Recording

cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Help me out here, I've been playing guitar for awhile now and my skills are moderate, but I want to start recording...Give me the basics...

What's it mean to be an 8-track recorder?

Is this good?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Multi/Track/Recorders?sku=240341
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• usually it means you get like 4 instrument channels (see those mic inputs up top?) -- you have four dedicated channels to record into with either a mic or a instrument level signal ...

plus you get 2 channels for line level inputs ... like sounds from a computer, or an effects chain, or from any source really that doesn't require a mic plug, i guess ...

... plus you get 2 output channels ... one is usually an effects send channel, and one is a master out channel ... or i think you can maybe use them as stereo outs, dependent on the 8track ...

i dunno ... i haven't had an 8 track sense my tascam cassette recorder ... ironicaly for $300 less now, you can get one with a 40 gig harddrive built in ...

so sad.

yeah it looks pretty good.
    looks prettier than the tascam version, which is $100 cheaper ... but i don't know about having instrument\mic ins on the top of the recorder.
    that's kind of obnoxious ...

but it would definately accomplish your aim of getting guitar down on "tape".

:D

got any more questions?
    i'm sure someone can answer them.
    i am in no way a recording-guru. ... yet.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • hey, CJB ...
    i did some looking at the specs on that thing,
    and here is what i have to say, take it with a grain of salt:
    ... i would consider the tascam instead:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/product/reviews/base_pid=241106/rpp=10/

there are some tradeoffs, but based on the reviews and specs, at your price point, here is what i see:

on the fostex you have 4 mic\instrument inputs ...
    on the tascam you would only have 2 ...

however,
    on the fostex, you really only have 7 channels,
    the 4 instrument channels, probably a line level in (though it doesn't say) and a combined output channel, apparently listed as "7/8" ... so there are really only SEVEN faders ...

on the tascam you actually get NINE faders ... 8 dedicated channels for tracks, and 1 dedicated master output channel ... so while you can only record 2 instruments at the same time (vs. the 4 on fostex) the unit will actually let you mix down EIGHT at the same time, instead of likely 6 (a guess).

also, the fostex appears to be sadly lacking in the EQ department ... see all those pretty knobs up top on the tascam? they let you adjust the low\med & high signals on each channel input ... either the fostex doesn't have them at all, or there is only one crappy knob to shelve with for each channel (though i don't think it has EQ based on one review) ...

lastly ... the fostex is reviewed as having really crappy preamps ... that's the part that goes with "phantom power" to give your mics enough volume to record ... if the preamps are bad, or weak, your recordings (with the mic) are gonna sound crappy and fuzzy ... HOWEVER ... the tascam link above does NOT have XLR inputs (the big mic input jacks) and thus has no phantom power either ... YET you are also paying $100 less for it ... which means you could buy this as well ... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=185271 which is a dedicated phantom power box ... then you could buy another XLR-to-1\4cable and plug straight in to the tascam, or since you are still like $70 under the original price of the fostex, you could splurge and also get a preamp -- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Signal/Processors?sku=184125 ... a dedicated preamp ... you would then run it through the output 1/4 (unbalanced) jack ... and into the tascam ...

my only other observation comparing hte fostex and tascam is that hte actual faders on the tascam appear to have more travel ... that is to say, you are limited more in your volume ranges on the fostex, as they are shorter faders than on the tascam. that could be a point of comparison as well.

all in all, the fostex looks fine, and is probably a more straight forward approach.
    but if you weren't concerned about XLR inputs at all, (or were willing to by the extra cable, and the phantom power and? preamp) and if you didn't need 4 simultaneous inputs as opossed to the tascams 2 ... you could save money on the tascam and have just as servicable piece of equipment (with the added help of some things like EQ and pan and a dedicated master volume) .

another option would be to spend MORE money and get the tascam with the cd burner built in, which DOES have XLR and phantom power ... but i think you are spending to much at that point, and also getting a few features you probably don't need ....
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Multi/Track/Recorders?sku=240492

there are a few otherways you could do all this too,
    but it probably all works out to the same price in the end ...

if you want to start really small, there are some highly portable devices that truly just let you record ... if you have a computer you could export the sounds to that and monkey around with one of several free or trial version recording packages that would essentialy replace all the faders and EQ knobs on the tascam ...

