Key to Re-Stringing?

cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I always seems to do something wrong, what methods do you guys use?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    What kind of guitar? There are several different methods. :)
  • cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
    I can restring my LP fine, but I always seem to f-up my acoustic...they always seem to be too tight, and they pop the brdige pin out...also, what's a good way to tune a true-acoustic?
  • MarkBMarkB Posts: 115
    how do u get rid of all this exess strings..do u keep tightening so it keeps snapping n re tighten?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    im just so used to sringing guitars, it is 2nd nature. Usually only takes me about 10 mins to completely take off strings and re-string my acoustic (Gibson J45)

all4
  • How often do you restring your guitar???????????

Just a general question for everyone???

Acoustice and Electric???
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • im just so used to sringing guitars, it is 2nd nature. Usually only takes me about 10 mins to completely take off strings and re-string my acoustic (Gibson J45)

all4
    yeah me too. Once you've done it enough you don't even really think about it.

maybe there could be something amiss with your bridge that is putting too much pressure on the strings?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    No, I give it enough slack, then tighten it...not too much though...then when I'm tuning it, the bridge pins pop out...
    How often do you restring your guitar???????????

Just a general question for everyone???

Acoustice and Electric???
    depends on the strings....right now, im in love with GHS white bronze medium strings. I have been using them for about a year, and have not broken a string yet (on purpose). I also use Martin 150's. I guess it is time to change the strings when they start to lose tone, change color (different shade), or start getting "dirty." For me, usually about every 6-8 weeks, sometimes less

all4
    cjb5790 wrote:
    No, I give it enough slack, then tighten it...not too much though...then when I'm tuning it, the bridge pins pop out...
    sounds like something is wrong with your bridge...

all4
    sounds like something is wrong with your bridge...

all4

Exactly...I'm getting two new acoustics, but I just want to be sure i don;t make the same mistakes with them.
  • i restring my acoustic as soon as it sounds funny to me, or a string breaks, i try to keep my electric strings as old as possible, and usually only change a string when it breaks, and never all of them...It helps that i have boughten the exact same pack of strings for 2.5 years now, but i seem to have ALOT of extra 6th, and 5th's hanging around

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    i restring my acoustic as soon as it sounds funny to me, or a string breaks, i try to keep my electric strings as old as possible, and usually only change a string when it breaks, and never all of them...It helps that i have boughten the exact same pack of strings for 2.5 years now, but i seem to have ALOT of extra 6th, and 5th's hanging around

harrison

I do the same, but I change the whole set after a good deal...I just put a new set on my main guitar...the first full set I've put on in over a year...I don't play the 5th and 6th as much, therefore they don't wear as quick.
    i restring my acoustic as soon as it sounds funny to me, or a string breaks, i try to keep my electric strings as old as possible, and usually only change a string when it breaks, and never all of them...It helps that i have boughten the exact same pack of strings for 2.5 years now, but i seem to have ALOT of extra 6th, and 5th's hanging around

harrison
    i have TONS of 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th strings. I seem to only break the 2nd and 3rd strings when I do break strings, which is rare, but it does happen. I think it might have something to do with my strumming, which I have worked on quite diligently over the past year, hence, the decrease in string breaking

all4
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i buy strings and put them on.

every twelve years, if they need changing or not.
  • Acoustic: Once every 6 months or whenever I break a string.

Electric: Once a month at a minimum. I really like new strings.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Acoustic: Once every 6 months or whenever I break a string.

Electric: Once a month at a minimum. I really like new strings.

Thats me lately. I haven't changed the strings on my acoustic since I got my electric in October. I change the strings on my electric once a month. Tomorrow is new string day for both guitars.
  • I usually restring every 3 months +/-, depending on how much I've been playing the specific guitar.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by wanting to know people's techniques. It depends on what kind of tuners you have; the basic ones with the hole that goes through the tuner, you put the string in the hole, leaving enough slack to get the string around the tuner a few times, wrap the string around manually, then use the tuner.
    For tuners that have the hole down the center instead of through (like Jaguars), snip the string so you don't have too much slack, stick the string in the hole, wrap it manually around the tuner, then turn the key to tighten. On the thinner strings, I usually double them over before I stick it in the hole since they don't like staying in by themselves too well.

*EDIT*
    As a side note, if you are really having a problem with it, take it in to your local guitar store, and pay to have them restring it for you, and ask if you can watch. Most stores will let you if you ask and you come in when they aren't busy.
    "I don't need drugs; life is tragic enough."
    "If you love someone, let them go...if someone loves you, don't fuck up."

~Julie