Fender Strat or Epiphone LP?

evenflow1010evenflow1010 Posts: 48
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
My band is a 3 piece, playing grunge, punk, and indie type music. Our guitarist needs a new guitar, and I was wondering what would be the best choice, a Fender Strat or a Epiphone LP (or any other cheap suggestions). With the Fender, you get the real deal for a cheap price, which is a plus. But the real question is which axe is best suited for our type of music.

Also, I hear the LP is has a smoother sound. Is there a considerable difference in smoothness b/t the two?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I would say go with the one that feels the best. Only your guitar player will know when he/she has the right one. To me, there is no difference between the 2 guitars, they both can do the job well.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • I think for the type of music you named, you need humbuckers. So I'd go with the LP. It gives you that fatter, crunchier, heavier sound you want.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • both great..

i have an epiphone lp.. i fucking love it. it does have a smoother more mellow sound to it than a strat style... no whammy though.. i dunno how that affects you.. the change switch is a nice effect when you need it, i think it balances the whammy out.

both should work. If he/she is a lead player i would recommend the les paul. but really.. either will do well :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i'd take the fender, myself.
  • SteveMurraySteveMurray Posts: 66
    imo grunge needs a humbucker. wether that be a epiphone LP or strat with humbucker in the bridge thats up to the guitarist himself to decide
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd be inclined to think that humbuckers will fill the space better, if you only have one guitar. There are Fenders with humbuckers, so don't box yourself into an LP. There are also SG's and various other designs. But I maintain that humbuckers will probably treat you best.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    You certainly do not get the real deal for a cheap price. You pay for the name, and that's not cool.

I assume that you're looking in the $600 or less range for an instrument?

I'd look at a used Reverend guitar in that price range personally :)
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i'd go strat, but i'm biased i guess....

mmm teles are nice too.

i heart fender.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,118
    i agree that if there is just one guitar, go with the LP. I have an epiphone LP that i upgraded the tuners and dropped seymore duncans in and it is hotter than my gibson LP.
    on the other hand a friend has a strat with a hot rail pick up on it which is a humbucker that looks like a single coil and that thing just rips.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Y2A 66Y2A 66 Posts: 11
    Well I think I will agree with the majority here by saying that the LP will give a fuller thick tone that you're probably looking for.
    I also think that you will find an epiphone for a better deal than a fender strat. Even though strats are a decent deal you will still be paying more
    saw things so much clearer...
    want you...in my....REARVIEW MIRROR
    ---
    One thing that I know for sure gonna give her the loving
    Like nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody can.
  • try shecter, it's really worth it. Shecterguitars.com. they sell real good quality for a real low price, all the wood is imported from Asia and the guitars are put together here in the States. the price ranges from 299 to 899, where as if everything would have been from the US you are talking about 1700 the minumum up to 2500
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • NothingbetterNothingbetter Posts: 570
    I have a Fender Strat and I love it, but as mentioned above, only your guitarist will know what kind of sound he's looking for and what's most comfortable for him.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • covincovin Posts: 42
    Grunge? Kurt Cobain played Fenders--they DO make guitars with humbuckers, you know. I would definitely let your guitarist decide, either way.
  • covin wrote:
    Grunge? Kurt Cobain played Fenders--they DO make guitars with humbuckers, you know. I would definitely let your guitarist decide, either way.
    i know he was the lead man for the revolution but kurt wasn't really the heart of grunge.. but this isn't the palce for that now is it? ;)

the worst part about the word "grunge" is that "grunge" is so varied. Are you looking for the nirvana sound, soundgarden, pearl jam, Alice, screaming trees, etc.. You might want to take into account what fits best for your music. twangy rip of a fender or the full mellow les paul :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • covincovin Posts: 42
    Pearl Jam isn't really grunge. They just happened to make their debut in the heat of the movement--Ten was much closer to classic 80s rock than grunge, as was Vs. Grunge is metal and punk rock thrown together. Pearl Jam really doesn't have much of the metal side at all-- whereas Alice-in-Chains was, for all intents and purposes, almost straight-up metal.

If Nirvana wasn't the heart of grunge, then who was? If you're talking about origins, then it would be someone like Green River I suppose. Nirvana was quite obviously the most well-known and easily the most influential; in my mind that makes them inescapably the most important band of the genre. Without them, it's doubtful that grunge would have ever been as popularized as it was.
  • What about mudhoney?
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    What about mudhoney?

go to http://www.ts808.com click on handmade pedals, then scroll down to custom shop.

view the honey pot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I have both. But I wanted to have a fatter sound out of my strat so I put new humbuckers in. My LP is fine how it is. Either one but if you go with the strat you should also go with some modifications.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • I own a ep Les Paul/ HoneyBurst.....Its got a real deal feel to it.....anyone who has picked it up is like...dude...8 out of 10 epiphone LPs suck..but you got a real good one.....its more of a feel thing....both are good guitars...but the les paul to me feels like you got something heavy and strong.......
    Rock out the Les Paul