it just depends on how much you want to spend, what you need\don't need (do you even need XLR inputs? do have microphones, do you want them?) ... and where you see yourself going from where you are at ... if you intend to eventualy buy better equipment, i would not spend $600 to have something you will not use later ... i'd buy like a little mixer and a little recorder or something ... or just the little bitty recorder and try using a computer ...

hmm.

ok.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I just bought the Tascam DP-01FX... it is a bit more, but I like the extra features... it is really easy to use and gives good results when you consider the price.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=336651

this is my first recording effort (from the other thread)... that $300 tascam would give the same kind of results.
    There's No Code.
  • cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
    Alright guys, that information is awesome, thank you! But I don't know the least bit about recording and EQ's and channels...What I wanna be able to do is record a bassline, put an electric guitar over it, then an acoustic, then drums and maybe a keyboard...for band recording I'd have to upgrade lots right? So, maybe just being able to record a few jam sessions with 2 or 3 people...I want something that'll do that...Should I go hard drive or cassette? Oh, and I wanna be able to record vocals too...Is 8-track not enough for what I want?
  • cjb5790 wrote:
    well if you don't know much about EQ, you will after you get a board with some EQ knobs on it ... it's a lot of fun ... hmm... do i like my guitar to sound like a bass ... or my bass to sound like a guitar ... do i want my voice to sound neuteured ... or do i want to sound like i'm on steroids ...

ok ... that mixer looks just fine ... it solves some of the issues of just getting the stand alone 8track ... but it does nothing to address your RECORDING concerns .... it certainly serves as a respectable MIXING CONSOLE ... and serves the purpose of giving you INS and OUTS for your instruments and what not ... but you will still have to RECORD TO SOMETHING ...

again i'll ask if you have or have interest in using a computer, because that is probably where you will want to end up at some point ...

as for that specific mixer, i didn't read about it too carfully but i am weary of any product that says Behringer on it ... call it a personal phobia ... try checking in to some MACKIE stuff ... and then go from there.

if you get a dedicated mixer, you probably aren't going to want one of the 8tracks you have looked at, as you are getting a bunch of redundant features, like the ins and outs, the mixer nobs, all the channels really, and the big cluncky board itself ...

if you do go with 8 track, STAY AWAY FROM CASSETTE. no one has any business recording to cassette in the year 2006, for gods sake. :D
    this is the DIGITAL AGE, damnit!

if you go with the mixer, and you DON'T want to use a computer to record to, you may consider something like a DAT device, though i think they are probably almost as expensive as buying a computer ... i'm not sure what other recording options are out there that don't have redunant features assuming you get a mixer, but i can look this weekend for you.

So I could just buy a good mixer (that sits my needs), a good preamp and what not...and it'd be better than buying an All-in-One 8-track recorder? because essentially I could have 14 tracks and x amount of mixers and EQ's, right? Sounds liek ap lan to me...but I need to hook my computer up to my Mixer? What's the point of it though, using a mixing software when I have mixing hardware in front of me? Couldn't I buy some kind of USB hardrive or something?

By the way man, you are a God to me right now!
  • hey DriftingBTS,

jusst wondering what your recording setup is? you seem to knwo quite a bit, im a little curious!

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • in reply to CJB,

i have a yamaha 8 track mixer, and some USB inteface hardware. I really do NOT like this approach, i have been borrowing a Boss BR1600CD (yes a little expensive for yoru needs) but i find it much more usefull for me. You can mix tracks before exporting them to CD/or CPU, and you can save work. THe problem i find with a mixer, into interface, into CPU, is that all yoru volumes must be EXACT before you record, which involves many takes,.....just a suggestion

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    Hmmm...I need to educate myself!

Alright, what do you guys think I should do? What approach should I take?
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    For your needs, just goofing around recording some stuff on your own, your original link should be more than adequate.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    Right, but when comes the time to get more serious and puttting together a demo or whatever...it makes me think I should just go with seperate boards...BUT! what all would I need...what's good and whats not? What companies to stay away from?...and then I just need to learn how to use it all.
  • cjb5790 wrote:
    So I could just buy a good mixer (that sits my needs), a good preamp and what not...and it'd be better than buying an All-in-One 8-track recorder? because essentially I could have 14 tracks and x amount of mixers and EQ's, right? Sounds liek ap lan to me...but I need to hook my computer up to my Mixer? What's the point of it though, using a mixing software when I have mixing hardware in front of me? Couldn't I buy some kind of USB hardrive or something?

