinion, and every time I play a Strat I tell myself I need to get me one of those as well, so...
  • y-goy-go Posts: 16
    get a bd-2 keeleyized
    Sorry I haven't checked in guys...

Alright...i kinda wanna go with an "off" color with the strat...I'm going Maple board...Maybe a vintage white...maybe a mint/teal...With a Tele I'm going Maple with a darker color, maybe Wine.
    Although I could easily go with the Vinatge white or Teal Tele as I look at them...I'm leaning towards Tele...
  • well, the whammy bar is one thing that differentiates the strat from the tele..........depends on whether or not you would want to have one available to use........they can be cool, but its not like you need it in every song
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    well, the whammy bar is one thing that differentiates the strat from the tele..........depends on whether or not you would want to have one available to use........they can be cool, but its not like you need it in every song

Do you really use a whammy that much though??

I mean, I guess it depends on your style, but I know that when I play my buddies Strat, it just sits there for the most part.

I've fooled around with it before, but that shouldn't be a deciding factor in which guitar you get...whammy or no whammy? (IMO)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    I'm really, really leaning toward a Tele right now...I don't exactly know why, but it'll become my main guitar once I get it...it all depends on how I like it when I play it al il before I buy at GC.

I'm going to actually spend some cash and get a nice guitar that I'll have for a while to come this time...I've gone through too many low-end guitars.
    Which leads me to my next question...What sets the Highway 1 apart from the rest?
  • Do you really use a whammy that much though??

I mean, I guess it depends on your style, but I know that when I play my buddies Strat, it just sits there for the most part.

I've fooled around with it before, but that shouldn't be a deciding factor in which guitar you get...whammy or no whammy? (IMO)
    no i don't use it that much........but i got a les paul a few months ago, and my strat was ignored for a long time.........but now i find the whammy bar is one thing that really sets the strat apart from the les paul, not that i use it that much, but that is just one thing the strat has that the LP (or tele) doesn't
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • I sometimes stare into space and think about teles. Last year i always would play my PRS, but lately im all over my strat.. i love it.. my brother had a 600 tele and he liked it but for some reason he sold it now hes got a worse guitar. so if u want that bluesy sound get a strat if u wanna rock save you or mfc use the tele. my brother is actually going and buying a new tele..he likes eds tone alot... so get a tele cause i want one 2.. that will be my next purchase.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    One thing to keep in mind about the whammy bar, something that is somewhat frustrating to me, is that because of the way the bridge is designed, it makes alternate tunings somewhat a pain in the ass. Any change in tension on one string changes the tension at the bridge and all the other strings go out of tune. It stays in standard tuning just fine, but to try anything else is almost too much of a hassle, to me at least.
    Alright...I'm really leaning Tele, but...I like binding on my guitars...oh well, right?

Would the Standard be worth putting money into and using as my #1?
  • The mex '62 reissues have binding. Double, I think. Only rosewood board, though.
  • ... and forget the strat. If you only have one guitar, it should be a tele.
    biffhardon wrote:
    The mex '62 reissues have binding. Double, I think. Only rosewood board, though.

Link me! Thanks
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    If you like playing guitar like Neil Young, then you NEED a whammy bar.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • cjb5790 wrote:
    As many of you probably know, I'm revamping my rig and getting serious about music...I currently have an Epi LP-100 that I just loathe and I wanna go with a more clean, blues sound...i was suggested a Strat, but I have always wanted a Tele. So my question is, should I go Fender MIM Strat or Tele? Also, does anyone know wabout the new 60th Anniversary Standard Strat Fender has out?

I have a Mex Strat for about three years and it has always been great to me. But I recently bought a rosewood American Tele with lipstick pickup and the more I play it the more I am digging the tele. I can't explain it exactly but I find I play it differently - it is more of a groove than a lead, if that make sense.

I recently have been fooling around with PRS and that is a great guitar too, just a notable mention here even though that isn't what you asked. Very hot sound.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
    WindNoSail wrote:
    I have a Mex Strat for about three years and it has always been great to me. But I recently bought a rosewood American Tele with lipstick pickup and the more I play it the more I am digging the tele. I can't explain it exactly but I find I play it differently - it is more of a groove than a lead, if that make sense.

I recently have been fooling around with PRS and that is a great guitar too, just a notable mention here even though that isn't what you asked. Very hot sound.

Oh, a PRS is my dream...but I don;t want one until I can afford a 22 or 24...right now, I want a nicer LP than what I have, and a decent Strat, with a kick butt Tele...just am atter of which to buy first?

Hopefully I'll be playing through a Traynor soon with V30's.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I vote Telecaster. Led Zeppelin 1 and 2 can't be wrong. Neither can the first Black Sabbath album :)
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    i've got a ten year old mex tele my brother played the shit out of. i just polished up a few parts (need a new bridge because cosmetically, i can't look at my brother sweat/green grime) and love it. plays real fast, easy.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan