a good match for my traynor ycv20

evenflow1010evenflow1010 Posts: 48
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought a Traynor on ebay and have been borrowing a friends guitar, but I need to look into getting my own guitar. Any suggestions on what works really well with a Traynor? A MIM strat, perchance, or would humbuckers be better? I know its all based on sound preference, so just throw some favorites out there for me. I'm not looking to spend very much, by the way.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Can't speak for any guitar going well with that amp (never tried it), but a strat is versatile, and a MIM is very inexpensive. By the way, the only difference between MIM and MIA strats I believe is the body construction (number of pieces) and maybe electronics. But the body construction will make a miniscule difference in sound (maybe). Even the 'mexican' necks are made in america and shipped south of the border. Basically, MIM strat = GREAT VALUE. The only thing ya might wanna do is upgrade the pups, that's another $200 maybe. If you want something really versatile get a HSS strat.

Also, strat with low output single coils is probably a good idea for that amp since it doesn't have much headroom, with humbuckers you might not be able to get a very clean sound.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I have a YCV80Q, and both my Strat (singles) and my Godin (humbuckers) sound INCREDIBLE through it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Give me humbuckers any day. They are more versatile than singles, no matter how many switching options you wire up. Versatility to me is more about how the amp andguitar interact, rather than number of pups and switching options.
    Humbuckers will overdrive an amp into growly fluff easy, like having an OD pedal for nothing. If you want super clean, you can back off the volume a little if you need to.
    Also humbuckers don't hum, der !!
    If you are dead keen for a single coil, a humbucker bridge and P90 neck is a killer combination.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Give me humbuckers any day. They are more versatile than singles, no matter how many switching options you wire up. Versatility to me is more about how the amp andguitar interact, rather than number of pups and switching options.
    Humbuckers will overdrive an amp into growly fluff easy, like having an OD pedal for nothing. If you want super clean, you can back off the volume a little if you need to.
    Also humbuckers don't hum, der !!
    If you are dead keen for a single coil, a humbucker bridge and P90 neck is a killer combination.
    BTW, I probably missed it, any news on the BFG?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Guitars with coil splits are nice and very versatile. I think there's some perfectionists out there that say it's not the same as having a humbucking guitar and a single coil guitar... and it's not. But I think it sounds damn good and close enough for rock and roll.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    BTW, I probably missed it, any news on the BFG?

Nah, cops are useless. BUt me mate who also bought one visitied a coupla days ago, and it gutted me to hear his through my good amps. Damn those things have tone. Sadly, it also made me realise that as much as I am trying to like my new strat, it just does not do it for me.

Releveanat to the thread, and the comment above about coil-splits, I am now thinking that the reason coil splitts are poorly regarded, is cos when you jump from a humbucker straight to a single coil, the singles just sound woeful, regardless of whether it is a stand-alone single, or a split humbucker.I plugged into y HUghes and Kettner last night to do some Pink Floyd, and I could not get a decent lead sound. Cleans are OK, but lead tone wise, it's crap. Now I know why people use boost pedals, I never did get that before. Sounded better through my Bad Cat, but nothing like any of my humbuckers.

I am thinking I am going to flick teh stat while it is still brand new, and either buy another BFG to get teh P90 sound and have a beater I can take out that I actually like, or I'll wait and get another LP in the US next year. I'll probably get a BFG. The big Gibbo dealer near me is having an end of year sale next week, I'm gonna ebay the strat today and see if I can free up teh biscuits.
    I know you love your strat, but it's just not me.
    Nah, cops are useless. BUt me mate who also bought one visitied a coupla days ago, and it gutted me to hear his through my good amps. Damn those things have tone. Sadly, it also made me realise that as much as I am trying to like my new strat, it just does not do it for me.

Releveanat to the thread, and the comment above about coil-splits, I am now thinking that the reason coil splitts are poorly regarded, is cos when you jump from a humbucker straight to a single coil, the singles just sound woeful, regardless of whether it is a stand-alone single, or a split humbucker.I plugged into y HUghes and Kettner last night to do some Pink Floyd, and I could not get a decent lead sound. Cleans are OK, but lead tone wise, it's crap. Now I know why people use boost pedals, I never did get that before. Sounded better through my Bad Cat, but nothing like any of my humbuckers.

I am thinking I am going to flick teh stat while it is still brand new, and either buy another BFG to get teh P90 sound and have a beater I can take out that I actually like, or I'll wait and get another LP in the US next year. I'll probably get a BFG. The big Gibbo dealer near me is having an end of year sale next week, I'm gonna ebay the strat today and see if I can free up teh biscuits.
    I know you love your strat, but it's just not me.

Ya I totally understand. The strats ARE a different animal with lower output, and require two different amp settings when switching guitars. I'm not gonna lie, every once in a while I need a humbucker. I'm thiking of getting a BFG or an Epiphone Joe Perry when I go to seattle as a 'Number 2' and set the godin up for slide.
    Ya I totally understand. The strats ARE a different animal with lower output, and require two different amp settings when switching guitars. I'm not gonna lie, every once in a while I need a humbucker. I'm thiking of getting a BFG or an Epiphone Joe Perry when I go to seattle as a 'Number 2' and set the godin up for slide.

Oh boy, you got GAS !!

Trust me, you won't buy an Epiphone in preference to a Gibson once you have played them.
    Even though the BFG is a "barely finished guitar" it is the real deal in tone and feel. My buddy with one is at college, and teh rough finish etc is perfect for that. Chicks also dig them.
    You will find the neck on teh BFG very fat, and the upperfret access takes a good while to get used to, nothing like a double cutaway with a bolt-on neck. The heel of a set neck is quite thick, and it restricts you a lot until you get used to it. YOu wilol often see Slash or Mike or Zakk swing the guitar into a vertical position resting in front of them cos that really helsp to dig into those big bends on teh upper frets.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I have a YCV40 and a MIM Strat, as well as an Epi LP with upgraded pups. They both have their place, and I think the Traynor works equally well with both of them. Picking your guitar is more about what you want out of it though. I have to admit though- if pressed I would chose my strat simply because I like the feel better. Try out some MIM Strats and try out some Les Pauls (or whatever you're into for humbuckers) and see what feels best to you. That's what's really going to motivate you to play in the long run.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Oh boy, you got GAS !!

Yep. I figure, I won't be able to buy gear in University, and thats in two years. So I'm gonna make up for it. The reason the Joe Perry is appealing is the satin neck and the burstbuckers. I unno though, it won't be till AT LEAST October:)
    Yep. I figure, I won't be able to buy gear in University, and thats in two years. So I'm gonna make up for it. The reason the Joe Perry is appealing is the satin neck and the burstbuckers. I unno though, it won't be till AT LEAST October:)

I didn't realise that the Perry had Burstbuckers. That mankes a big diff. The standard Epi pups are nowhere that good.
    I've just been to teh store playing a BFG through a Mesa Stiletto, and a Marshall Vintage MOdern, that wa sfun. I might start another thread and get off this one.
  • anything with a traynor is amazing
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    anything with a traynor is amazing
    +1

When I use my strat, I need to crank it a LITTLE louder to get it there, but once its there, holy shit!