By the way man, you are a God to me right now!

wow dude.
    i would seriously not call me a god.

i just got all this shit a few weeks ago:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=157294&highlight=studio

and i had received a pretty sweet Acer laptop for xmas ...

the Tascam 1082 essentialy eliminates harrison's concerns about "getting the levels just right" before recording ... what he is saying, in case you don't follow ... is that with a mixer, and presumably recording straight to somesort of drive (cd?) you are essentialy mixing your levels and pan and then recording down to 1 track ... which obviously you can no longer extract your multiple instrument tracks from to remix or pan ... of course that could be remedied by recording to a computer program that would retain the tracks ...

in anyevent, the 1082 in record mode just has you set the levels to the highest nominal level before distortion (optimal recording volume for the instrument) and then you record to computer ... then you switch the bitch in to mixing mode and use the faders on teh 1082 in conjunction with a computer program (could be sonar, protools, acid, ableton, or in my case -- cubase) to do the mixing ... when ever you feel comfortable with your mix you can burn it down to one track ... of course with a computer program you can also save all your original data too, you can even burn the individual tracks to disc and archive them to save disc space .... :D

your question about the redunant mixers between the computer and the mixing board is valid ... but if you were going straight through the mixer in to a dAT device, there would be no computer program ... just straight to disc ...

in the case of my 1082, it has motorized faders, and the computer program actually moves the faders up and down ... or vice versa, you are using the actual faders to control what is recorded on the computer ... one is the interface and the other is the slave. you kinda see?

if your mixer isn't digital it doesn't really work like that ...
    the best thing is to identify some of the best pieces of equipment in your price range that fit the approach you want to take (all-in-one, or best of each class of equipment) .... then start hitting some of the boards on the net and seeing whta other people are doing with these devices ... there are PLENTY of recording forums out there ... just look around!
  • Drifting-BTS,

thanks for clearing up what i said, i was in ahurry and didn't have much time. On some digital mixers, they have hardrives and are able to save your data as you change it. It is handy if your in the garage, at a friends place, on vacation, whatever. You can even make final mixes on the machine, then send to the PC, or send individual tracks. The only problem for these is they are anywhere from 800-2000 dollars, plus mics, plus whatever. i really look down upon the mixer into interface into computer recording though. Because for example if you get a bad feedback from a mic, it ruins all the other tracks, and yuou have no way of eliminating it. There are plenty of 4, 6, 8, 12, 16 MULTI-track recorders out there that i'm sure we coudl help you find. From my knowledgable experience with both these methods, i would highly suggest staying away from the mixers, unless you are lookign into live sound. It woudl be great if we knew yourbudget too!!!!!! cheers

harrison

Again guys, all this help is incredible!

As far as my budget...I can go for whatever right now, nothing outrageous though...preferably under $700, but can go over...nothing over a grand though! The best quality system that fits my needs for the cheapest price. :)
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOSVF160EX

16 tracks for $700...Does this have Powered XLR and all that
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMMRS1608

Now thiso ne has definitely caught my eye! Drum & Bass Machine! Or am I getting excited over nothing?

Thanks again guys, forgive my ignorance!
    cjb5790 wrote:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMMRS1608

Now thiso ne has definitely caught my eye! Drum & Bass Machine! Or am I getting excited over nothing?

Thanks again guys, forgive my ignorance!

I have the MRS802 and love it.
  • CJB,

i sent you a 3 part private message about this topic in response to your PM, they are labled in pages so you wouldn't get lost. PLEASE ask questions if you need to, i really dont want you losing money on gear that will end up being useless, because as soon as gear is purchased it loses its return value

harrison

• CJB,

i sent you a 3 part private message about this topic in response to your PM, they are labled in pages so you wouldn't get lost. PLEASE ask questions if you need to, i really dont want you losing money on gear that will end up being useless, because as soon as gear is purchased it loses its return value

harrison

hey h,
    you should post that message to this thread for the board as well.

all honest info is good info.

i think a lot of lurkers on here look for recording info.

just a thought.
  • hey h,
    you should post that message to this thread for the board as well.

all honest info is good info.

i think a lot of lurkers on here look for recording info.

just a thought.

ok it has its own thread now

harrison