Alnico 5 vs. Alnico 2

zulsliderzulslider Posts: 11
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys,

i'm not sure if someone had asked this question before but i really have a hard time to choose between an alnico 5 bar pickups or an alnico 2 pickup.

Ok..here kind of the list of my instrument...

1)Ibanez SA160QM ( still a beginner... :P )
- maple neck, mahogany with quilted maple top body,
rosewood fingerboard, SAT 30 satellite trem bridge,
current stock pickups - AS2/A2/AH4

2)Peavey Classic 30

Now here's the deal, I want my little ibanez to sound like Mike's huge '59 strat...( i'm not expecting the exact same tone...but as close as it gets is enough for me). Here is kind of the list that i have made a research on...

1)Neck/middle (seymour duncan)
- SSL-1 (Alnico 5 bar magnet)
- APS-1 (Alnico 2 bar magnet)
- SSL52-1 (combines both alnico 5 and 2)

2)Bridge
- SH1-59
- APH-1
- JB Trembucker
- Blues trembucker

That's the list i;m considering for rite now...Hope u guys can provide me the difference and which one should i go for in order to get Mike's sound more or less. Oh yeah, one more thing i like to play stuff from SRV and Jimi Hendrix.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the alnico 2 is slightly less output, but it's really 6.5 to 6.4 OHms. The Alnico 5 is going to have a lot more top end. I'd go with the Alnico 5's on this one. Because I'm thinking the original Strat p/u's are alnico 5's however I'd probably wouldn't be bad to have a 2 in the middle reverse would with a 5 way switch because I think they would balance when both coils are on.

Good luck I don't think you can go wrong with either rig really You won't get it exact but it'll sound damn good.

the trembucker and blues are darker and fatter So if you want fatness out of the bridge they are a good choice.

The 59's going to be brighter just think Les Paul ala Jimmy Paige with a pretty hot output.

The APH-1 is a great pickup and it's not as hot on the output as the others so that's somthing to think about I guess. What you really plan on using the bridge pickup for. I'd call Seymour Duncan and ask, they know it better than I do anyway.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • zulsliderzulslider Posts: 11
    thanks pac79...you seems to know a lot about guitar... :D ...anyway i appreciate your opinion and i think i'm gonna go with the alnico 2 since it sound more sweeter and rounder with my ibanez... by the way...i have another question for you or for anyone out there....

basically i'm pretty much learned all the scales like major..minor...blues pentatonic..minor harmonic and stuff...right now...i just dont know how to use it...i mean i can make a riff out of it but to put it in a song...its a pain in the ass... i would like to know how u guys determine what key is in a song so that i know which scales to use....is it the first note? is it the whole chords being played? or u just have to guess.. :P .... appreciate it if u could help me pac.
  • zulsliderzulslider Posts: 11
    come on guys...anybody have any idea...?