Who knows Ovation guitars?

cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is there a large quality difference in them? If I were to buy the Celebrity CC24 or 44 rather than the Standards?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• my friend has one...i didnt plug it in though...it was nice...not my cup of tea though
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • My guitar teacher sells Ovation guitars, among other brands. I've played one and liked it, but I couldn't tell you about the difference in quality.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    the thing i don't like about them is that the back side is rounded........so if you play it standing up and you have any kind of a belly the guitar slides all over the place
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    the thing i don't like about them is that the back side is rounded........so if you play it standing up and you have any kind of a belly the guitar slides all over the place

Haha!!

Like I said in that other thread, I played this guy's at school and the action on it was wicked!!, But I think they really shine with an amp, and acoustic amps aren't really cheap, and you said you were looking for something reasonably priced?

I figure you'll need an amp for the Ovation, even though I played without and it sounded nice, I wouldn't buy one unless I was planning on getting the amp :)

You could always go with a nicer Yamaha acoustic, some of them are pretty solid.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
    Haha!!

Like I said in that other thread, I played this guy's at school and the action on it was wicked!!, But I think they really shine with an amp, and acoustic amps aren't really cheap, and you said you were looking for something reasonably priced?

I figure you'll need an amp for the Ovation, even though I played without and it sounded nice, I wouldn't buy one unless I was planning on getting the amp :)

You could always go with a nicer Yamaha acoustic, some of them are pretty solid.

Yeah...I'm kinda hoping to get a true-acoustic, but my only fear in that is tuning.
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    My dad has a '77 Celebrity. It's the only acoustic I grew up playing, so I'm partial to them. As far as the difference between them, I can't really say, but I know I love the sound of that big 'ol bowl. Even a cheaper one I think would still be a good choice if you want different acoustic tones.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they really suck........so they're all alike.
    brain of c wrote:
    they really suck........so they're all alike.

Care to share why?
  • cjb5790 wrote:
    Yeah...I'm kinda hoping to get a true-acoustic, but my only fear in that is tuning.

Tuning??

What do you mean??

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    Tuning??

What do you mean??

Tuning a true acoustic properly.
  • I'm not fond of them. You're better off going with a Martin or a Sigma.
  • cjb5790 wrote:
    Tuning a true acoustic properly.

It's not hard at all.

My Art & Lutherie hardly ever goes out of tune, I tune it like once a week at most.

.NJD.
  • OUTHOUSEOUTHOUSE Posts: 39
    I have always found ovation guitars to be rather boring in tone.
    I dont like the rounded back or the weird designs.
    Besides that the materials are non traditional.

Buy a Seagull.

Best for the value in my opinion.

But thats just me.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It's not hard at all.

My Art & Lutherie hardly ever goes out of tune, I tune it like once a week at most.

A&Ls are great guitars. I walked in the store with the intent on buying an ovation and bought the A&L. Just sounded more 'acoustic' to me.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ovations are fine guitars, they last forever and you can drag them through the mud. The back is fairly comfy standing up, sitting down the things always slide off your leg.

Upgrades are in the tops, the neck woods, beautifying features, tuners, pickups and preamps.

The thing that makes the largest difference in tone is the top. I don't know about the particular models you are auditioning but if there is one with a solid top, get that one, it makes a huge difference in resonance.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I've got a friend who just got a ovation celebrity (the black one). I think it sounds pretty good.
    I cannot stand the back of it though. I never use a strap when i play (good 'ol knee for me) and it's impossible to balance it on my knee. the back is fricken' plastic too! wtf?

he spent like $650-700 on it and rarely plays it. he plays his cheap $125 fender dg-7 more.

i think for that kind of money, you could get something a bit better. couple hundred more you can get a taylor or a martin. oh well...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    mca47 wrote:
    I've got a friend who just got a ovation celebrity (the black one). I think it sounds pretty good.
    I cannot stand the back of it though. I never use a strap when i play (good 'ol knee for me) and it's impossible to balance it on my knee. the back is fricken' plastic too! wtf?

he spent like $650-700 on it and rarely plays it. he plays his cheap $125 fender dg-7 more.

i think for that kind of money, you could get something a bit better. couple hundred more you can get a taylor or a martin. oh well...

technically lyracord, but yeah plastic. The guy who designed them was a pilot, not a luthier. Essentially, they are new the most overpriced guitar you can buy in that range, the markup is pretty high. You could get a Taylor 110 for about $650 I think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.